Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Google Ejects Open-Source WireGuard From Android Play Store Over Donation Link In App

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

> The reversal comes on the basis of violating their "payments policy". Of course, Google would much prefer payments be routed through them so they can take their cut...

Exactly the right interpretation, but wrong in the details - because it's not "prefer", it's "MUST ONLY".

For a company that's already rolling in money, with an enormous portion of that revenue coming off the back of the uncompensated work of other people in the first place, Google's determination to grab every tithe they can would be disgraceful behavior in a person. But greed is good, for a corporation. "Don't be evil", my ass. :/

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      What do you mean with "AOSP vs something that actually runs status quo"?
      I missed a comma, I meant "this AOSP vs something that actually runs, status quo". Meaning we have the supposedly open source AOSP which is a shell of an OS vs the fully fledged Android which is mostly Google's closed source services and apps. Both of which need closed source drivers to boot.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
        Why are you seemingly avoiding the fact that proper computers exist? We don't need to do everything on a phone. Computers have big screens and everything. Computers can run videocall applications perfectly well.
        I _do_ have a proper computer with a big screen — but while it's a useful machine when at home, it doesn't fit very well into a pocket, and the same is true of my work laptop. I also have a netbook for travelling, but it's badly underpowered compared to my phone, and still doesn't fit in a pocket. Which means that while all of them have their uses, none of them are actually useful when I'm sitting on a park bench in a far away country, taking a rest while catching up with friends and family.

Comment

Why did they not read the TOS like everyone else?

Old apps on f-droid have light and full versions on google play the latter costing something and throwing in a token feature to get around that limitation. (fbreader, osmand, netgaurd, etc)

Comment

Counter to this is simple: do not target corporate app stores at all, and ignore their money-grubbing policies. So Google Play allows ad-supported crap, but bans donation buttons? Take Google Play OUT of your devices, use F-Droid only. Make no further attempts to develop for Google Play, for this kind of program (security/privacy stuff) many people don't even trust something from Google Play or know to look on F-Droid. Example: Netguard is great for keeping stock ROM phones from phoning home (including to Facebook in the case of BLU phones), but versions carrying both Admob and Crashlytics have appeared on Google Play. On F-Droid these versions are banned, and clean versions of Netguard are available there no matter what the version of the day on Google Play is.

A privacy tip:if you still have a stock ROM phone, disable all "device managers," you can then disable Google Play Services as well as the store and Google Maps, thus stopping Google from tracking your location. If you need maps, use Osmand (front end to OpenStreetMap) instead. Never install ad-supported apps. If you get phone ads as notifications, find the apps sending them and remove the whole app, as you are the PRODUCT to it's authors, not the other way around. The ad buyers are their true customers.

Comment

It's about time to ditch google.
              I've revived my old Motorola Moto G4 with LineageOS. (the successor of Cyanogen Mod) Without that google cruft it works smooth like one of these new $$$ devices.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
                Why are you seemingly avoiding the fact that proper computers exist?
                In the modern world a mobile communication device should be able to deal with images and video too.

If you can't understand that this is what modern non-socially-challenged people expect, it's your own problem.

Computers have big screens and everything. Computers can run videocall applications perfectly well.
                Computers additional screen size and power is completely irrelevant and overkill for communication purposes.

Smartphone-sized devices are perfectly capable to run videocall applications and sharing images without having to drag around a full blown laptop or even a tablet.

Until you show me a "proper computer" that is smartphone-sized and can run most applications that actual real-world people use to communicate and share videos and images and do videocalls, your point is null and void, and you are just proving us that you are too old to comprehend the modern world.
                Last edited by starshipeleven; 17 October 2019, 03:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                  I missed a comma, I meant "this AOSP vs something that actually runs, status quo". Meaning we have the supposedly open source AOSP which is a shell of an OS vs the fully fledged Android which is mostly Google's closed source services and apps. Both of which need closed source drivers to boot.
                  I think you are grossly overestimating the "added value" of Google services and apps.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    Are you seriously so socially recluse that you think SMS and phone calls are anywhere near enough for modern people in a first world country?

Unfortunately you can't seem to comprehend that smartphones are a BIG force multiplier for a lot of people and videocalls are loved by women for some reason.
                    In a 90's project I got a glimpse of what datamining could become.

I still use a Nokia 6310i, nothing wireless in my house, no social media, no Google / Hotmail or other accounts.

I must be a sad person and a dinosaur.

Comment

It came back the same day. Obviously they had to republish it with new ID as their is no reviews attached to.

Shameful from Google!
                      When ever I reported a fork of Open Source software with ads & even some payd that were in GPL violation (no text or mention of anything) they didn't done anything. In some cases I even written to main maintainers of the OS project which at least had some effect.

Comment

Working...
                      X