Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Google Ejects Open-Source WireGuard From Android Play Store Over Donation Link In App

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Ejects Open-Source WireGuard From Android Play Store Over Donation Link In App

Phoronix: Google Ejects Open-Source WireGuard From Android Play Store Over Donation Link In App

Apparently Google doesn't appreciate donation links/buttons within programs found on the Google Play Store even when it's one of the main sources of revenue for open-source programs. WireGuard has been reportedly dropped over this according to WireGuard lead developer Jason Donenfeld...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm really sick of those creeps. What's the difference between ad supported, charging for the software, or having a donation link? I'll tell you what this is about, Google doesn't get any money from that.

Comment

Disgusting...

Comment

It's crazy to think that this process i̶s̶ ̶a̶u̶t̶o̶m̶a̶t̶i̶c̶ so strict. At least it's on https://f-droid.org/en/packages/com.wireguard.android/
        Last edited by Jabberwocky; 16 October 2019, 07:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Termy View Post
          Disgusting...
          Agreed and it is also disgusting that people keep buying Android / iOS phones and support this criminal behavior. Everyone who has this kind of phone is at just as much blame.

What I find even more dire is that even technical users (including on this forum) buy these kinds of phones and try to justify it.

Comment

AppStores are evil, and we should stop using them. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPlfnrbNd_o https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDUawixwiq0 Apple and Google are booth evil and should be avoided, likewise: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-u-rdEiNynE

Comment

Greed hitting again.
              I'm glad that F-droid exists so I don't care what Google does!

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

Agreed and it is also disgusting that people keep buying Android / iOS phones and support this criminal behavior. Everyone who has this kind of phone is at just as much blame.

What I find even more dire is that even technical users (including on this forum) buy these kinds of phones and try to justify it.
                I agree, but...

Are there a pragmatic alternative to Android and iOS? Librem and PinePhone aren't still in that category, they are a lot more idealist than pragmatic.

Linux succeeds because pragmatic reasons, idealistic reasons are secondary. It may be unfortunate, but that's reality that we live in.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
                  What do you propose? pidgeons? There isn't much of an alternative.

That said, Andoid works perfectly fine without Google Play, or without a Google account configured.

Secondary app stores like F-Droid that distribute only FOSS applications exist and can be installed freely on any Android device.

Comment

Originally posted by Grogan View Post
                    I'm really sick of those creeps. What's the difference between ad supported, charging for the software, or having a donation link? I'll tell you what this is about, Google doesn't get any money from that.
                    Newsflash, Google's main revenue on Android is ads and tracking.

Comment

Working...
                    X