Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Google Ejects Open-Source WireGuard From Android Play Store Over Donation Link In App

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

I agree, but...

Are there a pragmatic alternative to Android and iOS? Librem and PinePhone aren't still in that category, they are a lot more idealist than pragmatic.

Linux succeeds because pragmatic reasons, idealistic reasons are secondary. It may be unfortunate, but that's reality that we live in.
    I would have said Tizen, but even after Samsung dumped a load of Tizen phones on Russia & India, they still didn't sell.

The Samsung Tizen Z4 with Tizen v3 OS was the last version I was aware of.

Comment

This is not the first time that happens. Some time ago a well-known application for public transport in Germany was banned from the Play Store as well over a donation link (which was even hidden if the app was installed from Play Store). Meanwhile, thousands of malware apps are lingering in the Play Store, and Google does not care as they make money with them.

Comment

Donation link is NOK but apps infested with adds are OK?
        Fuck you, Google.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
          Yes, but initially it was just Android, not this AOSP vs something that actually runs status quo
          What do you mean with "AOSP vs something that actually runs status quo"?

Comment

Originally posted by reavertm View Post
            Donation link is NOK but apps infested with adds are OK?
            Fuck you, Google.
            Not just normal ads. GoogleAds(tm)

Everything is better if it's from Google.

Comment

Clearly demonstrates that Google is evil.

Comment

Do what many in the FOSS world do, charge a minimal "donation" at the download time.

If Wireguard simply says $5 donation required to download would it pass the Google filter? They still get their cut as the donation is still using Google Pay as the conduit.

Perhaps if Wireguard was registered as a charity or NFP, Google would work on a 100% pass through on the payments so they don't take a cut.

Just slice the pie differently.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                  Clearly demonstrates that Google is evil.
                  Or that they don't think donations are a good way to finance opensource development.

Comment

I hope Huawei is not doing the same mistake. I am already switching to the huawei app store (AppGalery). I am trying to get rid of most of the google dependency. The cloud service of google that I am right now using, I will completely remove in the next month. Same with gdrive. And I am looking into replacing also gmail. I would like to make my own email server, but google is dominating the email field, so that other gmail users can not send emails to other email servers if certain google conditions are not met.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
                      Are there a pragmatic alternative to Android and iOS? Librem and PinePhone aren't still in that category, they are a lot more idealist than pragmatic..
                      Yes, there is. A "dumb" featurephone and a laptop. There are millions around.
                      You could possibly even pick up both the simple phone and the laptop for free second hand.

It sounds like I am being idealistic but honestly if you are using a proper program, you will be at a PC anyway. You do not *need* apps.

Laptops are also tiny. Put one in a bag. If you are hiking and can't have a bag; you should not be faffing about with apps on a Phone anyway.

Your simple phone will also last longer in terms of battery. It really is the right tool for the job.

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                      What do you propose? pidgeons? There isn't much of an alternative.
                      What did you use before Apple made an iPhone cool? A pidgeon?

Were you that strange kid at school or what? When everyone else was using a 3310; you just had loads of pigeons stuffed in your duffel coat? XD

Unfortunately excuses and arguments like this are part of the problem. You are enabling Google and Apple to take more and more. For this reason, I actually blame the consumers more than Google and Apple.
                      Last edited by kpedersen; 16 October 2019, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X