Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Google Ejects Open-Source WireGuard From Android Play Store Over Donation Link In App

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Grogan View Post
    I'm really sick of those creeps. What's the difference between ad supported, charging for the software, or having a donation link? I'll tell you what this is about, Google doesn't get any money from that.
    While I agree that, in this case, the rule is being needlessly applied, I can understand why Google doesn't want payments to be made outside their payment system.

A simple workaround would be for the WireGuard developers to offer two versions on Google Play: (1) a full-featured free version, and (2) a reasonably-priced paid version for those who wish to pay. The paid version need not offer any features beyond those in the free version. Problem solved.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

I agree, but...

Are there a pragmatic alternative to Android and iOS? Librem and PinePhone aren't still in that category, they are a lot more idealist than pragmatic.

Linux succeeds because pragmatic reasons, idealistic reasons are secondary. It may be unfortunate, but that's reality that we live in.
      Excluding some complete opens source based on Android AOSP , I think only alternative ready for mass market (and dumb users) is a combination of Jolla/SailfishOS and some phones.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        Newsflash, Google's main revenue on Android is ads and tracking.
        Newsfash Android is an ads & tracking app....

Comment

It's been like that since app stores exists, like 10 years or more now: their rules specify that you cannot use any payment processor other than the platform's (not even for donations: it applies to all payments), which means Google for Google Play and Apple for the appstore. Whether this is good or bad is another question... So it's been amusing that people and (some) developers still discovers this like it is news, 10 years late.
          Last edited by bobbie424242; 16 October 2019, 09:37 AM.

Comment

It's not the only one at all, looks like Google recently dropped a ton of apps with donation links. The OTP 2FA app andOTP was recently evicted too, for the same reason:

https://github.com/andOTP/andOTP/issues/396

Comment

A project that started as open source, denying revenue to open source projects. The irony...
              And while I can understand why Google wants a share of the revenue, surely they wouldn't go out of business in they made an exception for these projects.

Comment

Originally posted by dekkzz78 View Post

Newsfash Android is an ads & tracking app....
                Newsflash you're posting bullshit, Android does not track a damn unless you install the Google applications and services.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                  A project that started as open source, denying revenue to open source projects. The irony...
                  Android is developed behind closed doors and "code dropped" as opensource by Google every release.

It never "started as opensource" in the true sense, if you know what I mean.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    Android is developed behind closed doors and "code dropped" as opensource by Google every release.

It never "started as opensource" in the true sense, if you know what I mean.
                    Yes, but initially it was just Android, not this AOSP vs something that actually runs status quo

Comment

Indeed this is not a new policy, and I've seen some apps work around the issue by issuing a full-featured version of the app offered for free and linking to a "donation key" app also on the Play Store that costs something and only serves the purpose of allowing donation via Google-approved means (plus in-app thank-you note if desired).

What I'm not sure this workaround covers is a means to handle variable donation amounts, which is a welcome feature in the donations model. Some other stores (eg: itch.io) handle donations as "pay zero or more for an app".

Is anyone aware of any form of support for user-determined price over Google Play Store? If it doesn't yet exist, it could be negotiable with Google as a compromise solution for opensource apps on the Play Store.

Meanwhile, F-Droid is our best friend.

Comment

Working...
                      X