Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Project Trident Switching From TrueOS/FreeBSD Distribution To Basing On Void Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Sorry?
    FreeBSD loonies freaked out over people saying *hugs* online.

While the Void pony stuff just seems like humor to me.

Because many ponies enjoyed the The Advent of Void: Day 25: ponysay post we decided to release a new Void Linux image with all your friends onboard.

Who of you ever wanted a pony for Christmas? Turns out, Void Linux already includes some. Don’t worry, they are just virtual yet just a command away:

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      I don't know about FreeBSD but the derivatives (FreeNAS and PFSense for example) are pretty stable and with a decent track record. But then again they are not "servers" proper.

Then again, a funny issue I have with BSDs in general is that their handling of ACPI tables (and bugs of them) is inferior to Linux.

I have encountered a bunch of boards where Linux would boot 100% fine (with or without complaining about ACPI issues), while FreeNAS, XigmaNAS (older fork), and Pfsense/OPNSense would just kernel panic and crash.

I have one of such boards right here, a decent Intel server board with socket 775 and up to 8 GB ECC ram support, but nope. FreeBSD just kernel panics while Linux boots perfectly fine. Guess what OS I'm going to install in this thing to make a storage appliance (a semi-custom SOHO NAS)?
      Windows 3.2 -- Chinese characters and NetBios FTW

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

"Sometimes" XD

No. My advice as a fan of BSD is if I can't use BSD, I would rather not use anything. I would just use a pen and paper!
        So you'd use Slackware instead?

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

Oh how funny. Lennart is probably composing a nasty 30-page email to the Trident devs at this moment.
          I thought it was other people who say nasty things about him, not the other way around? Basically it seems like what attracted these folks to Void Linux was the fact it uses a lot of immature and/or inferior technologies and eschews consolidation and standards. That doesn't impress me about Project Trident.

Comment

Currently GhostBSD and NomadBSD have better work done, they have an function desktop. Project Trident never has!

In FreeBSD you have an second installer, the package "desktop-installer" run it and you have a basic desktop!

Help for FreeBSD desktop are in youtube videos from RoboNuggie:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxw...CgmHA/featured
            Posible the people from Project Trident need see this and coming back to FreeBSD.

FreeBSD is like RedHat/CentOS in the Linux World, seen a little bit old but does an excelent work. FreeBSD and RedHat/CentOS is not created for the latest software, but for the stable software.

Comment

Originally posted by q5sys View Post
              Trident Dev chiming in...
              The highest reported user count was just above 18000 last spring, that was before the TrueOS/Trident Split. Right now on bsdstats, TrueOS still has around 8000 users, Trident isn't tracking users, so we don't know how many we have. But I'm well familiar with your comments all over Twitter/Reddit/FreeBSDForums/etc... You don't like the project and you seem to enjoy taking every possible opportunity to try to smear the project. One benefit of going to linux is that we'll wont have to deal with your constant PR hate campaign anymore.

Void has been around for over 10 years already. It's just gone under the radar for most folks, it's only a 4 years younger than Ubuntu.

Also, Neither Ken nor myself have a FreeBSD Ports commit bit. So when something would break, we could submit a patch... but it might get ignored entirely. In some cases bugs I reported that we were running into went unresolved for +6 months. That's just not something we felt comfortable subjecting our users to. iXsystems is not involved in Trident at all, whereas they were involved in TrueOS. So in the past when TrueOS needed things patched and pushed, it got done. Ken and I didn't and still don't have the ability to get patches accepted.

So a couple things. Firstly, I used to be a Linux Dev before joining the TrueOS Team a while ago. I'm eager to be able to get back into something Im more familiar with. Ken and I both work on the Lumina Desktop and the main bulk of our work on TrueOS was on the desktop and desktop utilities. Our goal is to make a modern minimal desktop that still follows the classic paradigms of Desktop Environments, but doesn't throw it all away and try to be a tiling manager. We had a suite of graphical tools that we wrote for FreeBSD, we will be porting most of those over to Linux. The key point here is that the utilities themselves are standalone. The wireless networking utility is just that, a wireless tray utility. It's not baked into any particular DE. If you like it and you're on another desktop, you can use it without needing everything else. We're trying to follow the Unix idea of 'a tool does one job and does it well' as much as we can. Over time we'll be porting all of our smaller applications over as well as continue work on the Lumina Desktop. We also plan to help void with bringing more packages into their package system. We've read people talking about how some applications are available with XBPS, if we find some that arent and we are able to add them to void's package system we will.

Last time I talked to Lennart (2015 I think) we were on good terms, so I dont expect to get a nasty email from him. lol

We will not be using BTRFS. We've already got ZFS on root working fine on Void.
              Are you able (read: in the know and permitted) to shed some light about the future of TrueOS itself? It looks like it's development has ground to halt (very few commits over the past months last I checked github).

Is iXSystems as a whole (meaning also FreeNAS and TrueOS) also considering moving over to Linux, now that inter-platform support for ZFS is gradually unifying and using ZFS on Linux is becoming more feasible?

Comment

Working...
              X