Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Project Trident Switching From TrueOS/FreeBSD Distribution To Basing On Void Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project Trident Switching From TrueOS/FreeBSD Distribution To Basing On Void Linux

Phoronix: Project Trident Switching From TrueOS/FreeBSD Distribution To Basing On Void Linux

Project Trident has been one of the lesser known BSD distributions derived from TrueOS (formerly PC-BSD) and making use of the FreeBSD package set. But moving forward the distribution is looking to reinvent itself as a derivative of Void Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Issues with hardware compatibility, communications standards, or package availability continue to limit Project Trident users.
    See, FreeBSD team? That's what you get for going the SJW way.
    Last edited by tildearrow; 15 October 2019, 12:16 AM.

Comment

This is big news. Crazy even. Looks like rolling your own with the FreeBSD base install is the best route to a modern BSD desktop nowadays. I really wish FreeBSD would care more about the desktop segment. I love OpenBSD but they care so much about security that one can't use wine or virtualbox which are musts for me, so FreeBSD is the next best thing. Switched my main machine from Manjaro to FreeBSD 12.0 in August and love the separation of base system from packages and that you can't f*up the system as easily, but the desktop experience does leave a little bit to be desired.

Comment

So this means desktop BSD effort is dead as TrueOS is a server OS? What a waste.

I'll be willing to give FreeBSD another try when Wine support has caught up with Linux and can use DXVK and D9VK with Nvidia.
        Last edited by Xaero_Vincent; 15 October 2019, 01:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
          So this means desktop BSD effort is dead as TrueOS is a server OS? What a waste.
          FreeBSD desktop is not synonymous with TrueOS or Project Trident.

From what I know of FreeBSD desktop/laptop users almost no one used TrueOS or Project Trident as a daily driver. Some used Lumina.

Currently GhostBSD and NomadBSD do a lot better work at ready to be used FreeBSD desktop, check them out, then try out Project Trident and You will understand what I mean.

You can of course roll your own FreeBSD desktop like me but it takes some time to create:
          The FreeBSD Desktop series are about creating efficient desktop environment on the FreeBSD system. It is applicable to all supported FreeBSD versions – you can check which FreeBSD versions ar…

... but it took me the same amount of work on Linux - to create my 'desktop environment' on Slackware and Gentoo so it really does not matter if its FreeBSD, Linux or something else.

Regards.

Comment

kylew77 Check out NetBSD for qemu , wine ,NVMM ..

Comment

So this means desktop BSD effort is dead as TrueOS is a server OS? What a waste..
              That is a bit like saying that desktop Linux efforts are dead since Alpine Linux is a server OS. TrueOS is pretty niche and does not reflect BSD as a whole.

I'll be willing to give FreeBSD another try when Wine support has caught up with Linux and can use DXVK and D9VK with Nvidia.
              Possibly don't bother for your specific use case; it isnt a goal to catch up with Linux for these entertainment technologies. In your particular case, if you want to use Wine (Windows layer), DXVK (Windows API clone), D9VK (Windows API clone) and Nvidia (binary blob where Windows is the primary focus), it sounds like you are really pining for Windows and possibly should use that instead for your best experience.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
                In your particular case, if you want to use Wine (Windows layer), DXVK (Windows API clone), D9VK (Windows API clone) and Nvidia (binary blob where Windows is the primary focus), it sounds like you are really pining for Windows and possibly should use that instead for your best experience.
                Thankfully we can use these under Linux. Sometimes with even better experience when comes to older games. A typical advice from BSD crowd: if you don't want BSD then better use Windows than Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                  Why would you assume that "communications standards" has anything to do with SJW's, or that this project has any connection to FreeBSD?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Or they're talking about LibreSSL

Comment

Working...
                    X