The FSF Is Re-Evaluating Its Relationship With The GNU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
    So yeah, I've dealt with racism, sexual harassment, systemic racism, threats with physical violence and I do stand behind what I said before -- if something happens to you, say something when it happens else you just have a collection of shitty stories like myself.
    I wouldn't be surprised if there are quite alot of people who, like you, were abused and said nothing, but in hindsight know that was a mistake. Would you have listened to reason while it was happening to you though? Perhaps you would have if you had the right support as well.

Comment

Originally posted by fsfhfc2018 View Post

He still spends most of his time on free software issues. The fact that it he takes a break from that for more things than eating and crapping isn't all that significant.

Stallman doesn't want to or need to retire. If the FSF fails to support him, he's ultimately going to take a number of people with him-- even as he asks those people to stay. The way things are going, the FSF stands to alienate still more people with their actions towards Stallman, even as (minor portions of) the mob make it clear that nothing short of a public beheading will satisfy them: https://s.put.re/nggmei3L.jpg
      I guessed he does not want to retire and glad he is working for Free Software.

Comment

Except I have been & I didn't say anything.

I was a chubby kid in school so of course the other kids would grab my tits, tease me over weight, smack my ass...it was very degrading and I feared retaliation so I never said anything. Luckily for me someone picked a fight with me in the middle of the school cafeteria and I f*cked that dude up and no one messed with me again after that.

I was also a white kid in a school that had mostly black administrators and during my junior year I was known as "that cracker that uses the phone everyday" because I was in a vocational school for the last half of the day, the bus dropped me back off on the HS campus and my choices were to wait an hour and a half for the school bus to take me home or call and get permission to leave early (some dumbass school policy prevented my parents from giving the school permission for me to leave early everyday). After a few months of that I said something and was told "she's such a nice lady and she'd never say anything like that" so the administration wouldn't do anything. If I only had a camera phone in 2002...

I had a black manager who used to refer to me to other employees as "the person who goes home and calls all of us, you know that word, niggers". The only problem was I had family that was her manager so the owner wouldn't take my complaints for fear of nepotism complaints. She also had family that worked there and didn't like that my work-ethics made her and 90% of the people there look plain bad so they all did everything they could to make my life miserable from racist comments to groups of her family threatening to beat my ass.

So yeah, I've dealt with racism, sexual harassment, systemic racism, threats with physical violence and I do stand behind what I said before -- if something happens to you, say something when it happens else you just have a collection of shitty stories like myself.
        Interesting story. Stories like this are never published. It is like they would not exist, yet I was very sure they do exist because people are the same no matter of the color of a skin.

Comment

Originally posted by moilami View Post

Interesting story. Stories like this are never published. It is like they would not exist, yet I was very sure they do exist because people are the same no matter of the color of a skin.
          Frankly, I just don't like thinking about it. All it is now is just negativity and bad thoughts and the only purpose they now serve is to make me feel like crap.

It's also why I try to be a nice and friendly person out in the real world. Hold the door open for people, please and thank you and pardon me all that, lift stuff for people who don't look like they're able, turning the other cheek and not cussing out that rude Boomer, etc. You just never know what a person has been through and what kind of negativity and bad thoughts you acting like a piece of crap is going to bring up in another. I know there's been horrible days, the kind of horrible days where you lose your faith in humanity, where I'd have liked to have had a single random act of niceness done for me so I try to do those random acts for others.

Due to my scruffy long hippie hair, lazy shaving habits, a constant case of resting b1tch face, and an extreme Southern drawl in my voice, I get a lot of odd looks of I did not expect that guy to assist me like I was gonna be some KKK racist motherf*cker. It's all good. The only way to break stereotypes like that is by trying to be a kind person and I don't mind trying to do my part.

Comment

Frankly, I just don't like thinking about it. All it is now is just negativity and bad thoughts and the only purpose they now serve is to make me feel like crap.

It's also why I try to be a nice and friendly person out in the real world. Hold the door open for people, please and thank you and pardon me all that, lift stuff for people who don't look like they're able, turning the other cheek and not cussing out that rude Boomer, etc. You just never know what a person has been through and what kind of negativity and bad thoughts you acting like a piece of crap is going to bring up in another. I know there's been horrible days, the kind of horrible days where you lose your faith in humanity, where I'd have liked to have had a single random act of niceness done for me so I try to do those random acts for others.

Due to my scruffy long hippie hair, lazy shaving habits, a constant case of resting b1tch face, and an extreme Southern drawl in my voice, I get a lot of odd looks of I did not expect that guy to assist me like I was gonna be some KKK racist motherf*cker. It's all good. The only way to break stereotypes like that is by trying to be a kind person and I don't mind trying to do my part.
            Haha, you sound like a personality. I wish I could hear that extreme Southern drawl

To me you sound like a winner, you have spirit and prefer to be a decent person. In my opinion being a decent person mean that you treat people you meet well. This is a crazy world and for many it is maybe too hard to be a decent person. Life is strange and nature is beautiful. I appreciate a lot you sharing thoughts about life with me. It is moments like this what make life special.

Comment

Originally posted by JorgePeixoto View Post
              Hi guys. Please read this: <https://jorgemorais.gitlab.io/justice-for-rms/>. Stallman has his flaws, but the public assessment of his character has been gravely contaminated by a storm of hate.
              Counterpoint - maybe google his "love cards" and the fact that, because he hates plants, many of the female faculty at MIT had a SHITLOAD of plants in their offices to keep him away, because he was such a harassing douchebag. Several personal reports as well, of him being very creepy when staying with people for conferences, etc. Never mind his past pedo-guy statements. If this was his ONLY transgression, then this would be a witch hunt. He's been creepy / stalkerish / sexually harassing / etc for decades..

Comment

Hello vw_fan17.
                Originally posted by vw_fan17 View Post

Counterpoint - maybe google his "love cards" and the fact that, because he hates plants, many of the female faculty at MIT had a SHITLOAD of plants in their offices to keep him away, because he was such a harassing douchebag. Several personal reports as well, of him being very creepy when staying with people for conferences, etc. Never mind his past pedo-guy statements. If this was his ONLY transgression, then this would be a witch hunt. He's been creepy / stalkerish / sexually harassing / etc for decades..
                I will repeat here the relevant parts of the comment I posted on LWN about this (original at https://lwn.net/Articles/802131/):
                My text focuses on reliable evidence, not on the social network hate fest. Social networks are a cesspool. They are what gave us evils like Trump, Bolsonaro (whom I call "Bolsomorte") and anti-vaccine hysteria, just to name a few. I find it absurd to destroy a man's career and harm his unique vision because of social network accusations. In fact, I read at least six articles from the professional news media and they focus strongly on those two mischaracterized emails and on the opinions about sex on stallman.org. They hardly quote any accusation from social networks. I believe this reinforces my position: social media is so awful that even sensationalist journalists avoid relying on it.
                All that (above) said, in this case I still did read lots of accusations on social networks. I just didn't publicize them. Taking his circumstances[1] into consideration, what I see is a man with low social skills but who did not want to be alone forever. Quoting [1]:
                He's missing the skill of guessing what others are thinking. In dating, this means his option 1 is to not try, due to fear of rejection, and live the rest of his life alone, or option 2, which he chooses, is to be direct and ask."
                1: https://lwn.net/Articles/799566/
                So the only repeated real (actually problematic and minimally corroborated) offense in this story is that a socially unskilled man often directly asked women on dates without first creating interest, and often handed pleasure cards (a pun on "business or pleasure?" -- please read [1] for context). Is that nearly bad enough to expel him from MIT and, worse, the FSF and GNU that he founded himself? This is clearly out of proportion and only happened because 1) the widespread and shockingly bad mischaracterization of those two emails, 2) intolerance of the extremely liberal opinions about sex on his website, even after he retracted the most shocking one, and 3) the current awful political zeitgeist.
                He has already been expelled from MIT, the FSF, and now he announced incremental reforms on GNU decision making. This is more than enough to address the actual issues (assuming the mentioned reforms do materialize). We do not have to surrender everything to the social network mob. It would in fact be a great injustice.

Comment

This threads should not exist and instead GNU devs focus on other thins like fixing bugs in their code.
                  GNOME devs fixing memory leaks and performance penalties. GNOME DE without proper hardware acceleration it's barely usable in a virtual machine or without proper video drivers. Chasing Stallman solve exactly nothing.

Comment

Working...
                  X