Richard Stallman Reportedly Steps Down As Head Of The GNU Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
    You highlight some of the worse aspects of the GPL and why it is a hideous license. GPL takes away developer freedom and rights.
    For people that want to be in community, GPL is the best License!

For people that doesn't like to share, there are other licenses available..
    Of Course if you use them, then, you will not have the same amount of people working on them, or even some companies could close source code.. Sony?
    But its what you chose, why to complain then?!

Comment

Originally posted by fsfhfc2018 View Post
      Of note is that the link (the anchor portion of the link) is now dead:

From the Phoronix article: https://stallman.org/archives/2019-j...9_(GNU_Project)

This no longer mentions resigning from GNU. It did previously: http://archive.is/36Jgx

-----
      Very interesting. When I saw his site yesterday, he had the same post on the 27th and the 28th about resigning from GNU, which I thought was odd.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69

I’m not a big fan of Stallman but frankly he is getting screwed over here. No ones job should hinge on a few words. The left reminds me sadly of the McCarthy era and honestly they are using the same tactics. Extremely disturbing to say the least. Just yesterday I learned that NYC has outlawed speech they don’t like there. Disgusting and overbearing.

I have to wonder how Apple will handle some of these leftist Democrats that are actively trying to tear the company apart, some of which are in the running for the White House. If Apple wants to stay Apple they may very well have to support Trump or whomever gets the Republican ticket.

the only good thing about this battle for the Constitution is that the vast majority of liberals are concentrated in Cities thus are easy targets.
        I'm glad Stallman is stepping down and I'm a right-wing/republican voter, so not sure why you think only the "leftists" are against him.

Comment

Originally posted by UlisesH View Post

It's an automated system. As far as blogs go, phoronix is one of the most pro free speech
          Yeah, Phoronix is unique. But I wonder how long? I am sure there are plenty of people who would like to get Phoronix heavily moderated so that everything they don't agree with is labeled as hateful and hate speech. It could be just a matter of time when Michael will have to bend over for them.

Now Phoronix is like Gaul in Asterix and Obelix, the last fortress of free speech, the last place not fallen under tyranny of thought police

Comment

Originally posted by moilami View Post

Yeah, Phoronix is unique. But I wonder how long? I am sure there are plenty of people who would like to get Phoronix heavily moderated so that everything they don't agree with is labeled as hateful and hate speech. It could be just a matter of time when Michael will have to bend over for them.

Now Phoronix is like Gaul in Asterix and Obelix, the last fortress of free speech, the last place not fallen under tyranny of thought police
            You have 666 posts and that offends me because it's a known hate and evil number

Michael Why do you allow Satanic numbers on your website?

(this is satire)

Comment

Originally posted by UlisesH View Post

It's an automated system. As far as blogs go, phoronix is one of the most pro free speech
              Here's THE problem:

If it were under manual control, there would be a fire-storm of righteous indignation. And--sorry to use almost the same word again--rightly so.
              As it is, because the moderation system is--get ready for that awe-inspiring, quick-answer-to-everything-nowadays--automated, it must be absolutely above reproach and beyond questioning by us mere mortals--as "automated" means "performed by a computer".

This is precisely, exactly what is wrong with the whole concept of AI--the newest (to be resurrected again, that is) "baffle-'em-with-bullshit" bandwagon.

"I find that the main reason a lot of people are interested in artificial intelligence is for the same reason a lot of people are interested in artificial limbs--they are missing one."--David L. Parnas

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

You have 666 posts and that offends me because it's a known hate and evil number

Michael Why do you allow Satanic numbers on your website?

(this is satire)
                Haha, after a few years "most righteous" places would never ever allow such symbolism in any form no matter what. I am surprised there is not already bugs filed in forum software whining of different post count numbers and their relations to hate groups.

Comment

Originally posted by deabru View Post
                  The message of his resignation no longer appears in his blog.
                  I wonder why. Has he returned to leadership?

Comment

Taking Linux and GNU out of this, if any Board of Directors member of any org posted what he did, they would also be gone. Except in this case it's compounding with Harvard and MIT taking millions to fund a global pedo/eugenicists research.

And to be even more clear, this is way beyond CoC(my feelings hurt) territory. It's in active Federal and International crimes against humanity territory.

The crap part is, he's one of those that aren't involved with any of this. At least he wasn't documented on that plane to CARISJAMES. The others, steering our society, are still walking around unscathed. There is no upside for anyone here. It just demonstrates to the people who act/acted on this stuff to keep quiet.

And to be even more clear about the optics, RMS even lost 4chan with his 'actual' comments. Not reported. They are after him now too. Apparently even those sick twist have limits.

Comment

• Originally posted by deabru View Post
                      The message of his resignation no longer appears in his blog.
                      It's back actually. There are archives that show it was there, then not there, then back, but I've heard from Stallman in the past 12 hours or so:

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider ]]]
                      [[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies, ]]]
                      [[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

I did not resign from GNU.
                      The statement was posted in error.
                      I am still the Chief GNUisance.

--
                      Dr Richard Stallman
                      Founder, Free Software Foundation (https://gnu.org, https://fsf.org)
                      Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org)

Comment

Working...
                      X