Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Richard Stallman To Continue As Head Of The GNU Project

Phoronix: Richard Stallman To Continue As Head Of The GNU Project

While Richard Stallman resigned as president of the Free Software Foundation last week, he just announced he'll be continuing as head of the GNU Project...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

When it comes tot he digital freedom there's no other person that I respect more than Richard Stallman.
    I don't know what happened with the Free Software Foundation, but i would not call it as that without Richard Stallman.
    Anyway congratulations and thank you to Richard Stallman for fighting for so long with giants that are against user's privacy and liberty!
    Last edited by Danny3; 27 September 2019, 03:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
      When it comes tot he digital freedom there's no other person that I respect more than Richard Stallman.
      I don't know what happened with the Free Software Foundation, but i would not call it as that without Richard Stallman.
      Anyway congratulations and thank you to Richard Stallman for fighting for so long with giants that are agains user's privacy and liberty!
      My virtue signaling detector is overheating.

Comment

That's OK. Hopefully microsoft, GNOME etc, will find a more suitable candidate to lead the FSF.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
          I don't know what happened with the Free Software Foundation...

Then pressure, a.o. from some people of the Gnome Foundation, and Stallman was forced to resign...

Comment

I'm glad that he hasn't resigned from the GNU project.

I wonder whether contributing to GNU projects requires handing over the rights for your code to the FSF, though. Would this mean that there's a possibility someone will get kicked out for not having opinions that align with the FSF? Considering the shift of tone on their forum, I'm worried whether I'd be able to contribute to GNU in the future.

Comment

I could be wrong but I seem to remember that you need to assign the copyright to your code to the FSF if you want it to be an official GNU package. But you can of course release software under the GPL without involving the FSF at all if you choose to.

Comment

Originally posted by sverris View Post

Then pressure, a.o. from some people of the Gnome Foundation, and Stallman was forced to resign...
                I am skeptical of the claim that voluntarily pedophilia harms children.
                When called out on it (of course 100% honest):
                Through personal conversations in recent years, I've learned to understand how sex with a child can harm per psychologically.

Comment

I'm 100% positive as well that people quoting that reddit comment didn't see that one, "oops": https://www.reddit.com/r/programming...m_medium=web2x
                  Last edited by AsuMagic; 26 September 2019, 05:36 PM.

Comment

I am skeptical of the claim that voluntarily pedophilia harms children.

May depend on the context in which this was said. Sounds to me like he wanted to point out the 'voluntary' aspect. But still, even despite being 'voluntary', I would say that it can harm. But concerning the case in question, I do not get the impression that his remarks were inappropriate.

Comment

Working...
                    X