X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• moilami
    replied
    Originally posted by PreparationH67 View Post
    The amount of people in this thread who seem to think "free speak" means free to say whatever you want and treat other people however you want is disturbing. Grow up you petulant toddlers.
    I find double standard in that sentence massive. Boggles my mind how one can even write something like that regarding Stallman as being topic and in the light what happened to him.

I almost have to pinch myself to check if I am in sleep, this is so crazy.

Regardless, free speech means you can think whatever you want, you can listen whatever you want, and you can speak about your thoughts or things you hear. That is free speech.

I find it hard to believe that there really is massive movement against free speech. This is like from some bad dystopian movie.

Leave a comment:

• torsionbar28
    replied
    Originally posted by GI_Jack View Post

Not true. But speaking of "Open Source", and the OSI, was started by a Fellow named Eric Raymond. If you thought Stallman was bad, Raymond is worse. Open confederate apologist libertarian. Which is 90% of the slurrs against stallman for being too far left.

Here is your "open source" right here: http://esr.ibiblio.org/?p=7660
    Top of the page, he says:

"I’m a Yankee from Boston by birth and inclination. I’ve never bought into Lost Cause romanticism; I’ve studied the history and don’t buy the revisionism about tariffs or troop callups. The South revolted to defend the indefensible of chattel slavery, and deserved its defeat."

What part of that can be construed as "confederate apologist"? I know reading comprehension insults are low blow, but seriously dude, read the words before you post. Sounds like you have some personal animus against Eric Raymond; this is not the place to vent your personal problems.

Thanks for sharing that article with me though, it was thoughtful and insightful and Eric has a much clearer grasp on this subject matter than you do.
    Last edited by torsionbar28; 27 September 2019, 02:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

• torsionbar28
    replied
    Originally posted by Ananace View Post
    I'd love to hear from someone who's less personally invested in the whole thing, did Stallman actually keep a mattress in his office?
    Did he really offer female visitors the chance to lay topless on it?
    Did he really tell multiple females that he'd commit suicide if they didn't date him?
    Did he really write on his own door that he was a knight of justice (And hot ladies)?

To me, the argument that it was only his views on paedophilia that led to everything that's happened seems like such a strawman if any of the other - in my opinion much worse - allegations are true.
    I can really see how - if those allegations are true - he would make all female scientists and researchers extremely uncomfortable, and in that case forcing him out would most definitely be the right thing to do. After all, you do not want to alienate the entire female segment of the scientific community just for a single person.
    A single individual's silliness "alienates the entire female scientific community"? Because all women are just so feeble and delicate that one man's silliness will scare them all off? Riiiight. Careful, your misogyny is showing.

Leave a comment:

• trizio
    replied
    Originally posted by GI_Jack View Post

Not true. But speaking of "Open Source", and the OSI, was started by a Fellow named Eric Raymond. If you thought Stallman was bad, Raymond is worse. Open confederate apologist libertarian. Which is 90% of the slurrs against stallman for being too far left.

Jeez, what a shithole. It's basically the septic tank where virgin and jobless white men end up...

Leave a comment:

• GI_Jack
    replied

don't worry guis i found the perfect libertarian spokesperson for open source

Leave a comment:

• GI_Jack
    replied
    Originally posted by alcalde View Post

The hagiographies of Stallman are mind-blowing. Many, many people have shaped open source. Let's be honest about this for once - Stallman "stood up" because he has some sort of mental disorder that makes him fanatically devoted to something. Heck, the man used to live in his MIT office! Instead of worshiping him, people should have been taking care of him and getting him some help so maybe he could live a normal life.

His "software freedom" stuff is just bizarre and has no relevance to the real world.

Leave a comment:

• Maudit
    replied
    Originally posted by PreparationH67 View Post

Stop playing keyboard lawyer, you are not very good at it.
    If you have something to say, then It will be my pleasure to respond you.
    But if you have nothing to say about my post, you should shut up, please. You are not even a moderator to tell me "stop to ...".
    Last edited by Maudit; 27 September 2019, 12:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Danielsan
    replied
    Originally posted by dreich View Post
    That's OK. Hopefully microsoft, GNOME etc, will find a more suitable candidate to lead the FSF.
    Pretty sarcastic comment...

Leave a comment:

• PreparationH67
    replied
    The amount of people in this thread who seem to think "free speak" means free to say whatever you want and treat other people however you want is disturbing. Grow up you petulant toddlers.

Leave a comment:

• PreparationH67
    replied
    Originally posted by Maudit View Post
    You are absolutely right. In fact it is not part of freedom of speech, the freedom to defame a person.
    For example, saying that "RMS defended Epstein" is a clear example of defamation:
    1) because it is false;
    2) because it is said with a malicious intent.
    Defamation is a crime, not freedom of speech.
    Stop playing keyboard lawyer, you are not very good at it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X