Microsoft Outs .NET Core 3.0 With Continued Linux Support & Better Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fuzz View Post
    I specifically said "Legally or not". Even if they get rid of the project the source code will always be available,
    To be able to provide the source code you need to have copyright. patent and trademark law in alignment. With current licensing around .net and other item so called open source they can serous ally pull the rug out from under them.

It goes like this to screwed.
    1) Microsoft takes down hosting.
    2) You are hosting Microsoft uses trademark law to say you have to alter the source to remove the trademarks.
    3) You remove the trademark stuff from the code as you are legally required todo so making it modified code.
    4) Microsoft hits you with the patent license because its now modified code.
    5) The source code is gone from the open at this point because you are checkmated.

This is a shared source trap. They share source with you with some clause somewhere to screw you over.

This also is not the only project they have open sourced. Don't get me wrong,
    I would not call a lot of what you would called open source as open source. What Microsoft did is shared source. Looks close but there is a functional problem in the licensing that allows Microsoft if they choose to end the source access by force.

I wish they would use the GPL. But all this hate just because it's microsoft is childish.
    Microsoft would not had to do a GPL. Apache or MPL patent grant would have been good enough. If the stuff was under a MIT with a Apache/MPL patent grant we could be sure that someone could keep that source code around forever.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

To be able to provide the source code you need to have copyright. patent and trademark law in alignment. With current licensing around .net and other item so called open source they can serous ally pull the rug out from under them.

It goes like this to screwed.
      1) Microsoft takes down hosting.
      2) You are hosting Microsoft uses trademark law to say you have to alter the source to remove the trademarks.
      3) You remove the trademark stuff from the code as you are legally required todo so making it modified code.
      4) Microsoft hits you with the patent license because its now modified code.
      5) The source code is gone from the open at this point because you are checkmated.

This is a shared source trap. They share source with you with some clause somewhere to screw you over.

I would not call a lot of what you would called open source as open source. What Microsoft did is shared source. Looks close but there is a functional problem in the licensing that allows Microsoft if they choose to end the source access by force.

Microsoft would not had to do a GPL. Apache or MPL patent grant would have been good enough. If the stuff was under a MIT with a Apache/MPL patent grant we could be sure that someone could keep that source code around forever.
      You don't seem to understand the meaning of "legally or not". I'm done trying to explain it to you.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
        it was written when c++ wasn't available
        lol, no. C++ was surely around back then. Not so standard, nor the C++ we know and love today, but it existed.

Comment

You don't seem to understand the meaning of "legally or not". I'm done trying to explain it to you.
          No I understand "legally or not".
          1) Problem for something to remain long term easy accessible it has to be legal.
          2) Problem for something to remain long term maintained it has to be legal as well.

Legally or not is just a excuse people pull out so they can put their head in the sand to the legal problem. This means people are not asking Microsoft to make patent license part more correct.

Really its a smart way Microsoft done it to look harmless.

CoreCLR is the runtime for .NET Core. It includes the garbage collector, JIT compiler, primitive data types and low-level classes. - dotnet/coreclr

The reality is sections of .net are already apache2 license. If Microsoft made the complete code base apache 2 there would not be legal question. If you read Apache2 it does not list a hosting location. So you can modify and mirror the code no problems.

CoreCLR is the runtime for .NET Core. It includes the garbage collector, JIT compiler, primitive data types and low-level classes. - dotnet/coreclr

"Covered Code" means those Microsoft .NET libraries and runtime components as made available by Microsoft at github.com/dotnet/coreclr,
          github.com/dotnet/corefx and github.com/dotnet/corert.
          See the problem the patent promise in fact details where the source has to come from. This means you make a fork and modify something its not patent promise covered. So this means a third party cannot effectively take over maintainer-ship of .net core.

Yes Microsoft did not list everything in the dotnet github is covered either for example https://github.com/dotnet/core is not listed so not covered by the patent promise. So not all of net core 3.0 source is covered by the patent promise either. Like min useful patent promise would have been like everything under github.com/dotnet is covered but that is not what we have.

Yes we need to be asking Microsoft please give us a proper patent license or just be simple and license the complete thing apache2. Until then it a shared source trap of unmaintainable by other parties.

Comment

Not the same problem in usermode.
            there are many usermode hardware drivers, so i don't buy it
            Yes the word class in Linux kernel is used a huge number of times
            fixed with trivial search and replace
            By the way some C++ compilers are case insensitive on the word class
            that's not standard c++ then

Comment

there are many usermode hardware drivers, so i don't buy it
              The specifications that have class, namespace and other things in them are normally drivers that only can be implemented in kernel space.

fixed with trivial search and replace
              No trivial as you will have to argue with the Hurd of cats todo it because just like you not all the developers will have the same idea on what it should be renamed to. Named as specification sheet kills naming arguements.

that's not standard c++ then
              Not current day C++ standard. The current day C++ standard is not written that class only has to process as lower case. So a compiler processing class case insensitive can be a full to current C++ standard compiler with a undefined behaviour.

C++ ABI is not defined by the standard. The C++ standard also failed to include that particular things should only be processed if they are lower case.

The C++ standard is unfortunately swiss cheese caused by its incompleteness. Lot of things are depending that compiler makers do stuff the same way with C++ not do what the standard lets them do.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
                Somebody recently recommended I try .Net Core and I have to say, I’m pleasantly surprised. I’ve always had a bad impression but it’s actually really good.

that being said, the Linux development environment for it is nowhere near Windows, what with Visual Studio. That makes me sad
                rly? what about rider ? and please do not argue that is not free

Comment

Working...
                X