No announcement yet.

Microsoft Outs .NET Core 3.0 With Continued Linux Support & Better Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Outs .NET Core 3.0 With Continued Linux Support & Better Performance

Phoronix: Microsoft Outs .NET Core 3.0 With Continued Linux Support & Better Performance

After last week making waves by open-sourcing their C++ standard library and opening up their new console/IDE font, this week was kicked off by releasing .NET Core 3.0...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I can't wait to see all of the comments complaining about how they'll never use this as it's from Microsoft.

This is a pretty exciting release for .net core, which is fast becoming a swiss army knife solution to a lot of different problems.

Comment

One thing for sure, it has made enterprise architecture meetings pretty lively.

Comment

Somebody recently recommended I try .Net Core and I have to say, I’m pleasantly surprised. I’ve always had a bad impression but it’s actually really good.

that being said, the Linux development environment for it is nowhere near Windows, what with Visual Studio. That makes me sad

Comment

I've heard good things about how core has been developing, along with Blazor, might be worth giving a look at again. Awesome that upon release it has such wide support including Alpine

Comment

Originally posted by Kushan View Post
            This is a pretty exciting release for .net core, which is fast becoming a swiss army knife solution to a lot of different problems.
            The new Java!

*runs* :P

Comment

My current experience with C# is being engaged daily with WPF and making it run quickly on an Intel Atom CPU with touch screen. The language is fine except for UI development, I really wish the initial developer choose QT and C++. It would of allowed for near agnostic platform development along with speed. WPF is so slow and a bad performing framework, no wonder Microsoft ditched it, along with Silverlight.

Comment

Microsoft Outs .NET Core 3.0
                So many questions.

The software is gay? How does that work?
                Why is microsoft outing them? Did they do it on purpose, or by accident? Did they have some kind of beef going on?
                How did MS even know?
                Is this something phoronix should really be covering?

Or did Michael just forget a word in the article title?
                Last edited by smitty3268; 23 September 2019, 11:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

Is this something phoronix should really be covering?

Or did Michael just forget a word in the article title?
                  My 2 cents
                  Phoronix is my source of everything related to Linux and open source plateform, so yes it should be covered here. Also if any popular proprietary application/tools is made available on Linux++, it is good news, because it will only improve general adoption.

Comment

C# is probably the best "traditional" language out there right now. It was the first language I had learned back in the day but rapidly stopped using it as I moved toward linux and discovered other languages like Python.

Python is still my favorite for getting things done quickly and prototyping but I think I'm going to use C# again with all of the new linux support. They finally moved toward a sane deployment model too that doesn't require some stupid bullshit IIS web deployment which is especially nice.

Also... with so many people moving to do "static" typing in python with mypy etc... maybe use a statically typed language?

Comment

Working...
                    X