Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lennart Talks Up systemd's SD-Boot + Boot Loader Specification

Phoronix: Lennart Talks Up systemd's SD-Boot + Boot Loader Specification

In addition to announcing systemd-homed for better user home directories, Lennart Poettering also used this year's All Systems Go conference to drum up support for systemd's boot efforts around SD-Boot and the Boot Loader Specification...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

let the haters start their parade

Comment

Summary: Let's unify on the Boot Loader Spec
      Support the Boot Loader Interface
      Support Automatic Boot Assessment
      Use sd-boot
      Well, you see, I would but:

sd-boot Not actually a boot loader,
      more a boot menu
      EFI only
      My system is MBR only

Unify that and get back to me

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Well, you see, I would but:

My system is MBR only

Unify that and get back to me
        GRUB already supports BLS, and Fedora uses it.

Comment

Yeah, but GRUB doesn't support /boot on an encrypted ZFS volume whereas sd-boot does. While there are encrypted /boot with ZFS on root methods, they just add extra layers of bullcrap and system maintenance. I'm also kind of worried that Stratis might end up in a similar situation as ZFS and will require a separate /boot if Grub doesn't jump on board with it and support all of its features.

It's also about unifying the commands on our distribution of choice for any system used regardless of how old or new it is. Having to maintain two separate boot loader methods has to be a pain in the ass for the distributions out there; sd-boot implementing a method to emulate a UEFI so all systems can use it would ease that burden.

Comment

having just played with converting from mbr to efi - I wish I had known about sd-boot before wrangling grub to do it

Comment

Why doesn’t Lennart contribute improvements to Grub? It is already so much more featureful and has been tested in the field with actual hardware for 24+ years? Making yet another boot loader is going to increase the maintenance burden and splits/dilutes the developer effort and bug tracking capacity of users in the future, similar to when Lilo was actively maintained.

Comment

Why doesn’t Lennart contribute improvements to Grub? [..]
                But Grub is not a RedHat project.

Comment

Originally posted by stan View Post
                  Why doesn’t Lennart contribute improvements to Grub? It is already so much more featureful and has been tested in the field with actual hardware for 24+ years? Making yet another boot loader is going to increase the maintenance burden and splits/dilutes the developer effort and bug tracking capacity of users in the future, similar to when Lilo was actively maintained.
                  Why doesn't syslinux devs contribute to GRUB?

Comment

They all should contribute to Lilo

Comment

Working...
                    X