Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Microsoft's Latest Open-Source Contribution: A New Font For Terminals & Code Editors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FeRD_NYC View Post
    ZOMG NO. Or, answer this question: Why did you name your theme "Solarf1are"?: #ConsolasAllOverAgain
    Haha! You almost had me there for a second.

IBM Plex Mono slander will not be tolerated on my watch!

Comment

lg2m but it's more appropriate for code than console since it doesn't have certain char you'd want in midnight commander and such.

Comment

Originally posted by reavertm View Post
        I used to use Liberation Sans Mono, for its crispness and clear distinction between lowercase L and uppercase I and O and 0.
        I have Liberation installed (Debian) but there's no Liberation Sans Mono.

Comment

What we really want:

Trebuchet + Core MS fonts licensed with a Free, GPL compatible license. For compatibility reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
            No fonts can beat Dejavu Sans Mono for me. After trying different ones, I always go back to the Dejavu.
            After many years I finally moved to Hack, which is very similar (and I don't always like differences), but actually modern and still developed.

Comment

My terminals are all SGI Screen (bitmap fonts just make me irrationally happy), but I'm less picky about IDE/editor fonts, for some reason. I think Kate is set up with DejaVu Mono right now, but I'll happily test this.

For reference: SGI Screen - the default IRIX terminal font:
              Last edited by dnebdal; 19 September 2019, 07:50 PM.

Comment

PT Mono

Comment

I used Fira Code, Hack, Source Code pro, Inconsolata... Until I found Iosevka.
                  Hard to beat it now...
                  Versatile typeface for code, from code. Contribute to be5invis/Iosevka development by creating an account on GitHub.

Comment

I'm not crazy enough to rely on MS when it comes to code, but their font is surprisingly sane. Seems someone at MS finally managed to launch console and even boot Linux to get idea console not necessarily suxx and could be quite a powerful tool, if you do it right. Well, for my taste this font is a bit too artistic though (e.g. "C" letter looks a bit crazy, etc) - however it passes all my mandatory sanity checks for console/coding fonts. Like distinct shapes of O and 0, 1, l, I and so on. Oh, and more or less established fonts license. I guess I'd stay with DejaVu Sans Mono. But nice try, MS. Finally they released something that doesn't sucks a lot.

If ms so serious about changing, maybe they would also learn to stop putting backdoors, DRM and other nasty surprises/sabotage like activation into their systems? And granted exFAT support, I wonder when they finall switch OS kernel...
                    Last edited by SystemCrasher; 19 September 2019, 09:36 PM.

Comment

xos4 Terminus
                      Terminus TTF
                      Terminus TTF is a TrueType version of Terminus Font, a fixed-width bitmap font optimized for long work with computers.

Comment

Working...
                      X