Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Microsoft's Latest Open-Source Contribution: A New Font For Terminals & Code Editors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To date I have not found any font that looks good on any terminal except for the stock Windows Raster Fonts.

Comment

I use Firacode myself.

This one looks nice, but I'm kinda into Firacode's (optional) coding ligatures.

Comment

Now, this is a bold move...

Comment

Since it's a thread of preferred fonts: among ones I used for coding, I like "Ubuntu Mono" the most

It has kinda "squared" style, I like it.

Comment

Looks nice enough but I do not like the "programmer ligatures and glyph combining". ->, != get changed to weird characters. This will make selecting them or changing them awkward (have to delete the whole thing to change one character).
            I'm sure it is another one of those things that is great for amateurs but when used in anger under deadlines it just slows you down.

As for fonts; the default OpenBSD terminal one (Spleen) is really nice. Looks extremely modern.

Comment

The Hack font is better: https://sourcefoundry.org/hack/

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
                Looks nice enough but I do not like the "programmer ligatures and glyph combining". ->, != get changed to weird characters. This will make selecting them or changing them awkward (have to delete the whole thing to change one character).
                FWIW, Emacs has pretty-symbols-mode which works similar, but doesn't have the problem you describe: e.g. if you have != represented by ≠, and then you delete one character from that ≠, you'd get a ! or = (depending on which side you deleted a character at).

ATM It breaks indentation though, so I enabled just a few characters: ≤, ≥ and ≠ these in my experience had never appeared in text in such way to have influence on indentation.
                Last edited by Hi-Angel; 19 September 2019, 07:29 AM. Reason: join and boldify the mode name

Comment

Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post

FWIW, Emacs has pretty-symbols-mode which works similar, but doesn't have the problem you describe: e.g. if you have != represented by ≠, and then you delete one character from that ≠, you'd get a ! or = (depending on which side you deleted a character at).
                  How are you able to select one of the characters with the mouse or visual select ('v' in Vim, not sure about Emacs)?

Comment

And here I am using Droid Serif for random stuff and Source Code Pro as the monospace font.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

How are you able to select one of the characters with the mouse or visual select ('v' in Vim, not sure about Emacs)?
                      Oh, sorry, I missed the part about visual selection. I can't imagine though why would you need to select a part of a != or >= or <=. That would be one character, it's faster to just type it.

Comment

Working...
                      X