Debian May Need To Re-Evaluate Its Interest In "Init System Diversity"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debian May Need To Re-Evaluate Its Interest In "Init System Diversity"

Phoronix: Debian May Need To Re-Evaluate Its Interest In "Init System Diversity"

Debian Project Leader Sam Hartman has shared his August 2019 notes where he outlines the frustrations and issues that have come up as a result of init system diversity with some developers still aiming to viably support systemd alternatives within Debian...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Good riddance. There are alot of init.d files but I would be surprised if 10% of those have been tested the last 4 years.

I use sysvinit (busybox rather) in a couple systems built with buildroot, but there are quite rarely the files that are coming from upstream or regular distros. Kick out init.d from desktop distros and - if there is a need - maintain init.d files at the places where they are still used.
    shell scripts are fragile, and few of them are tested with multiple shells and non-standard tools (busybox userspace, hush/ash shell).

Comment

The title was clearly designed to clickbait, right?

OK, well, I'm getting the popcorn ready...

Comment

Wait what? A single init system reduces maintenance burden? And multiple init systems actually increase it? Developer time is not infinite and free? Really?

Shock horror. We've been only saying this for like 5 years. The delusional guys at Devuan et al feel free to toy around for a few years more. Delaying the inevitable sure is a fruitful effort, time well spent. Let the duplication of efforts continue!

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
          . Delaying the inevitable
          I will use BSD before I use systemd

Comment

Originally posted by Templar82 View Post

I will use BSD before I use systemd
            Okay, but just understand: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_AIw9bGogo

Comment

this Thread should be closed,

Comment

The answer to all this Debian init system conflict has been in plain sight for quite awhile: Devuan! https://devuan.org
                If Debian without systemd is desired, use the equivalent Devuan version and be glad you did. Simple.

Comment

Is the author of systemd any better than rms? Probably not, and neither is his view of "Linux or nothing". Systemd is completely the wrong way to go about compatibility, but what is required for the lackeys to realize that?

Comment

To me it is always about choice. If systemd is desired, use it. If not, don't. Nothing political or emotional about it. The freedom to choose is what matters.

Comment

Working...
                    X