X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• andyprough
    replied
    Originally posted by bison View Post

MX is nice, but I actually prefer antiX with Xfce installed from the repository.
    Yeah, antiX is quite likely the best performing, easiest to use distro I've ever tried. I'm just sorry that it took me so many years to find it. If it is maintained and updated in its current form, which there's no reason to believe it won't be, I think I've found a distro home for years to come.

Leave a comment:

• cl333r
    replied
    Idiots at work: read the word "diversity" and start supporting the idea because "diversity" means something good.

Leave a comment:

• pmorph
    replied
    So, replacing init was tough and complicated.
    I wonder, how tough and complicated it will be, when systemd eventually needs to be replaced?
    I hope not i-m-p-o-s-s-i-b-l-e, because that's an alternate spelling for r-o-a-d-b-l-o-c-k.

Leave a comment:

• bison
    replied
    Originally posted by cb88 View Post

I do this on Gentoo... but yeah, I may give MX Linux a try... I have downloaded antiX in the past... many moons ago.
    MX is nice, but I actually prefer antiX with Xfce installed from the repository.

Leave a comment:

• bison
    replied
    Originally posted by cf100clunk View Post
    The answer to all this Debian init system conflict has been in plain sight for quite awhile: Devuan! https://devuan.org
    If Debian without systemd is desired, use the equivalent Devuan version and be glad you did. Simple.
    I used Devuan for my last LFS build and it worked really well. I could be happy using it as my main system if it came down to it.

Leave a comment:

• ermo
    replied
    Given that the major distributions are coalescing around systemd, it'll be interesting to see how they do going forward. My take is that a distribution is a system comprised of many parts, arguably the most important of which is the set of maintainers (paid or otherwise) who -- for the most part -- are basically people who agree with the distribution's goals to the point where they are willing to spend their time scratching their own (and sometimes other people's) itch to the benefit of everyone.

Economic motives aside, as long as a distribution makes its maintainers happy, it'll survive -- the users who don't actively contribute are essentially nice-to-haves in that frame of observation.

But once upstreams start assuming that their products targeted at Linux (be they services, applications or even desktop environments) have systemd functionality, the cat's arguably out of the bag. Why should maintainers (upstream or from systemd distributions) care about non-systemd use-cases if the majority of major distributions (and thus users) won't ever actually *use* the product on a non-systemd system?

There's a network effect at play here and the people who insist on having a non-systemd alternative (for whatever reason) are going to be left holding the short end of the stick for reasons of practicality and economics. And the rest of us get to listen to them complain loudly and persistently about a change they didn't initiate.

If UNIX has now become GNU/Linux plus some rounding errors, I think it's fair to say that Linux is showing signs of becoming GNU/Linux/systemd plus some rounding errors.

If a certain subset of people don't like that, they are free to attempt to build a better implementation of systemd and its API, aren't they? Isn't that what happened with e.g. elogind? At this point, it seems that the only compelling alternative to systemd is a product that not only re-implements systemd's functionality and API, but does it *better* ?
    Last edited by ermo; 19 September 2019, 01:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

• L_A_G
    replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    I'm not countering arguments. I'm politely reminding that none cares outside of some vocal minority, for better or worse.
    If you and others don't care, then why do you even respond? You think you're going to convince anyone with this? Because even taking everything you're saying at face value you're only wasting your own time.

Not seeing this documentation posted here.
    So now we're pulling the appeal to ignorance card? Then again this kind "If it's not clearly visible to me, then it's not a problem" attitude it probably to be expected from someone who openly admits they don't care if they eat food with rat droppings in it if they don't get food poisoning from it.

I don't give a shit about your own beliefs. My direct experience counters them on almost every point.
    As I said, anecdotal evidence is still anecdotal evidence. The fact that you keep insisting that you don't care what anyone with concerns about the way the SystemD project is run and how it's been implemented is also kind hilarious when you keep raving and ranting at everyone who dares raise any concerns or say they're concerned.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    aaand blocked post for danmcgrew above

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by danmcgrew
    Still a room-temperature-IQ, mouth-breathing shithead, I see, who can not contribute anything meaningful to a conversation.
    Says the guy whose only contribution is Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V. Yes I remember you quote-lover from Raspberry threads. You haven't changed.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
    You do realize that rather than countering arguments you're just deflecting them?
    I'm not countering arguments. I'm politely reminding that none cares outside of some vocal minority, for better or worse.

It's a bit like claiming that you don't care if there's a rat infestation in the kitchen because you haven't gotten food poisoning yet or that you don't care if the staff is crazy because you haven't been stabbed yet.
    That's what people do. FYI: are you aware that A LOT of places working with food (especially in industrial environments) have debatable hygiene and would close instantly if someone just so happened to send an inspection their way? Because it do.

Seriously thou, the shambolic nature of development and the communication issues are so well documented
    Not seeing this documentation posted here.

All times I've seen "proof" of bad communication I usually agreed with systemd devs, even when they did the unthinkable, and blamed the downstream applications or distro for doing wrong things they shouldn't do.

I'm not going to stop you from eating at a particular restaurant, but if I know there's a rat infestation in the kitchen and the staff is rude I will point this out and you claiming that you haven't gotten food poisoning or been stabbed, at least yet, isn't going to convince me the rat infestation and stab-happy staff isn't something to be concerned over.
    I don't give a shit about your own beliefs. My direct experience counters them on almost every point.
    Last edited by starshipeleven; 19 September 2019, 12:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X