X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• andyprough
    replied
    Originally posted by wizard69 View Post

Open source licenses do not close anything down. I’m not sure how this ignorance ever developed. GPL has actually been pretty horrible for open source.
    Good. Never use any GPL'd software again then. Let us know how it works out for you.

Leave a comment:

• wizard69
    replied
    Originally posted by sarmad View Post
    This is very confusing, at least for someone like me who wasn't raised in North America. According to the news the lady was 17, so why are people calling her a child?
    She isn't a child according to this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ages_o..._North_America
    Or is this article wrong?
    The article in the main is right, however the laws can be very complex or down right strange in some states. At one time anyways there where states where the age of consent varied based upon the virginity of the female. This is why the whole sub thread about a 17 year old giving consent is so bogus, it can be perfectly legal in the right place.

Leave a comment:

• wizard69
    replied
    Originally posted by hotaru View Post

it's horrifying that so many people think "innocent until proven guilty" should apply to rapists, but not to their victims.
    After living for almost 69 years I would never assume a woman is being honest about anything. This especially in the case of rape, when so many allegations are proven false again and again. It is really sad that so many people are so gullible when it comes to this stuff.

Leave a comment:

• wizard69
    replied
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

I mean, I fear the GPL may go down, the MIT/Apache/permissive licenses may stand up and at some point since these licenses are too permissive, they'll close everything down, effectively turning the open-source community into a closed-source one...
    Open source licenses do not close anything down. I’m not sure how this ignorance ever developed. GPL has actually been pretty horrible for open source.

Leave a comment:

• wizard69
    replied
    Originally posted by AndyChow View Post
    In South Korea the age of consent is 20. So if you sleep with a 19 year old person in the US, how can that be acceptable?

I don't have an answer to that, but I know people shouldn't lose their jobs just for asking the damn question. When I was in high school, I emailed Marvin Minsky for advice about AI, twice. And both times he responded to me the same day with helpful advice. I don't like this demonization of people without the facts.
    This is part of the problem people seem to think that the concept of statutory rape is uniform world wide. It isn’t at all, even state laws vary here. So you have this sub discussion going with people trying to apply US laws around the world. As one might imagine that could get Americans in trouble in Korea.

In any event what bothers me here is that somebody is loosing his job over what should be free speech. Even more disgusting is the twisting of facts to inflame the uninformed.

Leave a comment:

• wizard69
    replied

even if he didn't say that the victims were willing, his belief that it's possible for a child to consent to being raped by a grown man is more than bad enough.
    If someone consents it isn’t rape. Statutory rape varies widely by country, some places it might be 16 or the concept might not even exist. The flip side exist where things legal in the USA can land you in jail in other countries.

Leave a comment:

• xorbe
    replied
    This is why opinions online should only be discussed anonymously. (Here's your more than 100 post!)

Leave a comment:

• AndyChow
    replied

it's horrifying that so many people think "innocent until proven guilty" should apply to rapists, but not to their victims.
    You're right, it is horrifying. Most people don't know the facts, the details. If there are accusations, we delegate a special team to try to figure out the truth of it all. And hopefully they figure out the truth of it all.

It's horrifying that people left and right try to, with very limited knowledge, draw conclusions made on what rumor and limited information they have.

Take a couple divorcing. Rumors abound. Did she cheat on him? Did he beat her? No one knows anything. But then someone like RMS asks a question about the details of a theoretical situation. And the mob is so outraged that a question is asked, that he must resign from his life's work.

I'll be honest. I'm biased. I personally interacted with Marvin Minsky. He helped me out when I was young and foolish. I thought greatly of him. Whether it turns out he was a good man or a bad man will be left to the facts. If he turns out to be evil incarnate, I will accept that. But I will not accept that RMS, another man that is biased and was helped by MM, that his career and life's work is destroyed simply because he dared to ask clarification on the facts. That is insane. RMS asked questions, he did not proclaim authority nor judgement. And now he must be destroyed?

I do not agree. I think we can ask as many questions as we want. At least to ourselves and to others online.

Leave a comment:

• wizard69
    replied
    I actually think this will be great for the FSF as I never like this guy and the way he drove the FSF and GPL.

However it is pretty disgusting that somebody would loose their job over what is in part a statement of opinion and also fact. The fact is the age of consent varies widely even in the USA. As to the possibility of a forced encounter it is possible but the reality is woman lie about rape and do so often. In fact it has gotten so out of hand that we really need to start prosecuting woman that have done so.

The question here is how do how do you determine whom is telling the truth? I’d have to say there is a lot of embellishment going on here.

In the end I never thought much of Stallman and the way he handled the FSF. However the way his freedom of speech is being trampled is extremely disturbing. I really don’t like the direction society is moving, it is the domain of a police state where thoughts are deemed objectionable.

Leave a comment:

• Teggs
    replied
    So Richard Stallman is gone from his positions after these many years... because he defended the honour of a dead colleague?

And we are supposed to celebrate the power of libel to destroy careers? That power can be used by anyone, against anyone, at any time. Thinking 'I hate this person so badly that the injustice is worth it' is the reasoning of a fool. This actually fulfills the requirements of the overused phrase 'damaging to society'.

This article does detail the commission of a crime. Or two, if you include Epstein. But the other isn't Stallman, it's Vice. And those celebrating should remember that the monster can come also for them.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X