X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• birdie
    replied
    Originally posted by doragasu View Post
    I thought the userspace API was stable, and that only the internal ABI was not.
    Well, other popular kernels offer stable internal APIs/ABIs, e.g. ntoskrnl.exe, XNU, qnx, etc. Not indefinitely of course.

Leave a comment:

• doragasu
    replied
    I thought the userspace API was stable, and that only the internal ABI was not.

Leave a comment:

• birdie
    replied
    Which kinda invalidates the claim that Linux is the most popular kernel in the world 'cause Google doesn't use the mainline kernel. They have a very special fork with tons of patches which they maintain on their own. That also explains why they're busy developing Zircon - they want their own fast and efficient kernel which features stable ABIs/APIs out of the box, unlike the Linux kernel where stable APIs are nonsense.

I'd venture to say that kernel developers' position in this regard is nonsense but ardent open source fanboys will find the most bizarre arguments to defend this point of view even though many are using ZFS and other out-of-kernel modules whose developers consonantly struggle to maintain compatibility.
    Last edited by birdie; 15 September 2019, 08:59 AM.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Huh. Well I'll be damned. Here I was thinking their method was to stick with old kernels.

I don't think I have a single Android device that runs newer than 4.0.X and my current tablet and phone both run 3.1X (3.10 and 3.17).

Leave a comment:

• phoronix
    started a topic How Google's Android Maintains A Stable Linux Kernel ABI

How Google's Android Maintains A Stable Linux Kernel ABI

Phoronix: How Google's Android Maintains A Stable Linux Kernel ABI

While the Linux kernel is well known for not offering a stable API/ABI, Google and other enterprise Linux distribution vendors tend to aim at providing their own stable ABI for the lifespan of their products. Google engineers talked in Portugal this week at Linux Plumbers Conference 2019 about some of their means to maintaining a stable API/ABI for Android's Linux kernel...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ble-Kernel-ABI
Working...
X