Microsoft Teams Is Coming To Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bsdisbetter View Post

Which 'bsd' are you referring to? You show your total ignorance (which makes you a great fit here) by referring to any *bsd as a 'distro'.
    I am showing ignorance? You Bozo need to compile program from a source code to match number of applications which are available for Linux, tell me again how big is your app repository and your community in comparison to let's say Debian? Second of all, name me one distro which has support for touch screen or fingerprint reader or similar on your BSD, except Apple crap ware? I wonder why I waste time on idiots...

Comment

Originally posted by dovla091 View Post

I am showing ignorance? You Bozo need to compile program from a source code to match number of applications which are available for Linux, tell me again how big is your app repository and your community in comparison to let's say Debian? Second of all, name me one distro which has support for touch screen or fingerprint reader or similar on your BSD, except Apple crap ware? I wonder why I waste time on idiots...
      And how big is your Loonix community compared to Windoze? What stupid comparisons.
      Stop typing, you make an idiot look like a genius.

Comment

What a lot of noise to say "Aircraft use Ubuntu so let's ensure we re-run failed startup scripts".
        Seriously?
        Idiot.
        Kontron’s “ACE Flight 1600 Gateway Router” avionics computer runs Linux on a Bay Trail Atom, and provides a 5-port, L2-managed GbE switch, 4G LTE Advanced-Pro, 802.11ac, and DO-160G compliance. Kontron's has added to its ACE Flight product line with a compact low-end router computer designed for small commercial jets and business jets. The fanless ACE Flight 1600 Gateway Router is a

Ubuntu is serous-ally avionics OS that could be running the glass system that person flying the aircraft is depend on for information.

This is not the only life or death example I could bring up that desktop Linux distributions get used with where a service not restarting even if will fail again will increase risk of fatality. I have seen it with linuxcnc where you need the service to restart know it crashed and stop the cnc machine from doing highly dangerous things. sysvinit failure to be able restart stuff with linuxcnc effectively resulted in taking out a key building support in one example I have seen. When you have Linux desktop distribution controlling a CNC with a 1.5 ton bit of metal on it adds a new side to dangerous. Again this is talking about using your normal off the shelf Ubuntu and Debian.

There are times you need service management to work. Imperfect is better to not at all in a lot of cases. That linuxcnc is not perfect because they service will crash again due to ram fault or other issue the fact the service detect it had been incorrectly shutdown and restarted proceeds to put the system into safe stopped state.

As I said you are narrow minded Bsdisbetter. So its kind of important that rerun failed functionality in fact works in something like Ubuntu. Also it would be good to have a nice way to disable rerun failed when it makes no sense.

Desktop distributions are not just used for normal desktop workloads so what you require in service management needs to be quality or someone may die because service management is not quality.

Comment

Given it has been over 2 years since Microsoft first claimed to be "working on it" and has really nothing to show in terms of results, has anyone looked at either of the following?

* Rocket Chat at https://rocket.chat/

- or -

* Mattermost at https://mattermost.com/

Both seem to have made it way past the "Working on it" phase into the actually shipping phase.

Also, isn't the lack of progress in porting Microsoft Teams a damning statement about the .NET Framework adoption even inside Microsoft itself?

In March of 2016 it was reported that Microsoft was considering buying Slack for $8 billion but instead went with developing something themselves. Based on that, at the time development began the .NET Framework 4.6.1 should have already been out providing the full .NET Standard 2.0 API. In 2016 Microsoft was heavily promoting .NET as the best way to target Windows AppStore/UWP, Mac OS X, iOS (via Xamarin) and Android (also via Xamarin).

So, they started a new project that was to be multi-platform but their own claims of .NET Standard 2.0 being the best tool for this job was not good enough themselves? Microsoft did not buy into their own .NET hype for Teams?? Because if they did follow their own hype, getting Teams working on Linux via mono should not be taking this long.

So what made the Microsoft Teams decide to go anti-Microsoft .NET? Why should we ever accept Microsoft hype when they themselves do not accept it?
          Last edited by chilinux; 12 September 2019, 12:25 AM.

Comment

What a lot of noise to say "Aircraft use Ubuntu so let's ensure we re-run failed startup scripts".
            Seriously?
            Idiot.
            That was just an edge-case example. He never said airplanes use Ubuntu.

Comment

Then why do you care so much? All this hate for anti-systemd is just as STUPID as the hate for systemd. Use what suits you and STFU about the rest. Choice is not something only you have.
              The scale of idiocy on here knows no bounds, it seems.
              You think it's stupid to use systemd?! What sort of person are you!

Comment

Originally posted by dovla091 View Post

Don't worry, this guy is butt-hurt because we're proving sysvinit has flaws.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
                  Kontron’s “ACE Flight 1600 Gateway Router” avionics computer runs Linux on a Bay Trail Atom, and provides a 5-port, L2-managed GbE switch, 4G LTE Advanced-Pro, 802.11ac, and DO-160G compliance. Kontron's has added to its ACE Flight product line with a compact low-end router computer designed for small commercial jets and business jets. The fanless ACE Flight 1600 Gateway Router is a

Ubuntu is serous-ally avionics OS that could be running the glass system that person flying the aircraft is depend on for information.
                  It can be, but there is one big problem that has no fix:

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", ***WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND***, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.
                  (I'm not sure whether this means the provider may charge for a warranty though)

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

This is not the only life or death example I could bring up that desktop Linux distributions get used with where a service not restarting even if will fail again will increase risk of fatality. I have seen it with linuxcnc where you need the service to restart know it crashed and stop the cnc machine from doing highly dangerous things. sysvinit failure to be able restart stuff with linuxcnc effectively resulted in taking out a key building support in one example I have seen. When you have Linux desktop distribution controlling a CNC with a 1.5 ton bit of metal on it adds a new side to dangerous. Again this is talking about using your normal off the shelf Ubuntu and Debian.

There are times you need service management to work. Imperfect is better to not at all in a lot of cases. That linuxcnc is not perfect because they service will crash again due to ram fault or other issue the fact the service detect it had been incorrectly shutdown and restarted proceeds to put the system into safe stopped state.

As I said you are narrow minded Bsdisbetter. So its kind of important that rerun failed functionality in fact works in something like Ubuntu. Also it would be good to have a nice way to disable rerun failed when it makes no sense.

Desktop distributions are not just used for normal desktop workloads so what you require in service management needs to be quality or someone may die because service management is not quality.
                    LOL comms solution = aircraft control. It's gold, it's truly gold.

Comment

LOL comms solution = aircraft control. It's gold, it's truly gold.
                      That was one of many parts that are Ubuntu. That comms solution can be linked to the glass system and can be required to be up so the glass system behaves itself. Yes there are many glass systems that need to send there logs back to base. So com solution being down can be fatal.

This is not pure gold this is how stupid the things are with how complex we make control systems in aircraft these days. So the ubuntu system on coms restarting self and running long enough to receive and transmit off logs keeps systems on aircraft happy.

There are many locations where systems must restart and attempt to run even if they are broken because by running while broken they prevent other things from miss behaving. On a gerneral desktop not so much. In aircraft coms or aircraft control or cnc control kind of critical that restart stuff works.

Comment

Working...
                      X