No announcement yet.

Microsoft Teams Is Coming To Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So they're just ticking the Linux option on Electron?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      Eventually, I'm sure there will be one day where Phoronix will post an article about "Microsoft Windows is coming to Linux".
      I really have this feeling that they'll replace the Windows kernel at some point and adopt Linux.
      Well, I believe the first step would be they buying CodeWeavers, and start to improve Wine, so they can transition to Linux smoothly

Comment

Microsoft have zero reason to transfer Windows to the Linux kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post

Well, I believe the first step would be they buying CodeWeavers, and start to improve Wine, so they can transition to Linux smoothly
          No, they'd engineer their own Wine-like thing because they have access to their own Windows code and don't need to reverse-engineer.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
            Microsoft have zero reason to transfer Windows to the Linux kernel.
            ...other than EEE.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
              So they're just ticking the Linux option on Electron?
              It's pretty much what they did with Skype, I wasn't expecting anything else.

To this day, I still can't fathom why I'd install the app when the web UI does the same things.

Comment

If it isn't free (as in freedom), it doesn't worthy

Comment

Originally posted by lectrode View Post
                  IT generally prefers Slack, while the Business side prefers Teams
                  And I bet if you ask the business side why they prefer Teams over Slack, they will answer with "It's from Microsoft, so it's clearly the better product. What do you mean with the question if we ever tried Slack and made an objective comparison? It's not from Microsoft, so it's clearly the inferior product."

Comment

...other than EEE.
                    Exactly. Would be very easy; embrace Linux, get in cahoots with hardware manufacturers to provide additional drivers licensed only for Microsoft's distro; (this will attract 90% of casual Linux desktop users IMO). Include a bunch of extra functionality aside from the drivers; such as integration with xbox, exchange servers, provide a version of MS Office with it; chuck in a few additional syscalls. Done.

All that is left then is to ridicule users rejecting it (such as IBM/RedHat is doing with the Devuan community) and then Microsoft is almost completely in control of consumer Linux.

Comment

But then what about other distros?
                      Then that would make Windows just another paid distro.

Comment

Working...
                      X