X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• k1e0x
    replied
    Originally posted by holunder View Post
    Lol, guys. Microsoft is in dire need of a kernel overhaul. Google is developing the modern Fuchsia micro-kernel OS architecture, the NT kernel won’t scale for another decade. And another thing what MS needs to do is to cut off legacy stuff. They tried this with Windows 8’s 'Metro UI' which led to Metro-only Windows tablets. This approach failed. But they are working on a new more modern Windows architecture. Basically a Windows like ChromeOS. This might succeed in a couple years, at least in some segments. This might be the way MS is moving its userbase away from the classical Win32 ecosystem to something different. And on this new platform, they can throw in a new kernel much easier. That’s the way Fuchsia is going to replace Linux beneath Android in time. And Linux, Linux isn’t there yet. Google has some good arguments for developing a new OS design. Linux can adopt some of its new architecture and possibly will, but there will be much legacy stuff they won’t be able to dismiss.
    Why? FreeBSD's kernel is 40 years old and it still out preforms most OS's.

Leave a comment:

• holunder
    replied
    Lol, guys. Microsoft is in dire need of a kernel overhaul. Google is developing the modern Fuchsia micro-kernel OS architecture, the NT kernel won’t scale for another decade. And another thing what MS needs to do is to cut off legacy stuff. They tried this with Windows 8’s 'Metro UI' which led to Metro-only Windows tablets. This approach failed. But they are working on a new more modern Windows architecture. Basically a Windows like ChromeOS. This might succeed in a couple years, at least in some segments. This might be the way MS is moving its userbase away from the classical Win32 ecosystem to something different. And on this new platform, they can throw in a new kernel much easier. That’s the way Fuchsia is going to replace Linux beneath Android in time. And Linux, Linux isn’t there yet. Google has some good arguments for developing a new OS design. Linux can adopt some of its new architecture and possibly will, but there will be much legacy stuff they won’t be able to dismiss.
    Last edited by holunder; 09-09-2019, 05:50 PM.

Leave a comment:

• k1e0x
    replied
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    Eventually, I'm sure there will be one day where Phoronix will post an article about "Microsoft Windows is coming to Linux".
    I really have this feeling that they'll replace the Windows kernel at some point and adopt Linux.
    Pretty much the most naive thing I've read today. Microsoft isn't open source friendly. They are turning Linux into a run time layer with WSL so you can run your Linux software on your (legaly licenced) windows kernel where it will transmit all your user data to them to profile.

Leave a comment:

• edwaleni
    replied

But then what about other distros?
    Then that would make Windows just another paid distro.

Leave a comment:

• kpedersen
    replied

...other than EEE.
    Exactly. Would be very easy; embrace Linux, get in cahoots with hardware manufacturers to provide additional drivers licensed only for Microsoft's distro; (this will attract 90% of casual Linux desktop users IMO). Include a bunch of extra functionality aside from the drivers; such as integration with xbox, exchange servers, provide a version of MS Office with it; chuck in a few additional syscalls. Done.

All that is left then is to ridicule users rejecting it (such as IBM/RedHat is doing with the Devuan community) and then Microsoft is almost completely in control of consumer Linux.

Leave a comment:

• soulsource
    replied
    Originally posted by lectrode View Post
    IT generally prefers Slack, while the Business side prefers Teams
    And I bet if you ask the business side why they prefer Teams over Slack, they will answer with "It's from Microsoft, so it's clearly the better product. What do you mean with the question if we ever tried Slack and made an objective comparison? It's not from Microsoft, so it's clearly the inferior product."

Leave a comment:

• q2dg
    replied
    If it isn't free (as in freedom), it doesn't worthy

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    Originally posted by Britoid View Post
    So they're just ticking the Linux option on Electron?
    It's pretty much what they did with Skype, I wasn't expecting anything else.

To this day, I still can't fathom why I'd install the app when the web UI does the same things.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by Britoid View Post
    Microsoft have zero reason to transfer Windows to the Linux kernel.
    ...other than EEE.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by andrei_me View Post

Well, I believe the first step would be they buying CodeWeavers, and start to improve Wine, so they can transition to Linux smoothly
    No, they'd engineer their own Wine-like thing because they have access to their own Windows code and don't need to reverse-engineer.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X