Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Geopirate View Post
    What would they have to actually do?
    Stop vendor lock-in into OOXML. It's impossible to fix OOXML anyway, and there is no need for next "fixed and polished" version of OOXML, so only possible outcome (that can be identified as free software friendly) is drop OOXML as legacy format and switch to strict ODF implementation, preferably taken from LibreOffice.

They make money on Office365 subscriptions anyway, so this move doesn't even create financial risk for them. Everybody who want to compete with their services already do that by supporting OOXML even better than Microsoft themselves ever did (like ONLYOFFICE do) so making ODF new MSO default will change nothing but will improve documents interoperability in the future tremendously.

Comment

Originally posted by Rccero View Post

That exists already... it is winevdm, a wine-like program for Win16 apps.
      16-bit Windows (Windows 1.x, 2.x, 3.0, 3.1, etc.) on 64-bit Windows - otya128/winevdm

It has to be run in a windows x64, though.
      Huh. Didn't know about that one.

That said, it's Wine-based. As a Linux user who just wants a Windows-capable solution because GOG.com won't license things that can't be sold to the Windows portion of their customer base, I can honestly say that I understand their decision to not step beyond the half dozen games they brough to Linux via Wine. (And that's not even counting that Wine's Win16 support is spotty. Last I checked, I still had to keep a copy of Wine 1.2 around to play Bricklayer without it crashing.)

DOSBox, on the other hand, they've gone on record saying that it and ScummVM give them the least technical support trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
        What about Pixar and the rest of big studios?
        The OS running on rendering nodes isn't interacting with SD cards?

Also what does Pixar do with SDcards to begin with? They use 3D models.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          The OS running on rendering nodes isn't interacting with SD cards?

Also what does Pixar do with SDcards to begin with? They use 3D models.
          Wait, I fixed my post. I forgot Pixar wasn't a filming studio but rather an animation one.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
            What about the big studios?
            What big studio is using Linux on their workstations when like 0 of the high end pro editing software does not run on Linux

Tuxera and friends sell to embedded OEMs that need to read flashdrives and HDDs from mostly-windows consumers in their embedded Linux firmware.

Comment

What big studio is using Linux on their workstations when like 0 of the high end pro editing software does not run on Linux
              ​​​​​​Nuke, Blackmagic Fusion and DaVinci Resolve run on Linux. The former is $10k+ software!

Maybe at least their render farms run on Linux...

Tuxera and friends sell to embedded OEMs that need to read flashdrives and HDDs from mostly-windows consumers in their embedded Linux firmware.
              Thanks for the info.

Comment

we will be making Microsoft’s technical specification for exFAT publicly available to facilitate development of conformant, interoperable implementations.
                -Microsoft ...
                🤨

What's that saying... "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me".

Comment

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post

-Microsoft ...
                  🤨

What's that saying... "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me".
                  It's "Fool me once, shame on you, fool me... you can't get fooled again'"

Now to be fair I think that over the last years Microsoft has proven that they've changed and that they can be trusted.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

It's "Fool me once, shame on you, fool me... you can't get fooled again'"
                    Ha ha. That president :P

Bush: the fool

Obama: the warmongering "nobel peace prize" winner

Trump: the joker

Strange world we live in.

Comment

Originally posted by waxhead View Post
                      Microsoft Windows is a sixty-four bit bugfix of a thirty-two bit extension and a graphical shell to a sixteen-bit patch to an eight-bit operating system originally coded for a four-bit microprocessor which was written by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.
                      As much as i love the open-source community, some of your memes need to be updated from 30+ years ago.
                      The last time this stuff was relevant was somewhere in the 1.0 era, when it was built a lot on top of MS-DOS.

Then some minor stuff happened in the meantime, like the NT series, or Project OneCore.

Comment

Working...
                      X