No announcement yet.

Microsoft Publishes exFAT Specification, Encourages Linux Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ExFAT has been out over 10 years and any patents will already be near expiry.

This is still a nice move though, as it ends uncertainty and increased interoperability.

Comment

Originally posted by bachchain View Post
      Now if only they could go the other way and add Windows support for ext and btrfs
      Yep, integration and interoperability goes both ways. Its all well and good their stuff working in Linux but it is still fiddly as hell to use a UNIX filesystem in Windows. I am sure this one-way compatibility will be used to convince businesses to splash out on yet more Windows licenses.

Also, they are releasing the specs but they will still retain the patent. That still makes me feel uneasy. In a couple of years once their goals shift once again, there is nothing really to stop them weaponizing this.

When it comes to computers, most companies are wankers. Microsoft is certainly a company.
      Last edited by kpedersen; 28 August 2019, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Now if only they could go the other way and add Windows support for ext and btrfs
        Even better yet, provide docker type images so we can use throwaway containers for building code using MSVC. I'm okay targeting windows for all those stubborn people who want to run windows but please don't force me to develop on windows (which is IMHO the whole point of MS's recent moves, try to get corporations to force all the devs onto windows).

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
          Also, they are releasing the specs but they will still retain the patent. That still makes me feel uneasy.
          The blog also states that they are looking to have the patents covered by the OIN (though not done so yet).

Comment

This.

Comment

I'd like an open source Windows for Workgroups 3.11.

Comment

I have a question, since I had read throughout the years that ExFAT is unreliable (also on Windows), how reliable is it when compared to FAT32?
                I.e., would I have to worry any more about the partition becoming unusable when on ExFAT vs. FAT32?

Comment

I'm not denying that this is a good thing for the linux kernel, I'm just saying that MS has an ulterior motive. I may not know what it is, but it's definitely EEE.

Comment

This, and especially ext4 (or even XFS as I work with it in my external hard drives). I would like to access my Linux partition from Windows because every time I try to access my Windows partition from Linux to copy some stuff, I seem unable to override the read protection. This means, to copy a file from Linux to Windows, I have to do the following:
                    - Boot into Linux
                    - Copy the file to my server
                    - Boot into Windows
                    - Copy the file from my server

If ext4 were to be supported under Windows, I would just have to do this:
                    - Boot into Windows
                    - Copy the file from my Linux partition within Windows

Yeah, I know there is ext2fsd but it doesn't seem right, and I have been failing to get it to work lately.

Comment

Originally posted by kneekoo View Post
                      I'd like an open source Windows for Workgroups 3.11.
                      This. It would be so nice to pair it with DOSBox as a way to get companies like GOG.com to license and re-release Win16 classics like Lode Runner: The Legend Returns.

Comment

Working...
                      X