Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Publishes exFAT Specification, Encourages Linux Support

Phoronix: Microsoft Publishes exFAT Specification, Encourages Linux Support

Just last month Microsoft was roped back into the discussion of exFAT support for Linux with an independent user looking to have Samsung's exposed exFAT open-source driver merged. That didn't happen yet, but Microsoft today published the exFAT file-system specifcation and is encouraging support for Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

One step more for a user-friendly Linux desktop experience (without having to install additional packages to get such a basic functionality).

Comment

Yes finally

Comment

I wonder what their plans for NTFS and ReFS are, though.

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          That didn't happen yet, but Microsoft today published the exFAT file-system specifcation and is encouraging support for Linux.
          I don't usually do this, but Congrats Microsoft
          Sadly, I write horrible posts, and the post below talks about what I meant to say and left me in the freaking dump.
          Last edited by tildearrow; 28 August 2019, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
            I don't usually do this, but Congrats Microsoft
            x2, this seems like a surprisingly un-nefarious move. Very out of character for the Redmond Beast.

Comment

OK... congrats, Microsoft! I hope you have some spare jackets for all those poor souls in the deep south.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
                x2, this seems like a surprisingly un-nefarious move. Very out of character for the Redmond Beast.
                I don't think it's all that surprising or uncharacteristic. MS has been un-nefarious toward Linux for at least 2 years. The only difference is back then, we were more suspicious, because we weren't used to them doing something actually beneficial for Linux with no strings attached.

It's kinda like someone who adopts an abused dog and hands out fresh food - the dog at first is wary, thinking "what are you going to do to me if I eat this?" but after a while, the new owner earns the dog's trust and the dog doesn't question why it is being fed well. It's the same level of kindness, just a matter of perspective.

PS:
                No - I'm not saying MS is kind.

Comment

Now if only they could go the other way and add Windows support for ext and btrfs

Comment

Finally. Next steps - MS adopting Vulkan and releasing active sync patent free.

Comment

Working...
                    X