POWER ISA Contributed To Open-Source, OpenPOWER Joining The Linux Foundation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by duby229 View Post
    You credit RISC-V, but the real truth is that this is a direct result of MIPS going open source.
    This strikes me as a rather pointless debate, but didn't SPARC provide open, royalty-free access to its ISA, even before MIPS?

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
    Still to this day there aren't -any-RISC-V chips in production and those few that are planed use ARM cores in various parts of the SOC. RISC-V doesn't yet exist and those that are planned wouldn't happen at all without ARM.
    Hmmm... I'm pretty sure Alibaba's RISC-V SoC doesn't use any ARM. Western Digital also isn't using ARM, anywhere, as that would defeat the point. And I doubt Nvidia is using ARM in their dGPUs that use RISC-V for management. I'm not really sure where you got this idea, in fact.

And you claim that "RISC-V doesn't yet exist"?

The world’s first RISC-V-based, Linux-capable development board

An open source, RISC-V development platform with wireless connectivity

There are already benchmarks:

OpenBenchmarking.org, Phoronix Test Suite, Linux benchmarking, automated benchmarking, benchmarking results, benchmarking repository, open source benchmarking, benchmarking test profiles

Comment

• Originally posted by coder View Post
      This strikes me as a rather pointless debate, but didn't SPARC provide open, royalty-free access to its ISA, even before MIPS?

Hmmm... I'm pretty sure Alibaba's RISC-V SoC doesn't use any ARM. Western Digital also isn't using ARM, anywhere, as that would defeat the point. And I doubt Nvidia is using ARM in their dGPUs that use RISC-V for management. I'm not really sure where you got this idea, in fact.

And you claim that "RISC-V doesn't yet exist"?

The world’s first RISC-V-based, Linux-capable development board

An open source, RISC-V development platform with wireless connectivity

There are already benchmarks:

https://openbenchmarking.org/s/SiFive
      I'm was at least reasonably certain the e31 and the e51 are a53 ARM cores, but I can see now that was wrong. Still even with these in production it doesn't change my point.

Comment

OT: But then that means a CHINA vs USA war.... Nobody wants that, not even China. If China tries to claim Tawain, then the USA is bound to defend them, it's not something the US can get out of.
        I assure you: there's no way the US is going to war with China, over Taiwan. It won't happen.

Perhaps you're familiar with the Sino-American Mutual Defense Treaty. That was superseded, in 1979, by the Taiwan Relations Act. The latter dropped official recognition of Taiwan, relegated diplomatic relations to a non-official status, and modified the defense arrangement:
        The Taiwan Relations Act does not guarantee the USA will intervene militarily if the PRC attacks or invades Taiwan nor does it relinquish it, as its primary purpose is to ensure the US's Taiwan policy will not be changed unilaterally by the president and ensure any decision to defend Taiwan will be made with the consent of Congress.

Comment

I'm was at least reasonably certain the e31 and the e51 are a53 ARM cores, but I can see now that was wrong. Still even with these in production it doesn't change my point.
          And your point was?

Comment

OT: But then that means a CHINA vs USA war.... Nobody wants that, not even China. If China tries to claim Tawain, then the USA is bound to defend them, it's not something the US can get out of.
            You don't understand..
            Taiwan is part of China!!
            the Same way has HongKong or Macau, or China "Mainland"..

Simply Taiwan has a special status the same way, HongKong and Macau, with a local Government..
            But if something goes Against China from Taiwan, China could intervene, and solve quickly the problem..
            Go to the Map and see were Taiwan is, or HongKong..

If China wants to change Taiwan, by International Law she can, ofcourse I am speaking about a event that could trigger a immediate change on Taiwan Status..
            That event can be triggered by Taiwan itself

In my Country, we have special status Islands too, but imagine, they decide to declare independence.. its "Game Over" for them!
            Legally they can't do that, because they are a intrinsically part of my Country... not a independent Country or something like that..

You can call this regions Federated Regions, they have a local "government", with bigger autonomy, than other regions, but they are part of a Country, in which they cannot act against, because in that case, the Autonomy will be lost..

I don't believe US has the Military power or Will, to Fight a war against China, in China, because that means defeat for US.
            But it also means a more severe thing, after a War of this scale, US will loose the Military Might status forever.. so US won't dare to interfere in China affairs..

They can try, but they will only go until some extent, after that point... its too much to loose.

Comment

• Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
              You don't understand..
              I suggest you stick to what you know. And it's clearly not this, as TIMUN and Dawn kindly explained.

Phoronix: POWER ISA Contributed To Open-Source, OpenPOWER Joining The Linux Foundation The big POWER announcement appears to be that the POWER instruction set architecture is being contributed to the open-source community and the OpenPOWER Foundation is becoming part of the Linux Foundation... http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?

Phoronix: POWER ISA Contributed To Open-Source, OpenPOWER Joining The Linux Foundation The big POWER announcement appears to be that the POWER instruction set architecture is being contributed to the open-source community and the OpenPOWER Foundation is becoming part of the Linux Foundation... http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
              I don't believe US has the Military power or Will, to Fight a war against China, in China, because that means defeat for US.
              We can agree on this. The US would lose a war over Taiwan. I think they know that.

Comment

• Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post

You don't understand..

Simply Taiwan has a special status the same way, HongKong and Macau, with a local Government..
                But if something goes Against China from Taiwan, China could intervene, and solve quickly the problem..
                Go to the Map and see were Taiwan is, or HongKong..

If China wants to change Taiwan, by International Law she can, ofcourse I am speaking about a event that could trigger a immediate change on Taiwan Status..
                That event can be triggered by Taiwan itself

In my Country, we have special status Islands too, but imagine, they decide to declare independence.. its "Game Over" for them!
                Legally they can't do that, because they are a intrinsically part of my Country... not a independent Country or something like that..

You can call this regions Federated Regions, they have a local "government", with bigger autonomy, than other regions, but they are part of a Country, in which they cannot act against, because in that case, the Autonomy will be lost..

But it also means a more severe thing, after a War of this scale, US will loose the Military Might status forever.. so US won't dare to interfere in China affairs..

They can try, but they will only go until some extent, after that point... its too much to loose.
                Not since WW2. Like it or not they established their own government. The Communists wer -NOT- in power when the Democrats established Taiwan's independence. And Hong Kong was part of the English Empire Long before the Communists were even a simple thought. What China is doing in Hong Kong is simply morally wrong.
                Last edited by duby229; 03 September 2019, 02:38 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by coder View Post
                  I suggest you stick to what you know. And it's clearly not this, as TIMUN and Dawn kindly explained.

https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...87#post1121387
                  https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...14#post1121414

We can agree on this. The US would lose a war over Taiwan. I think they know that.
                  Ummm, Have you seen anything at all about the US Navy? It really actually is undefeatable. China literally has zero chance of defeating that Navy, problem is Taiwan would be obliterated and nobody wants that not even China. It won't be a ground war....
                  Last edited by duby229; 03 September 2019, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Ummm, Have you seen anything at all about the US Navy? It really actually is undefeatable. China literally has zero chance of defeating that Navy, problem is Taiwan would be obliterated and nobody wants that not even China.
                    There are no such thing as 'undefeatable'..
                    US has a lot of Aircraft Carriers( 10 Super Carriers, I believe ), its the biggest thing US as on its favor..
                    Apart from that,
                    China would fought that war in China, with 1.5 Billion people out there, with the biggest army the world knows..

It won't be a ground war....
                    IT depends on what side you are looking at:
                    • From China perspective,
                    It would be essentially a ground War, with China Aerospace forces launching zillions of missiles from land to attack chips in the sea..
                    • From US perspective,
                    It would be a Sea War, with intents to after that Invade China Mainland, so that they can change the rule of power..

After China sunk 2,3,4,5 Super Carriers,
                    The US cannot continue sustaining such heavy losses, and with half of their Air Superiority, China could then Launch, a Air Operation, were they will obliterate the rest of the fleet..

But after this number of Super Carriers been sunk( 2 - 5 ), US will be forced to retreat..
                    Because with that war US would loose its Superpower Military Status World Wide..

China cannot retreat from China, remember that..
                    They will continue to be in their soil..

IF that war, ever broke out:
                    1) - China would Win it( with few losses )
                    2) - Russia, would win Everything( without a drop of blood spill )
                    3) - India, would win Everything( without a drop of blood spill )
                    4) - Iran, would win Everything( without a drop of blood spill )
                    5) - South Africa, would win Everything( without a drop of blood spill )
                    6) - Syria, would win Everything( without a drop of blood spill...errr they have already lost rivers of bood, but it would be like victory.. )
                    7) - Iraq, would win Everything( without a drop of blood spill...errr they have already lost rivers of bood, but it would be like victory.. )
                    8) - Afghanistan, would win Everything( without a drop of blood spill...errr they have already lost rivers of bood, but it would be like victory.. )

Now
                    US would loose everything..
                    Taiwan would loose its special status region of China..

When you compare all this,
                    You get to the correct point that US cannot, and should not attack China( If they don't want to loose their Military Super-status Worldwide.. ).

So, about Taiwan,
                    Yes China gives Taiwan a great degree of Liberty, like they do in HongKong and Macau,
                    BUT if China wants to change that, China has the Military power to do that, and US cannot block their intentions..
                    China knows it, and US of course also knows it..

So resuming all of this..
                    If China wants, China will get what it wants,
                    What US wants, ..is not a problem for China( because US will not be stupid to fight a war with China..in China.. )

Comment

Not since WW2. Like it or not they established their own government.
                      There are no such thing..
                      China is unified by international Law by some decades now..

The Center of Power that was in Taiwan signed a decree establishing they are 'part of China', or what you can call, China "Mainland"..
                      That decree was taken, and by International Law, as a base and so Taiwan was recognised as a inalienable part of China, or what some call China "Mainland",
                      With its politic's Maximum centre in Beijing..

So Like it or not,
                      Taiwan is China, with the Maximum rule of power been Beijing..
                      It is even recognised by the UN as such...

They have a local government, yes, as Macau, and HongKong( as some Islands in my Country also do.. )
                      The key difference is that, they are not a country, and Beijing are the maximum rule of Power in China.

The Communists wer -NOT- in power when the Democrats established Taiwan's independence. And Hong Kong was part of the English Empire Long before the Communists were even a simple thought. What China is doing in Hong Kong is simply morally wrong.
                      I don't know what you are up to...
                      ..the Democrats established Taiwan's independence..
                      What Democrats??? Are you crazy?
                      China was indeed Liberated from Japan claws, by Soviet Union, as was Mongolia, and Korea.
                      But there were no "Democrats" in China..

To put it simply, China top Society wanted to Rule..
                      and its impossible to have several ruling at same time, so divisions existed and were severe..
                      In this process the top Society Members that were "depressed" by the fact that they were not rulling,
                      Isolated themselves in Taiwan, and declared themselves the Center of Power of China..

A thing of kids, when they are not in good mood..
                      That division was never accepted of-course, and as such Taiwan never acquired a International Status of independence..
                      Later in the process Taiwan signed a decree saying that they are indeed part of China "Mainland"( which is silly because they were already part of China "Mainland" before, by International Law.. ).

Later the kids went on bad mood again, and Flee from Beijing, and Isolated again in Taiwan saying that they are the Center of China... ridicule..
                      Ofcourse they have never received attention by International Law,
                      By International Law, Beijing is the Center of Power in China( all parts of China.. ).

HongKong is a different story,
                      And it has to do with trade wars between United Kingdom, and China( what some call China "Mainland" ).
                      HongKong, is also recognised correctly, as part of China, by International Law..

I don't understand when you said:
                      What China is doing in Hong Kong is simply morally wrong.
                      HongKong is also part of China...
                      When you say that is 'wrong what China is doing to HongKong',
                      Is like saying 'is wrong what China is doing to China'

China is doing nothing to the HongKong people... the problem are always the Elites..
                      The ones that enslave the people to enrich without working themselves..
                      They are like a disease, a cancer..

This are the ones doing some damage in HongKong,
                      At the point that Beijing was thinking in Intervene Militarily in that part of China,
                      if the thing escalate beyond certain point..

What can I say about it.. I continue to say...China is right, they are all China..
                      They have rules, you brake them, you pay for the damages you create..
                      Its like that, in any other place on Planet Hearth( at least.. ).

Comment

Working...
                      X