Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

System76 Still Aiming To Be The Apple Of The Linux Space With Software & Hardware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When it comes to Linux Space, Apple is the last one they wish people to connect with.

Comment

Originally posted by winecooler5 View Post
      When it comes to Linux Space, Apple is the last one they wish people to connect with.
      Why would be Apple the last? And, why are you so sure, that it's a geenral opinion in Linux space?

Comment

Looking forward to their use of Coreboot. Not that happy that they have created their own operating system Pop!_OS. If their core activity is to provide hardware, it is risky to also become an OS provider. An OS that is mainly aimed at their own hardware. I would prefer that they maximize support and backporting for Debian, Ubuntu and the like.

An endorsement such as “Pop!_OS changed my workflow entirely...” is not that compelling to me, rather it shows that that user perhaps lacks the skills to set up that particular way of working in another OS.

Comment

I hope you are not serious about that reinventing the wheel statement. Reinventing the wheel literally gave us Linux!!!! Reinventing the wheel gave us GUI interfaces. Reinventing the wheel has moved the quality of programming languages significantly forward. For programmers this should be obvious as many text editors and IDE’s are effectively reinventing the wheel.

I’m not sure why this company is getting hit so hard in this thread! Yes they are doing something different but that is exactly what makes them worth a look.

look at this way my laptop, a mainstream HP just died. It could be the battery or something else. The point I’m trying to zero in on here is that I can not recommend an HP laptop to anybody at this point. A bunch of factors add up here to being really pissed of at HP but they have proven to me that they don’t want to be taken seriously in the Linux world. Here System 76 is trying to be taken seriously in the Linux world

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post

It's understandable why they go via Coreboot route and this choice is preferred by their target audience. On other hand there is no reason (besides NIH) to use own BIOS upgrade infrastructure.

It doesn't makes sense because you are the one who said "required". The right question is: why reinvent the wheel? What problems of tested and robust fwupd (that end user need to use anyway to upgrade everything else besides own System76 firmware, for example Logitech receivers, Thunderbolt eGPU boxes, Bluetooth headsets or something else) was solved by System76 own updater? They did it... for what?

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
            I hope you are not serious about that reinventing the wheel statement. Reinventing the wheel literally gave us Linux!!!! Reinventing the wheel gave us GUI interfaces. Reinventing the wheel has moved the quality of programming languages significantly forward. For programmers this should be obvious as many text editors and IDE’s are effectively reinventing the wheel.
            All examples you provided solve some issue and it's creation and existence can be justified.

On other hand System76 firmware updater doesn't solve anything and wasn't really needed <- this is statement you need to disprove.

Comment

Working...
            X