Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fedora Developers Discuss Ways To Improve Linux Interactivity In Low-Memory Situations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For enterprise applications, *Cough*Oracle*Cough* and systems where downtime is really bad, we keep swap turned on, with a small partition size. Please remember, swap is a memory paging concept, putting least accessed memory pages out on the slow device. When I got started with *nix, whole processes were moved to swap. In any case, these systems had 128 GB or 256 GB of RAM, so the old adage of having double the amount of RAM as swap was a complete no go. The reason swap was left on was just to buy time for someone to log in and do something via SSH. Our centralized monitoring folks would alarm on *ANY* swap usage, and a high priority ticket was then generated. My home lab workstation/server is 40 cores, 80 threads and 256GB of RAM. I *Still* have a 2GB swap partition. It never gets used, but is there just in case.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
      So hilarious. I knew the moment I read the headline that this was going to revolve around them dealing with memory problems in Gnome and systemd.
      It's not a bad idea to have the service manager handle it, given what it already knows. CGroups, user slices and service definitions can provide some sane distro defaults about the importance of certain processes and process hierarchies (e.g. don't kill sshd, session managers and display servers except as a last resort, kill memory-hungry user applications first before system services, notify and log OOM incidents, push OOM feedback to logged in users, etc). It's just important that these are set up to be defaults, and not hard-coded values embedded in distro packages that'll get overwritten on updates. Add in user/process quotas and pressure settings for memory and systemd might be able to prevent most OOM settings from happening. The capability to deal with multiple scenarios like this is exactly why many people didn't consider products like openrc or upstart as viable, long-term solutions. Most people actually want good, default system management.

Frankly, we need to get away from the idea that swap is required. Modern systems should be completely functional without paging to disk if the memory is there. And low memory scenarios should always be responsive enough for the user to immediately kill the greedy app they just started.

Everyone complains about Red Hat's motivations and approaches, but the reality is they're always willing to tackle hard problems instead of fobbing the responsibility off onto the users. It's why so many people support them despite the knee-jerk forum kvetching about systemd. Redhat sees a topical issue involving bad system behavior that's existed for years/decades and they'll talk about the best way to solve it. No one else wants to actually do the work to solve it or rock the boat, so they pass the buck. People want old problems to be fixed, not ignored.

The biggest winners in software tend to be people that ship early and ship often. It's not surprising that it's a winning strategy in FOSS, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray_o View Post
        i am not sure if the problem being discussed is similar to mine

when my system gets low on memory, the kernel won't free the cache, rather it's going to swap some of the programs that are currently open, like visual code, which leads to visual code being unresponsive for some amount of time when i switch to it, does anyone deal with the same issue or know how to fix it ?
        Try
        Code:
        sudo sysctl vm.swappiness=1
        though I doubt it will help at all.
        Last edited by birdie; 13 August 2019, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Terrablit View Post
          Everyone complains about Red Hat's motivations and approaches, but the reality is they're always willing to tackle hard problems instead of fobbing the responsibility off onto the users.
          I'm running the antiX distro with no systemd, no pulseaudio, no Gnome, no flatpak, etc. Best responsiveness I've ever seen in a distro. It's actually quite easy to live without many of RedHat's complicated solutions to problems.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

Try
            Code:
            sudo sysctl vm.swappiness=1
            though I doubt it will at all.
            I've tried this before, thanks anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

I'm running the antiX distro with no systemd, no pulseaudio, no Gnome, no flatpak, etc. Best responsiveness I've ever seen in a distro. It's actually quite easy to live without many of RedHat's complicated solutions to problems.
              Yeah, cause systemd affects your responsiveness.
              lol

Comment

Why is this always about "low ram systems"? you can run out of memory with any amount of RAM, since there is no unlimited amount available.
                Especially when developing I manage from time to time to lockup my system because I have 5 IDEs open and a build job running. (especially since I have one utterly buggy build job that leaks memory from time to time). Usually all is fine, but the moment I do something stupid and run out of memory I can basically kill the machine hard and reboot, potentially loosing work. I would rather it just kills one of the memory hogs and therefore minimizes my loss. Or freeze some processes and let me choose which one to slaughter ... I mean that's what I have the desktop for, right? So the OS can "communicate" with me.

Comment

I recently switched to Xfce and my system loves it.
                  I also use
                  Code:
                  $ sysctl vm.swappiness=1
                  for newer systems with low ram.

Comment

I don't know how common it is for people to run out of system memory, but the only cases I've had it happen so that system totally halts were caused by shell scripts accidentally falling into infinite recursion. And I must say at least that case looked pretty much as ugly under Windows as it did under Linux (unless they improved something in win since then, don't know, It's been a few years).

Comment

Originally posted by aksdb View Post
                      Why is this always about "low ram systems"? you can run out of memory with any amount of RAM, since there is no unlimited amount available.
                      Especially when developing I manage from time to time to lockup my system because I have 5 IDEs open and a build job running. (especially since I have one utterly buggy build job that leaks memory from time to time). Usually all is fine, but the moment I do something stupid and run out of memory I can basically kill the machine hard and reboot, potentially loosing work. I would rather it just kills one of the memory hogs and therefore minimizes my loss. Or freeze some processes and let me choose which one to slaughter ... I mean that's what I have the desktop for, right? So the OS can "communicate" with me.
                      You read it a bit wrong. The issue we're discussing is "Low memory pressure stall" - it has nothing to do with the amount of system RAM - only with its low free values.

Comment

Working...
                      X