Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steffo
    replied
    Does this also work with QtCreator running on WSL?! That would be cool!!!

Leave a comment:

• Pajn
    replied
    Vscode remote is far from limited to WSL. I use it to do development on my powerful server instead of my laptop. It is amazing! My laptop is much faster as it doesn't have to spend resources on build tools, test runners, etc. and also development is much faster as the server can compile faster, and can cache more without RAM limitations. Everyone running a laptop should absolutely try it!

Leave a comment:

• Teknoman117
    replied
    Wine just implements the old Win32 API which is becoming obsolete anyway. Now Microsoft are more about .NET Core and UWP.
    I work with game developers, and all of them have told me that absolutely none of the big game studios use .net or uwp. Everyone is still using Win32 because there is no bare C/C++ (as in unmanaged) API for modern windows. So Win32 is still very much alive, at least in the game development world.

Leave a comment:

• pracedru
    replied
    This is entirely to be expected.

Leave a comment:

• leech
    replied
    Originally posted by waxhead View Post
    Sounds very much like Embrace, Extend and Extinguish.... Only one E to go!
    My thoughts are that this is to hold back the Desktop Linux. Why switch desktops when you can just code for Linux servers on Windows?

Leave a comment:

• waxhead
    replied
    Sounds very much like Embrace, Extend and Extinguish.... Only one E to go!

Leave a comment:

• DeepDayze
    replied
    Originally posted by Aeder View Post
    Sounds like a solution that requires additional unnecessary steps when compared to just developing on Linux.
    Likewise you can build your app for Windows on Linux using Mingw (for x86_64 or plain x86).

Leave a comment:

• Wojcian
    replied
    F*ck you M$.

Leave a comment:

• woife
    replied
    @all: A little off topic ... but what would you recommend for remote developing/debugging in C/C++?
    E.g. developing a program for a Raspberry Pi running Raspbian.

What tools/IDEs do you use? How is your workflow?
    Do you prefer to cross-compile on the host, or to compile on the target?
    I once tried Eclipse RSE, but somehow I could not get it working and then I gave up.

Any time I try to do some embedded development, I end up with manually cross-compiling on the command line, manually copying around files via SSH, and manually executing/debugging them on the target. This only works because my programs are in the area of "Turn on a few GPIOs", but my approach would not scale to anything reasonably complex, e.g. developing a library.

Any hints, tips, or links to tutorials are welcome

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
    I think Microsoft would be better off if they embraced Wine instead. It feels like their operating system is becoming irrelevant for everything than getting the most performance out of video games. Only old developers will be willing to put up with Windows out of habit, and maybe because they like to use Visual Studio for whatever reason.
    Wine just implements the old Win32 API which is becoming obsolete anyway. Now Microsoft are more about .NET Core and UWP. The games probably use some game engine that abstracts that away, and all use DirectX 11 and 12.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X