Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scellow
    replied
    why this over macOS ? windows 10 is bloated AF, they should embrace linux fully and drop NT and NTFS

Leave a comment:

• ElectricPrism
    replied
    TL;DR - Microsoft wants to control developers.

Leave a comment:

• randomizer
    replied
    Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

Flawed arguement there.
    Information sheet regarding ISO27001 compliance for Linux, Unix and macOS based systems.

ISO27001 compliant is achieved on Linux Debian/Ubuntu/RHEL by adding Lynis, Technically you macos require Lynis as well because its not ISO 27001 compliant out box. Windows is also not ISO27001 compliant out box as you need to be running a Microsoft audit tool you need to download and add.
    I'm aware that you can make Linux ISO 27001 compliant. This is not a technical problem, it's a red tape problem. There is no way I'm going to convince IT or management that it's a valid option though. Our IT department is almost all Microsoft folk; I'm sure they were reluctant to let anyone run macOS but it was probably a requirement for design teams. Even when we could run Linux they were very hands off about providing support (they wouldn't be able to help you anyway).

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
    I would be highly suspect that ISO 27001 is being used as a bull crap arguement. In most cases I find its a bull crap arguement you have a legal requirement to be ISO 27001 compliant they restrict the OS then don't run the audit tools so in most of these cases running ISO 27001 not compliant and hope no one notices.
    We don't have a legal requirement but we do have contractual requirements. Whether or not they actually run audit tools is irrelevant. How long do you think I'll keep my job if I justify my decision to run a non-standard system image by saying that the company doesn't take compliance seriously anyway?

Leave a comment:

• oiaohm
    replied
    Originally posted by randomizer View Post
    That is exactly the setup I would be running if it was up to me. However, I can't just run whatever I want on a company workstation because it would never be signed off as ISO 27001 compliant. It's either Windows 10 or macOS (if I have a laptop). Anything else needs to be in a VM.
    Flawed arguement there.
    Information sheet regarding ISO27001 compliance for Linux, Unix and macOS based systems.

ISO27001 compliant is achieved on Linux Debian/Ubuntu/RHEL by adding Lynis, Technically you macos require Lynis as well because its not ISO 27001 compliant out box. Windows is also not ISO27001 compliant out box as you need to be running a Microsoft audit tool you need to download and add.

I would be highly suspect that ISO 27001 is being used as a bull crap arguement. In most cases I find its a bull crap arguement you have a legal requirement to be ISO 27001 compliant they restrict the OS then don't run the audit tools so in most of these cases running ISO 27001 not compliant and hope no one notices.

Leave a comment:

• randomizer
    replied
    Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post

If you really cared about performance, you would run Windows in a virtual machine, as NTFS is ancient, and has awful performance, not to mention how awful NT is at scheduling processes and taking advantage of multi-processor setups.
    That is exactly the setup I would be running if it was up to me. However, I can't just run whatever I want on a company workstation because it would never be signed off as ISO 27001 compliant. It's either Windows 10 or macOS (if I have a laptop). Anything else needs to be in a VM.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by Teknoman117 View Post

I work with game developers, and all of them have told me that absolutely none of the big game studios use .net or uwp. Everyone is still using Win32 because there is no bare C/C++ (as in unmanaged) API for modern windows. So Win32 is still very much alive, at least in the game development world.
    Don't worry, uid is all about breaking anything that's "old" even by 1 year.

Leave a comment:

• audir8
    replied
    MS is really going after the developer using Macs in silicon valley here. WSL is good enough for development and no need for brew/ports--all on a MS surface can probably bring a better dev environment than messing with OSX's quirks. Kind of hard to see them making inroads into Linux though. No reason to use VS Code or Atom from Windows instead of Linux if you're developing for Linux.

Leave a comment:

• Wojcian
    replied
    Originally posted by MihaiBojescu View Post
    Vscode remote is a-mazing. Freeing my laptop of the extra work and running it on another machine is genius.
    Yeah, astroturfers are back!

Leave a comment:

• discordian
    replied
    Originally posted by woife View Post
    @all: A little off topic ... but what would you recommend for remote developing/debugging in C/C++?
    E.g. developing a program for a Raspberry Pi running Raspbian.

What tools/IDEs do you use? How is your workflow?
    Eclipse CDT
    CMake + cmake4eclipse (takes the pain out of manually changing a-ton-a-things for crosscompiling)
    Remote Launch + gdb/gdbserver for debugging

I am really eyeing for Clion (Eclipse interface is messy), but I think I wont spend the (yearly!) money for my private use.

Key points: with CMake you can just seemlessly open your Project in various IDEs,
    find some good project layouts so you can build everywhere. (ex. https://github.com/mpusz/new-project-template)
    Clion or QTCreator demonstrate that you can rather easy work on them without
    having separate steps or requiring to keep additional IDE project files.

For remote/embedded Eclipse is still king so far, someone needs to fixup the UI, and make CMake painless to setup.

Do you prefer to cross-compile on the host, or to compile on the target?
    as much as possible on the host, including running unit tests.

I once tried Eclipse RSE, but somehow I could not get it working and then I gave up.
    RSE seems a weird pick, the CDT package has everything needed for remote debugging via GDB server.

Any time I try to do some embedded development, I end up with manually cross-compiling on the command line, manually copying around files via SSH, and manually executing/debugging them on the target. This only works because my programs are in the area of "Turn on a few GPIOs", but my approach would not scale to anything reasonably complex, e.g. developing a library.
    Depends on how complex your setup is. Eclipse's remote launch will copy over the target executable,
    but you will likely need some setup scripts for a more complex scenario.
    If you pick CMake, that could be a target you can launch from any IDE with proper support from CMake.

Any hints, tips, or links to tutorials are welcome

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by GizmoChicken View Post

I'm curious... If Microsoft sold and supported a propriety version of Wine (without the hiccups) , would you buy it? If so, how much would you pay?
    I probably wouldn't, as it would not be released under the GNU GPL. In fact, they could get away with simply selling DLLs tailored for use with Wine, that could greatly enhance it's compatibility with software. Oh, and they could make a fortune by selling Windows font packs, which would deal with licensing issues, and allow people to not have problems with office suites. They're sitting on a gold mine and not realizing what they can do with it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X