Microsoft Aiming For A Linux Development Workflow Around WSL + VS Code Remote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
    Also you don't have ISO27001 without having to go though certification of your procedures by third party.
    That is what we're doing. We're not compliant yet, but we're getting audited in a couple of months. I said before that we have contractual obligations which is not really the case yet, but we have customers demanding certification, and it will likely be contractual for future work with them.

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
    ISO27001 VM is absolutely not a magic bullet with ISO27001 VM and Baremetal requirements are identical. IT Officers in a ISO27001 setup should be wanting everything authorised no exceptions and no loopholes.
    That's interesting. I'm curious to know if this has been overlooked (deliberately or not). I don't know the requirements for ISO 27001 in any real detail but if it applies to VMs as well then that's probably going to cause some problems.

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
    You don't need a shitty European certification to get work done, if anything it hinders you.
    Of course it hinders us getting work done. You don't get these certifications to make life easier for technical departments, you get them to make life easier for salespeople.

Comment

Just develop, compile and run on Linux using a ssh - shell, why do it the hard way and use a non-native OS for development ?

I have configured Vim to be a Python3, Go, and C development IDE and Vim works great through SSH. My config and Vim IDE screenshots are here: https://github.com/mhartzel/vim_python3_ide_installer and there are countless other recipes for doing the same. Just ssh to your linux box / vm, start Screen and a Vim session in it. Screen makes sure you can log back into your session and continue where you left off if the ssh connection breaks. You can also run graphical programs on Linux and have the GUI being drawn on your windows box by using ssh Xforwarding and a X server on windows.

The microsoft solution prevents one from learning the native Linux workflows and tools and this might be a desired side effect for this ms release.

This solution works for me and gives me total independence from the OS running on the machine I happen to work on (windows, Macos., Linux, FreeBSD, etc).
      Last edited by mhartzel; 07 July 2019, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by waxhead View Post
        Sounds very much like Embrace, Extend and Extinguish.... Only one E to go!
        It's the only one of the E's that are bad, right? So you're pretty much saying the only problem is that there is no problem.

Listen, if Microsoft wanted to make a Mac-like GNU+Linux distro, using GNU and Linux as the basis and adding a proprietary desktop system on top, I would be all for it. Because the people who have chosen to use GNU+Linux, have chosen to do so for a set of reasons and I don't think they would want to switch to this new distro. But many others, who are currently using Mac or Windows, might want to use the new distro.

The missing E is the sole purpose of the GPL. It's literally the whole point. If you didn't care about EEE, then you would have absolutely no use for the GPL and you would just use a permissive license. So I wholeheartedly wish Microsoft all the success they can get building on Linux. I hope they make container loads of cash selling Linux to the mainstream audience.

Comment

I used to use VSCode with WSL(1) but io issues have lead me to use the remote development in docker containers. While looking forward to dockers new WSL 2 system so I can utilize dynamic memory. Most of the work I have done in VSCode and docker has been fine with the default 2gb memory, using the extension. Most of my work has been building golang and python via anaconda.

Comment

Originally posted by jo-erlend View Post

It's the only one of the E's that are bad, right? So you're pretty much saying the only problem is that there is no problem.

Listen, if Microsoft wanted to make a Mac-like GNU+Linux distro, using GNU and Linux as the basis and adding a proprietary desktop system on top, I would be all for it. Because the people who have chosen to use GNU+Linux, have chosen to do so for a set of reasons and I don't think they would want to switch to this new distro. But many others, who are currently using Mac or Windows, might want to use the new distro.

The missing E is the sole purpose of the GPL. It's literally the whole point. If you didn't care about EEE, then you would have absolutely no use for the GPL and you would just use a permissive license. So I wholeheartedly wish Microsoft all the success they can get building on Linux. I hope they make container loads of cash selling Linux to the mainstream audience.
            Yes I sort of agree - the major pain is the last E, but there is another one also. The Extend bit. While extending is crucial to development moving forward it is also the very reason we have challenges - especially if those responsible for the extend part is too dominant and manage to make a mess out of it before anyone else has time to react and thus implicitly therefore executing the last E quietly whenever it is intended or not.

I think that the only reason Microsoft has NOT built their own "on top of" linux version yet is simply because that would send the wrong signal to the corporate world which could take this as a sign that they don't need Microsoft at all, because if they use this (linux) then why can't they use another supplier...

What Microsoft needs to do is to first embrace Linux , pretend that they extended it and make it "professional" to establish dominance before then extinguishing the so "non-professional" bit of it. That day will come , and I assure you that it will be a lot of marketing bullcrap where they claim that they had a vision, they innovated, they delivered, brought it up to another level etc etc....

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Not interested. This is a play by MS to keep them relevant in corporate by selling management a one stop MS solution to push on us developers. Problem is, I horribly despise win 10 or windows in general as a desktop OS. OSX is barely better.
              Last edited by bnolsen; 08 July 2019, 10:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Scellow View Post
                why this over macOS ? windows 10 is bloated AF, they should embrace linux fully and drop NT and NTFS
                Windows 10 might be bloated, but OSX is buggier. Really, any development other than Apple development on OSX is done with tons of patch jobs/libraries from brew/ports if possible at all, and a few things like running android emulators would do hard resets not too long ago. Which makes sense, Apple doesn't allow a Steam streaming app, so not caring about other development is on brand for Apple.

People are reading a little too much into WSL 1/2, for Microsoft it's all just about this market of developers. I wouldn't want a MS Linux, it would be full of bloat, knee-capped in some crucial way, and it's fiction as far as I'm concerned. MS is still MS, offering just enough functionality and making money from it is what it's done and is still doing, just in a more "holistic" way.
                Last edited by audir8; 08 July 2019, 01:43 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X