Longtime X11/Linux Developer Joins SiFive To Work On RISC-V Processors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Longtime X11/Linux Developer Joins SiFive To Work On RISC-V Processors

Phoronix: Longtime X11/Linux Developer Joins SiFive To Work On RISC-V Processors

Keith Packard has joined RISC-V company SiFive. Yes, the same Keith Packard that is the longest still active (though somewhat more dormant these days) X Window System developer who for many years had led much of the X11/X.Org efforts and worked for nearly a decade at Intel on their open-source Linux graphics driver stack before working for HP Labs and also a side-gig for Valve improving the Linux stack for VR...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Cool, the guys at SiFive are doing a lot of cool stuff. One corner of their office is a hilarious stereotype of a startup EE workspace, the vibe is really good, and everyone seemed happy they were there. I wonder what exactly Keith will be working on. :- )
    Last edited by microcode; 01 July 2019, 09:52 PM.

Comment

This is some awesome news for Keith and OSS

Comment

Essentially Adam Jackson is the only person maintaining Xorg now, isn't it?

Yet another nail in X's coffin. And Thunderbird Wayland and Firefox Wayland still can't run in Weston or Plasma Wayland as of today.
        Last edited by Sonadow; 01 July 2019, 10:44 PM.

Comment

Cannot? What's the problem? I'm using Ffx/Wayland on sway and Gnome-shell and it's working fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
            He didn't say he stopped working on Xorg. Open soure people often change jobs but still keep contributing to the projects they have been contributing to before.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

Yet another nail in X's coffin. And Thunderbird Wayland and Firefox Wayland still can't run in Weston or Plasma Wayland as of today.
              I use Firefox (mostly nightly) on Plasma Wayland, it works unless you resize the window. But Kwin has the flickering issue with subsurfaces, and that is the most annoying thing when testing Firefox Wayland.

Comment

Makes sense. RISC-V could use some of the X11's inherent security, simplicity and speed... /s

Comment

That's too bad for X11, but this dramatically increases my faith in SiFive.

Comment

While this is bad news for X.org, I don't think it's too bad, considering it means someone experienced will work on RISC-V full-time.

Comment

Working...
                    X