Ubuntu Developer Talks Down Impact Of 32-Bit Changes For Ubuntu 19.10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Developer Talks Down Impact Of 32-Bit Changes For Ubuntu 19.10

Phoronix: Ubuntu Developer Talks Down Impact Of 32-Bit Changes For Ubuntu 19.10

Following Valve saying they won't be officially supporting Ubuntu 19.10 and Wine developers questioning their Ubuntu 32-bit builds following the announcement this week of not providing new 32-bit packages for new Ubuntu releases, longtime Ubuntu developer and Canonical employee Steve Langasek is trying to provide some clarity into the situation...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

i find it strange that this statement comes right after they tried those GOG games on 64 bit only ubuntu.
    Valve also gave up on them.
    seems that they realize that they made a huge mistake and not they try to prevent the damage that they will suffer from this.

Comment

Damage control.

Comment

I respect their decision, but I wish they would have given a little more notice. It would be nice if they'd extend support up through Ubuntu 20.04 and freeze the version there. That would give Valve and all others affected more time to figure things out.

Comment

So Multilib is going to be supported by enabling 18.04 repos inside 19.10, yeah that sounds like a wonderful idea /sarcasm

So glad I don't use Ubuntu. I wonder if System 76 will follow that way with Pop!_OS or build the packages themselves? I know people are hoping Valve goes with Pop for the new offical distro, but I kinda hope they don't. I love what System 76 is doing for linux and I like my laptop that I have from them (even though its not supported by them anymore, no firmware/bios updates for the lemur 5 (broadwell) model). I just don't care for their lack of the more linux friendly AMD gpus. I'm sure Pop!_OS supports AMD gpus perfectly fine and I know Steams userbase is made up of more Nvidia users. I just wish that them a linux hardware vendor supported the more open source friendly gpu maker. /rant

Comment

So instead of the latest Mesa 19.1, there will be the old 18.2 version for all 32-bit apps (games)? Seriously, Canonical?

Comment

Deleted, because brainfuck
              Last edited by MoonMoon; 23 June 2019, 12:04 PM.

Comment

The damage is done, I suppose... without acknowledging a mistake, they won't be able to fix this, I can't see why they believe that there might be an acceptable workaround.

Comment

20.04 is over a year out. They already have 18.04 for 10 years. At what point are they supposed to draw the line? This is the slowest 'shake the tree' that they can possibly do.

Comment

I hope Valve stick to their guns ...

Comment

Working...
                    X