Microsoft Releases First Preview Of Windows Terminal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chugworth View Post
    Yeah, that's one complaint I have about it also. One of the best examples is when they changed the gun icon to a water pistol. It would have been one thing if they removed the gun, and added a new code for a water pistol, but they just changed the image. So if you send a message that includes the water pistol, it could have an entirely different meaning if the recipient's device still has the gun icon.

I think emoji icons do have a good place in messaging, but the database is getting a bit out of hand and becoming sort of a stage for virtue signaling. When they start making icons that look more like real people, then they have to make sure they include every race, gender, and sexual orientation in every occupation. How about just a set of smilies?
    I disagree. Efficient communication depends on having a common language. If the language both ambiguously defined and reinterpreted at what's effectively the transport layer, then it's counterproductive as a form of communication.

Smileys and kaomoji (such as : D and ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ) are made out of fixed characters used as building blocks for an expression that make sense to a human, but at the same time is regular characters which should be individually rendered as accurately as possible to a machine.

As for the virtue signaling part I somewhat agree. Paradoxically they think they've brought "equality" to a character specification by adding tools for discrimination. I miss the time when the internet was about minds talking to each other, rather than so-and-so minorities doing a dance of political correctness.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

you can already sort of do that today with mingw (xming i think I recall?)
      You can do it only one way, and it doesn't officially come from Microsoft. I'd love to have a Windows VM that exposes its windows over X11 so they can appear native to me and be controlled by my window manager. Apple did this back in the day when they provided an X server for macOS.

Comment

Originally posted by Djhg2000 View Post

Who in their right mind would want emoji in their terminal?
        Gitmoji is an emoji guide for your commit messages. Aims to be a standarization cheatshee /t for using emojis on GitHub's commit messages.

Some of my acquaintances at Google and Microsoft actually practice that.

Comment

Glad I joined Phoronix so I can read about all of these exciting new products Microsoft has in the pipe for its Windows 10 OS

Comment

Originally posted by unixfan2001 View Post

Gitmoji is an emoji guide for your commit messages. Aims to be a standarization cheatshee /t for using emojis on GitHub's commit messages.

Some of my acquaintances at Google and Microsoft actually practice that.
            That sounds utterly horrifying.

Comment

If Windows gets perfect Wayland integration before gnome and KDE, then I'll be sad.

Comment

That sounds utterly horrifying.
                I haven't tried it myself, yet (I think the most I ever did was end one or two commit messages with random animal faces. Just for the giggles).
                I assume it would take quite some getting used to. Probably better to just stick to regular text labels like "Hotfix:" or "Feature:".
                It does look fun though.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                  PowerShell is only good for a narrow set of people because it's bloody slow, when I ran for the first time "ls" and it took like 3 seconds I was "WTF??", I don't know why it happens but it's the reason along with its weird behaviour (like taking a long time to start up) why almost anyone ignores it. I think "The Windows Terminal" is finally what normal people have been waiting for - a modern responsive windows terminal.
                  Powershell is probably slow initially because it needs to load up the CLR and give the JIT compiler a bit of a workout. Windows Terminal won't change that because it's orthogonal to Powershell. It's a replacement for conhost, which is what people have really been wanting to get rid of. You would run Powershell (or Bash, or any other shell) inside Windows Terminal.

Just print them as two "unknown sequence" characters, possibly with embedded hex values. Just like any other unprintable garbage.
                  But they are neither unknown nor unprintable. You're suggesting spending developer time to introduce an artificial regression which will undoubtedly increase Github issue housekeeping as well. Try selling that to a product manager.

Comment

Originally posted by randomizer View Post
                    But they are neither unknown nor unprintable. You're suggesting spending developer time to introduce an artificial regression which will undoubtedly increase Github issue housekeeping as well. Try selling that to a product manager.
                    They are unprintable in the context of a terminal because they do not transfer through a monochromatic filter without losing significant information. That, and they are most certainly unknown to a VT100 terminal (although to be fair, so is a lot of kaomoji).

Comment

That, and they are most certainly unknown to a VT100 terminal
                      And why on earth should we consider VT100 terminals?

Comment

Working...
                      X