Valve Will Not Be Officially Supporting Ubuntu 19.10+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cusa123 View Post
    What I'm saying is that it is possible that google works with canonical to discard steam? And have a newer platform for native linux users with really AAA games.
    Ah I see.
    Sorry I misunderstood.

Comment

What I'm saying is that it is possible that google works with canonical to discard steam? And have a newer platform for native linux users with really AAA games.
      Google has their own distribution. Its called Chrome... and streaming doesn't care about 32bit or 64bit libs.

Google is bypassing all the operating systems... Google is going to deleive AAA gaming on Chrome and basically anything that can browse the web. They have no need to support any specific OS.

Comment

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post

Written rules on how to and how to not behave have been part of human civilization since we invented the written language. Sometimes I wonder about the age of people here considering that if they are old enough to work they must have missed all the legalize that covers the behavioural rules that apply at each workplace.

Such rules exists everywhere, it's just that sometimes they are not written down which means that they can be arbitrarily put against you, by writing down the actual rules as i.e Debian have done means that you can actually defend yourself against a defined ruleset and thus admins cannot just throw you out "just cause".
        There's a difference to having rules at a workplace and at a community project. Usually a community project will do just fine without having any formal rules. Those who end up constantly being at odds with the rest of a project are usually better off forking it.

Just look at MPlayer; there was almost constant forking because in many respects it was a very capable player with poor management over the codebase. Eventually one of the forks gained enough traction to survive and that's why we have MPV today. Can you imagine if there was a set of rules in place to prevent them from going off at each other? We'd probably be stuck with MPlayer in all of it's single threaded glory with a few random forks for stylized subtitle formats, because nobody would've seen the frustration and subsequent anger from those trying to fix it.

Sometimes people need to be offended for things to happen and sometimes you just can't be friends with everyone. It's human nature and taking that away ultimately paves the way for totalitarianism as it propagates throughout society.

Also there are plenty of stories floating around where written rules are being applied arbitrarily in a corporate setting to get rid of people. This is nothing new, abusing the rules are about as old as the rules themselves and having them written down just makes it easier to abuse the wording.

Originally posted by thebishop View Post
        To the person who bemoaned Debian's "PC" culture: find the nearest dustbin of history, and kindly throw yourself in. If you don't care about making tech communities more welcoming to anyone who isn't a white, straight man, you're the one with the problem.
        And how exactly does abusable rules make tech communities "more welcoming to anyone who isn't a white, straight man"? If you're on the internet and still give a crap about skin color, sexuality or gender, it doesn't make you progressive. It makes you a racist perverted sexist.

You can be a snake hanging out with llama for all I care, it doesn't affect what I think about your code.

Comment

Originally posted by ChadD View Post

Google has their own distribution. Its called Chrome... and streaming doesn't care about 32bit or 64bit libs.

Google is bypassing all the operating systems... Google is going to deleive AAA gaming on Chrome and basically anything that can browse the web. They have no need to support any specific OS.
          1-https://www.change.org/p/canonical-c...sion-of-ubuntu

2- The problem is that if Google Stadia is not what you think you will have to sell video games for local mode in order to leave windows in the background and sell cheaper for Linux?
          My English is not good, I'm sorry.

Comment

H*ly crap this is a blockbuster move by Valve. Ubuntu really pissed people off with the dick move decision to remove official 32-bit app support.

Debian or maybe Fedora makes the most logical sense. I highly doubt Valve is gonna target Archlinux, being that Its a rolling release and hard to develop for.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

I wouldn't be surprised if they're laughing from reading your post.
              I'm sure their balance sheet are laughing with them being in the red so far on the linux side...

Comment

Really you have missed the elephant Canonical is a UK company who biggest customer is China government. USA trade barriers basically will mean for Ubuntu biggest paying market Google products, Valve Steam and 32 bit x86 binary support means nothing. In fact I would not be surprised if soon Ubuntu announces a Risc-V version.

So yes Ubuntu actions may be their own ideas or might be a result of all the stupid rules. Yes Microsoft is being prevented supplying China based companies with copies of Windows as well. Nothing like leaving a huge market with a void of supply.

Comment

Wow... so I switch over to gaming on Linux because it finally didnt suck. In fact I just recently bought Borderlands 2 specifically for its Linux support. I am happy gaming on Linux with Pop_OS based on Ubuntu 19.04... Now just as Linux is getting mostly good for me on the desktop... after 15 years with it waiting and I may have to go back to Windows.

I sincerely hope that Conical comes to their senses and bails on this decision. For the vast majority of life outside High Performance Computer and high end serving there is no actual need for 64bit applications (note the specific reference to application). A 64 bit OS is highly useful but on a technical level if an individual application can address a full 4 odd Gb of memory (the 32bit limit) that is still perfectly fine for gaming and web browsing.

There is still very much a place for 32bit, even if you just argue for backwards compatibility.

Comment

Yes, I do not want to go back to Windows just because Canonical will break the Gamers Linuxers, what I think is that Ubuntu may not be distro to "desktop " because of this unless Canonical brings support to Steam, Wine32, Lutris, printer drivers and libraries 32bits for Nvidia drivers on your own

Comment

• Originally posted by zexelon View Post
                      Wow... so I switch over to gaming on Linux because it finally didnt suck. In fact I just recently bought Borderlands 2 specifically for its Linux support. I am happy gaming on Linux with Pop_OS based on Ubuntu 19.04... Now just as Linux is getting mostly good for me on the desktop... after 15 years with it waiting and I may have to go back to Windows.

I sincerely hope that Conical comes to their senses and bails on this decision. For the vast majority of life outside High Performance Computer and high end serving there is no actual need for 64bit applications (note the specific reference to application). A 64 bit OS is highly useful but on a technical level if an individual application can address a full 4 odd Gb of memory (the 32bit limit) that is still perfectly fine for gaming and web browsing.

There is still very much a place for 32bit, even if you just argue for backwards compatibility.
                      System76 hasn't said they will be dumping the 32bit libraries. They could still be based on Ubuntu and continue to ship them. What this comes down to isn't 32bit OS vs 64bit its the 32 bit libraries. It should also still be possible to install steam via flatpak under newer Ubuntu versions that have the 32 bit libraries installed. This is really a move away from Ubuntu as the recomended Linux system requirement... on the back end development wise I'm not to sure much would change. Whichever distro Valve picks to replace Ubuntu as the recomended best option... its going to get a nice bump in interest.

There are plenty of distros much better then Ubuntu which work great with steam and will continue to work great with steam. Manjaro and Solus are both better gaming distros imo... and both are currated rolling release which also imo is a better option for new users. (being currated it would be easy for Valve to dictate libaries ect... or even help with say a project like Solus Steam integration.

Comment

Working...
                      X