No announcement yet.

Valve Will Not Be Officially Supporting Ubuntu 19.10+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replying on comment #62 from a mobile. Moving SteamOS to a Fedora based distribution will be easier as the desktop is Gnome Shell based. Dnf/rpm as backend is fairly documented and writing a spec file is very easy with a well defined macros minimize breakage. Additionally, Valve will take advantage of the security feature like Selinux to help them resolve some vulnerabilities from the games themselves and also ostree based Fedora Silverblue infrastructure.

Comment

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if Valve just dropped linux support. They pooled so many resources into the thing and nothing came back.

Comment

Time to switch to Manjaro guys

Comment

It will not be that canonical + google have better performance in the future ?. I think google stadia sell us direct games to native linux.

Comment

It looks like I am going to seek refuge here: https://software.opensuse.org/distributions/leap/15_1 (KDE edition)
            I am a bit worried that I will have to keep fixing things with Tumbleweed, otherwise Tumbleweed looks great.

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
              Valve is slowly but surely realizing it's not games that prevented the Linux desktop from gaining popularity. It's because it doesn't work. I have to support this sh*t at work (preseed, Ansible, etc.), and I still face like 3 bugs a day which I have to work around somehow. Every feature or config option is a hit or miss, on some releases it works, on others, it won't.
              You're compiling the latest kernel git at your work? What bugs did you hit? Bug reports, please? You sounds like full of shit.

Comment

Fedora doesn't support NvIdia Optimus, so it's not a good choice for Steam laptop owners.
                Ubuntu screwed up in so many ways. They didn't understand the technical consequences of the announcement. They didn't verify their proposed solutions first and they didn't consult. 19.10 will prove that this idea is a failure, just like they learnt from 17.10 how unready Wayland is. Both things didn't need a release to discover the obvious. Maybe this time Ubuntu desktop team can just change their mind before the obvious becomes obvious.

Comment

Originally posted by cusa123 View Post
                  It will not be that canonical + google have better performance in the future ?. I think google stadia sell us direct games to native linux.
                  It is not true that you automatically have better performance on 64bit.
                  In general there is not much difference in speed between 32bit(x86) apps and 64bit(x86_64) apps
                  Last edited by Raka555; 22 June 2019, 07:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Almindor View Post
                    Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if Valve just dropped linux support. They pooled so many resources into the thing and nothing came back.
                    I wouldn't be surprised if they're laughing from reading your post.

Comment

Originally posted by Raka555 View Post

It is not true that you automatically have better performance on 64bit.
                      In general there is not much difference in speed between 32bit(x86) apps and 64bit(x86_64) apps
                      What I'm saying is that it is possible that google works with canonical to discard steam? And have a newer platform for native linux users with really AAA games.

Comment

Working...
                      X