Valve Will Not Be Officially Supporting Ubuntu 19.10+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
    This is one thing that Windows does exceptionally well; backwards compatibility.
    Windows backward compatibility is one of the most overrated features I ever used.

I have the physical version of BioShock 1 and it doesn't work correctly on Windows Vista. BioShock was developed for Windows XP, but released in Vista era. My physical Fallout 3 doesn't work correctly on Windows 7, but it did it correctly on Windows Vista and XP.

I read in Steam forums that Civilization V doesn't work on Windows 10 although it was released when Windows 7 (the nearest operating system to 10) was available (I don't have Civilization V and now I don't have Windows in a physical machine).

So. Where is the fabulous Windows backward compatibility? The most of times that I needed it it simply didn't work.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
      I did a quick check and apparently all Valve games on Linux are 32 bit, no wonder they are looking to ditch Ubuntu. It is unfortunately they didn't push for developers to at last provide both 32 and 64 bit executables at the launch of Steam on Linux, since they were starting from zero then.
      Looking in my steamapps folder, many of the Linux games have 32 AND 64 bit executables in the directory. The appid entry on the server side though, has to specify the file the launcher is supposed to run. They're all currently pointing to the 32 bit one, as that works on all installs. If it was set to the 64 bit one, it would fail to launch on any 32 bit system, with no error message.

There may have been some direction for devs to do this, otherwise I wouldn't expect to see so many with both versions installed. They may have planned that one day they would change the server side pointers and the clients would all start launching the 64 bit version instead.

Comment

Unbeknownst to us all Microsoft purchased Canonical and decided to deep six Ubuntu. #fakenews

But seriously, what kind of brain dead decision was that to stop providing 32 bit support? One of the absolute best reasons to use Linux is how well all the old games work on Linux with wine. My theory is that the new Microsoft "Modern OS" is actually going to be Linux based, like Android, where the backwards compatibility is going to be provided by a customized wine. As has already been noted, wine actually works far better than Windows compatibility modes in probably the majority of cases.

Comment

Originally posted by Venemo View Post
          Isn't it a bit too early for everyone to start hating Ubuntu just yet? The decisiob to drop 32-bit is not set in stone, is it?
          "Either you already hated it to begin with, or you never will"

Originally posted by Dedale View Post
          About Debian, i am seriously worried about their PC political turn [...] And Debian is all about excellence.
          Not sure if that is the contradiction of the year (can't be about excellence if they do self-harm), or the tautology of the year (self-harm executed excellently).

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
          But for a real future proof solution, you want to be using an OS that cares about more than one or two "current" architectures.
          A real future proof solution is making the source code available, so people who care could do some kind of forward porting. But we know the source thing ain't gonna happen for most titles.

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
          Valve is slowly but surely realizing it's not games that prevented the Linux desktop from gaining popularity. It's because it doesn't work.
          FLOSS projects are about doing "The Right Thing" (whatever that is in the specific case). Only when monetizing, reach and popularity a primary target. Valve should have well known that back when they started thinking about steam-on-Linux.

Btw. we live in the year 2019 and there's still no sane way to have encryption on Linux. eCryptfs is deprecated by pretty much everyone, TrueCrypt is EOL, LUKS requires repartitioning (and also has 10 years old bugs),
          Link to bug report, or it didn't happen.

which is a good candidate for most idiotic thing ever. The "best" (least horrible) choice is fscrypt by Google, which stands at 0.2.4, is considered unstable, doesn't have a way to backup and recover your stuff, and hasn't seen a commit in the last 6 months. This is your best bet.
          encfs is a possibility.

Comment

On a more serious note, maybe it's time for the Linux FOSS community to have a discussion about how best to support 32 bit applications going forward? Perhaps it's possible to provide support for 32 bit applications while ending support for 32 bit architecture in the base OS itself? The current situation where you have to figure out which 32 bit packages you need to install to support 32 bit applications is more than a little awkward. A single, neat, tidy package that provides full support for legacy 32 bit applications in the context of a 64 bit OS might be a bit more user friendly.

Comment

Originally posted by cynical View Post

The problem is that you would need something better to migrate to, and nothing like that exists.
              I think Arch can fill that gap, it's a perfect desktop distro, as rolling release is the only model that makes sense in such setups, and it has the best documentation out there as well. I think it's the most user-friendly distro.

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post

I think Arch can fill that gap, it's a perfect desktop distro, as rolling release is the only model that makes sense in such setups, and it has the best documentation out there as well. I think it's the most user-friendly distro.
                Are you on drugs?

Comment

Great. Let's push Ubuntu to bring 32-bit packages back.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post

That's not true.
                    I'm an old Windows gamer playing a lot of old games.
                    I don't remember having any major issue playing the same games from XP to Vista to Windows 7. Don't know about 10, but that one has its own problems.

I've been playing a lot of older 32 bit games on Windows 7 64 bit without any problems and without requiring me to download anything extra. It just worked.
                    How comes that Windows 64 bit can run 32 bit games and programs without any problems and Linux can't all of a sudden ?
                    I don't know what you are talking about. There's always problems with games that are abandoned not working on newer versions of Windows. Look at all the older TellTale games like Sam & Max's negative reviews section on steam.
                    Sam & Max 101: Culture Shock - Sam & Max: Episode 1 - Culture Shock - The former child stars of the Soda Poppers TV show are wreaking havoc all over the neighborhood! But this is no ordinary tale of child stars gone awry. There's a dark force behind the Poppers' baffling antics. Using only their wits and a slew of heavy household objects, it's up to Sam & Max to save the day!One of six self-contained cases with an overarching story arc.Simple point & click interface with a low learning curve.Catchy jazz soundtrack featuring live performers and over three hours of original music.Intuitive gameplay that appeals to new players as well as adventure-game diehards.And it's funny!

Comment

The more I read on https://twitter.com/Plagman2/status/1142262103106973698 and even here, the more I’m depressed.
                      Folks, WTF. Why recommending Arch/Manjaro as a replacement? A mainstream distro. should be day-one hassle-free, like Ubuntu!
                      I hate this elitism. This move makes the community bad-looking, and at the end, it will only reduce GNU+Linux user-base.

PS: I’m an Arch user, but would never recommend it to a new user.

Comment

Working...
                      X