Valve Will Not Be Officially Supporting Ubuntu 19.10+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scellow View Post
    so why they don't end support for macOS too ?

another executive that should be replaced
    Depends on your point of view. The mac port has been on minimal life support for quite a few years.

Comment

Time to recompile, would be my instinct. Do game devs delete their source code after release, or what?

Having a dependency on a 32-bit userland is just an annoyance, and the wrong choice nowadays.

Comment

Originally posted by Dedale View Post
        Oh, it is of insignificant importance. After all, gaming is a childish edge case, an improductive afterthought. Freed from that disgusting 32 bits burden, Ubuntu will soar to server and IoT domination since we all know desktop distro usage has no effect on non-desktop distro choices from devs.

Also, i am sure the fraction of WIN7 users who are spooked by WIN10 and were Linux curious will appreciate that perfectly timed clarification.
        Hello my 4chan /g/ fella. You need go back to your containment board with your animes and others shit.

Comment

Wine compatibility with old 32bits games depends on 32bit kernel feature?

Comment

Originally posted by andoride View Post
            Wine compatibility with old 32bits games depends on 32bit kernel feature?
            32bit compatibility is provided by the processor.

Comment

Originally posted by andreano View Post
              Time to recompile, would be my instinct. Do game devs delete their source code after release, or what?

Having a dependency on a 32-bit userland is just an annoyance, and the wrong choice nowadays.
              That's not always possible.

Sometimes companies no longer exist to recompile the sources stored on a server that no longer exists.

Licenses and rights change and a "leave it as is" clause may exist which would include rebuilding it.

Some do delete their source code and it could be on purpose or due to software/hardware failures.

Sometimes no one at the company knows how to work the code because all the people who did it have moved on to a different company and their documentation sucked.

Comment

This is one thing that Windows does exceptionally well; backwards compatibility.

Windows on Windows (WOW64) is something that Microsoft has spent some serious time with because they realised without it; the migration to 64-bit could have been very messy.

Linux has a WOW64 "alternative" in the code, as part of 32-bit compat in the kernel and can be utilised as a chroot. I am not entirely sure why people are not happy running an i.e Ubuntu 20 64-bit install and then an older Ubuntu 16 32-bit userland in a chroot for games.

Newer games for Linux are generally 64-bit and we know the older games are not going to improve to require newer libraries so the older "set in stone" 32-bit userland will be able to support them until the death of x86*.

But for a real future proof solution, you want to be using an OS that cares about more than one or two "current" architectures. Debian is generally a good "boring" choice here. I always thought this was obvious but it seems a lot of people overlook this "due diligence" and go with marketing and brands instead.
                Last edited by kpedersen; 22 June 2019, 09:37 AM.

Comment

So it's just a 32bit packages drop from canonical official repos from 19.10. No need to recompile to make steam works: use snap or flatpak. They are made for this use case scenario.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post

Depends on your point of view. The mac port has been on minimal life support for quite a few years.
                    that's stupid then, macOS has more shares than linux, and twice the number of supported games

Comment

Ubuntu has to accept that while pure 64-bit systems are nice, there are simply too many applications still relying on 32-bit. Like it or not 32-bit code can run on both legacy 32-bit systems and mixed 32/64-bit systems.

The previous solution of not providing 32-bit install media is about as far as they can go before making themselves irrelevant.

Comment

Working...
                      X