Ubuntu 19.10 To Drop 32-bit x86 Packages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is going to be a mess.

Brother, which has full Linux support for their printers, only has 32bit lpr/cups drivers even for their newest printers.

Comment

Originally posted by xfcemint View Post

If they are dropping 32-bit packages, that probably means they are dropping 32-bit versions of apps (or at least, for those apps which have 64-bit support, which means almost all apps). I doubt that Ubuntu will drop 32-bit libraries (which would prevent 32-bit apps from running). That would be ridiculous, and therefore, it is impossible. Nooone (at Ubuntu) is that stopid.

Perhaps Michael should have said "dropping 32-bit versions of *MOST* apps".
      They're dropping all 32-bit support and are expecting users to run 18.04 in a chroot or container for 32-bit software and in another three and a half years their solution for their users is currently "¯\_(ツ)_/¯, we suppose you could (use Gentoo and) compile a 32-bit environment your-damn-selves". Apparently multiple people at Ubuntu are that stupid. And that Gentoo comment isn't a joke....wtf do they expect people to use to do the following:

- Once we're past the point where security support is available for the
      libraries anyway, maybe there's no advantage anymore to having your 32-bit compat libraries managed via the packaging system either; so maybe you just make /lib/i386-linux-gnu a straight unpacked tarball of the libs you need, and no longer have to worry about the version-lockstep constraints of multiarch.
      Also, it appears that those fucktarded assclowns forgot about compiler updates, PIE, PIC, compiler based mitigations...yeah, the library itself might not be updated but that doesn't mean that other parts of the process haven't been hardened making a recompile necessary or just a good idea...

Comment

I'm glad "someone" is doing this, its a good step towards the future.
        That said, I likely won't be using it as it doesn't suit my work case.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
          Well one thing is for sure... people who want 32-bit app support like gamers will surely be DROPPING support for Ubuntu.
          Of course, same like Aspyr dropping support for macOS Catalina

https://www.techradar.com/news/heads...ort-for-32-bit

This Ubuntu story is quite similar plan like macOS is doing, just a bit later on

Comment

Also, also, I'm gonna seriously ROFL when/if Steam decides to switch to Suse due to this.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
              Also, also, I'm gonna seriously ROFL when/if Steam decides to switch to Suse due to this.
              More likely Mint or even CentOS 7/8. Suse is a very niche distro.

Comment

Wait...

Shouldn't it be realtively straightforward to import 32-bit libraries packages from Debian? Perhaps some Ubuntu derivatives will do this (like Mint). I mean, Mint already has a Debian-based edition.

Comment

Originally posted by Templar82 View Post
                  I'm glad "someone" is doing this, its a good step towards the future.
                  That said, I likely won't be using it as it doesn't suit my work case.
                  Progress for the sake of progress with no real benefit is just dumb though.

Ubuntu -- We've dropped 32bit support.

Average -- Is it faster?

Ubuntu -- It's leaner and easier for us to maintain.

Average -- IS IT FASTER OR BETTER IN ANY WAY?

Ubuntu -- No, not really.

Average -- Can I play Stellaris?

Average -- What about my printer driver? Is that covered?

Average -- I'm gonna go check out Suse, Fedora, or Manjaro since they'll allow me to play Stellaris while waiting on my dissertation on the battle mechanics of Final Fantasy Tactics to print.

Ubuntu -- Why are we now 87 and falling on Distrowatch?

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

Of course, same like Aspyr dropping support for macOS Catalina

https://www.techradar.com/news/heads...ort-for-32-bit

This Ubuntu story is quite similar plan like macOS is doing, just a bit later on
                    Yeah, it's pretty much making macOS Catalina a shit option for gamers, and I can't wait to see the fallout when OpenGL and OpenCL support is finally pulled in a release or 2 after that? Then even most 64-bit games on Mac won't work lol. They will either have to ported to leverage Metal or MoltenVK.

Valve might respond to this by making the Linux steam client purely 64-bit but I doubt they'll do anything in regards to supporting the 32-bit games as they also require 32-bit driver libraries that would likely cause all sorts of segmentation fault havoc trying to bundle that in the steam runtime. I personally think the community will come in and save the day with a fork of multi-lib if Canonical doesn't reconsider, or they'll just keep losing share to Arch-based distros that tend to be 2nd place in desktop use popularity.
                    Last edited by Xaero_Vincent; 18 June 2019, 06:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

More likely Mint or even CentOS 7/8. Suse is a very niche distro.
                      Mint is a fork of Ubuntu which is not 32bit anymore...you didn't think that one through. Shit, as is Mint considered closing up shop recently...they're not going to pick up the 32bit torch when Ubuntu drops it.

Both Cent and Suse both have official AMDGPU Pro drivers making them prime Steam candidates. RHEL is the only other choice and don't nobody wanting that for their gaming OS.

Comment

Working...
                      X