Ubuntu 19.10 To Drop 32-bit x86 Packages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Weasel View Post
    Yeah, you're a lost cause, repeat same shit and ignore what I say. What part of software being data you don't understand here?
    I don't ignore you, I refute your inane points and you're clearly just not used to being proven wrong with the way you're actually complaining that I don't agree with you.

Most software serves a practical purpose and outside of legacy software it, and the other software that it relies on, changes over time. A format like MP3 on the other hand is standardized and set in stone before it even starts seeing widespread adoption meaning that as long as you haven't screwed up somewhere there's no additional cost to continued support.

Even more so, using your own analogy, 32-bit applications run just fine on new hardware. They don't run just on hardware from the 1990s, they run on today's hardware, so your analogy is retarded.
    Yes, they run on today's hardware because of a very large duplication of effort where loads of libraries and supporting software is made available as both i386 and x86_64 binaries. My point is that outside of niche applications like legacy software that can be containerized in some form or run in VMs this simply a waste of limited developer resources.

Like CD+cassette players and VHS+DVD players this is all ultimately unnecessary bulk and maintenance work for very limited benefit when VMs and containerization solves the issue of legacy software and the developers getting off their backsides solves the issue for software that's still being developed. Once legacy software has been containerized/VM'd it's no longer going to require any additional maintenance work and neither is in-development software after it's fully x86_64.

Here's a better analogy: It's like saying my Blu-Ray player supports reading CDs/DVDs (i.e. the CPU can execute 32-bit code), but the driver refuses to do it because of retarded reasons like yours. In effect, the driver refuses to utilize my player's functionality of reading CDs/DVDs.
    Not only is the amount of additional hardware and software required to play CDs on a blu-ray player negligible, the standards for the discs are set in stone. Supporting CDs, which have followed the exact same set of standards since the standards were written in the 1980s, only requires you to put in the effort once and then support's just going to be there perpetuity. With i386 software on the other hand the libraries that non-legacy software are going to be using need to be maintained meaning that unlike supporting CDs in blu-ray players there is a continuing cost of doing so.

The reason why I brought up VHS and C-cassettes as an analogy is like i386 because there is a very clear cost to continuing support for good reason. Not only do they all contribute to unnecessary bulk, they need constant maintenance.

In other words: If you continue to support i386 in perpetuity the cost stemming from the necessary duplication of effort to do so will also continue in perpetuity.

Yeah, that's retarded buddy.
    Well look who's talking...

And what's the reason for people continuing to produce mp3 files?
    The fact that it hasn't been made obsolete and that pretty much everything under the sun supports it perfectly with barely any maintenance burden whatsoever?

Your stance would make some kind of sense if it was arguing for dropping x86_64 instead, but all it really amounts to is a weak argument for continuing a very large duplication of effort so that lazy developers don't have to move on and that VM:ing/containerizing legacy software is somehow too hard.

Originally posted by the_scx View Post
    What a bullshit. Multimedia frameworks are not abandoned too. Both FFmpeg and GStreamer are constantly evolving. From time to time, developers take care about refactoring (i.e. GStreamer 0.10 → 1.0) and improving the code. It is definitely not constant.
    None of that is actually about maintaining support for MP3, a format that's been set in stone since the 90s. You're also talking about general maintenance work which is either completely optional or then it's because the developers screwed up.

Anyway, the whole drama about dropping support for multiarch was pathetic. As you can see, they have time and resources to support it. They only needed a little motivation.
    Way to completely miss the point there... It's not about them not having the resources, it's about how those resources are spent in the most productive way as they're very obviously not infinite. Legacy software can be containerized or VM'd while the problem with non-legacy software still being i386 binaries or reliant just requires a firm kick up the figurative backside of lazy developers.

Ubuntu developers have no impact on software developers who target the Windows platform.
    No, but that doesn't mean that they can't containerize or otherwise move over the maintenance of the necessary libraries to more interested parties.

It makes sense in the Windows world. Developers use standard tools to create installers, and they produce 32-bit binaries, at least by default. It make sense because this kind of installer will run on Windows x86 (x86-32), Windows x64 (x86-64) and Windows on ARM (AArch64). Moreover, there are literally zero benefits in changing it.
    The fact that Windows is wasting developer resources on duplication of effort really doesn't mean that everyone else has to do it or that you can't mitigate it by having the necessary libraries provided and maintained by Wine (which is what they're planning on doing because of this).

No matter what you call it, all the packages I mentioned here are supported on ppc64el and s390x.
    I think you need to re-check that because those really aren't going to be supported.

Could you explain me why GNOME Mines and Cheese are so important in the server system on mainframes? Because I really don't get it.
    Because they're both part of the standard GNOME packages and servers still provide DEs? The fact that you're including a webcam application for an OS that clearly isn't going to be connected to any makes it fairly obvious that we're talking about something that's just tagged along with an actually useful component.

I see that you can. First of all, you need a free GPU to pass through it to the virtual machine. Secondly, it may be extremely hard or even impossible to install new drivers on the old system. And the old ones certainly will not handle new hardware. Let's say you bought a game for Ubuntu 6.06 LTS. Try to install on this distro the newest NVIDIA drivers that will support GeForce GT 1030. Good luck!
    You do realize that software renders exist and when software's that old it's obviously going to run fast enough even in a software renderer. Unless of course your requirement is for it to run at 300+ FPS, which is just plain silly so I'm not even going to assume it's your next argument.

Again, backward compatibility is important mainly for software, not hardware. No one uses 286 on desktop anymore, but some people may want to run applications that were written for Windows 3.11.
    Seeing how you didn't catch the smileyface at the end of the email, he was being sarcastic!
    Last edited by L_A_G; 26 June 2019, 10:37 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
      Most software serves a practical purpose and outside of legacy software it, and the other software that it relies on, changes over time. A format like MP3 on the other hand is standardized and set in stone before it even starts seeing widespread adoption meaning that as long as you haven't screwed up somewhere there's no additional cost to continued support.
      What's the difference between a library that decodes mp3 and a bunch of libraries for 32-bit support that you have anyway for 64-bit and just need to rebuild?

The mp3 library has extra code.

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
      Yes, they run on today's hardware because of a very large duplication of effort where loads of libraries and supporting software is made available as both i386 and x86_64 binaries. My point is that outside of niche applications like legacy software that can be containerized in some form or run in VMs this simply a waste of limited developer resources.
      I don't give a fuck what you consider niche. I don't use mp3 because it's inferior so is that niche as well?

Like CD+cassette players and VHS+DVD players this is all ultimately unnecessary bulk and maintenance work for very limited benefit when VMs and containerization solves the issue of legacy software and the developers getting off their backsides solves the issue for software that's still being developed. Once legacy software has been containerized/VM'd it's no longer going to require any additional maintenance work and neither is in-development software after it's fully x86_64.
      And if you need mp3 support then just use a VM with an old OS that has mp3 decoding libraries. Same logic.

Not only is the amount of additional hardware and software required to play CDs on a blu-ray player negligible
      Again your opinion.

the standards for the discs are set in stone.
      32-bit x86 ISA is set in stone and has been for a very long time. It does evolve but it's backwards compatible so it won't break existing apps (you don't have to use the new features).

Supporting CDs, which have followed the exact same set of standards since the standards were written in the 1980s, only requires you to put in the effort once and then support's just going to be there perpetuity.
      You're joking right? You literally need to change the laser to read a CD on a Blu-Ray player.

With i386 software on the other hand the libraries that non-legacy software are going to be using need to be maintained meaning that unlike supporting CDs in blu-ray players there is a continuing cost of doing so.
      Yeah like I said, retarded. You maintain those libraries anyway because they fucking exist for 64-bit already.

The fact that it hasn't been made obsolete
      LMFAO.

We have ogg vorbis, opus, AAC, and you think mp3 is not obsolete in terms of technical prowess.

Yeah, talking to a wall here.

and that pretty much everything under the sun supports it perfectly with barely any maintenance burden whatsoever?
      Same with 32-bit? Your imaginary maintenance burden is the exact same for mp3. In fact it's worse, you need extra code for it. For 32-bit libraries, it's usually the same library that has a 64-bit version so you just need to recompile.

Comment

What's the difference between a library that decodes mp3 and a bunch of libraries for 32-bit support that you have anyway for 64-bit and just need to rebuild?
        If you think all you need is just to rebuild and that's it then you've obviously never worked with any code that's complex or subject to quality standards (i.e you need to ensure it every build works properly). That's also before the additional space wasted on having multiple binaries of the same code.

The mp3 library has extra code.
        Yes, but not something that's constantly changing as it's implementing a specification that was standardized back in the 1990s. How many times do I have to point out that maintaining additional builds of the same complex and ever changing codebase is not free?

I don't give a fuck what you consider niche. I don't use mp3 because it's inferior so is that niche as well?
        So how much software do you use that's no longer maintained? Because I'm pretty sure that most software that's used, particularly in the open source world, is software that is being actively maintained.

And if you need mp3 support then just use a VM with an old OS that has mp3 decoding libraries. Same logic.
        Unlike 32 bit builds of various libraries and utilities that are still in active development, any halfway decent implementation of an MP3 decoder has zero maintenance cost and won't take up more than maybe a dozen KB of disk space. So unlike unnecessary 32 bit builds of libraries, removing it makes zero sense.

Again your opinion.
        Yet you still act like your opinion is an argument... Hypocrisy much?

32-bit x86 ISA is set in stone and has been for a very long time. It does evolve but it's backwards compatible so it won't break existing apps (you don't have to use the new features).
        The ISA may not be changing, but software does and thus thus there is a maintenance cost for every build you're maintaining. As I said, the MP3 spec was set in stone back in the 90s so it's obvious that any halfway decent implementation will have been honed to the point there is zero reason to touch it and hence any maintenance cost will be negligible.

You're joking right? You literally need to change the laser to read a CD on a Blu-Ray player.
        Yes, a secondary red laser that is put in at manufacture time and then left there with no need to touch it for the lifetime of the player. Lasers in the early to mid 90s may not have been completely reliable, but manufacturing methods have advanced to the point that the laser is going to outlast almost every single moving part, none of which are going to be just for red laser use.

Yeah like I said, retarded. You maintain those libraries anyway because they fucking exist for 64-bit already.
        Right... So you don't understand the concept of maintaining multiple builds of the same software yet you feel the need to throw around insults like a 12-year-old. Must be nice living in your mother's basement.

LMFAO.

We have ogg vorbis, opus, AAC, and you think mp3 is not obsolete in terms of technical prowess.
        The thing about rendering things obsolete is that you first need to create something substantially better that people abandon that thing for it. LaserDisk was a significant step up from VHS in many regards, but you can't exactly say that it was ever made obsolete by it. No, it just never expanded beyond a marginal enthusiast format that was made obsolete by DVD together with VHS.

Yeah, talking to a wall here.
        Well look who's talking...

Same with 32-bit? Your imaginary maintenance burden is the exact same for mp3. In fact it's worse, you need extra code for it. For 32-bit libraries, it's usually the same library that has a 64-bit version so you just need to recompile.
        As I keep saying, if a codebase doesn't change there's no reason to run any QA tests on it. If your code is as complex as most system libraries and utilities are in a modern OS you absolutely do need to run proper QA on every single build you're going to be distributing.

We're not talking about some hobby projects here. We're talking about code that's used in production and upon which a lot of important software people's jobs rely on are built. As such every build of the software needs to go trough proper QA and you can't just trust it'll work perfectly on every ISA it's built for if it works on one of them.

This is not amateur hour, this is serious code used in production by paying customers. The standards you apply to your little hobby projects drawing ASCII penises in the terminal simply do not apply.

Comment

Yes, but not something that's constantly changing as it's implementing a specification that was standardized back in the 1990s. How many times do I have to point out that maintaining additional builds of the same complex and ever changing codebase is not free?
          If the mp3 library is not changing then why are the other libraries changing? There's nothing to maintain if they don't change.

So how much software do you use that's no longer maintained?
          A lot. Maybe half. Because it just works. Half of it isn't even open source to begin with (though it's likely free).

The ISA may not be changing, but software does and thus thus there is a maintenance cost for every build you're maintaining. As I said, the MP3 spec was set in stone back in the 90s so it's obvious that any halfway decent implementation will have been honed to the point there is zero reason to touch it and hence any maintenance cost will be negligible.
          You obviously have no idea what you're talking about and how many different mp3 implementations there are, so I won't bother. And I'm not even talking about superficial differences but for encoders especially. The spec has nothing to do with implementation.

Yes, a secondary red laser that is put in at manufacture time and then left there with no need to touch it for the lifetime of the player. Lasers in the early to mid 90s may not have been completely reliable, but manufacturing methods have advanced to the point that the laser is going to outlast almost every single moving part, none of which are going to be just for red laser use.
          WTF is wrong with you? You think a physical piece doesn't need testing? Maintenance costs? But an automated build of a library has more costs? Are you trolling now?

Right... So you don't understand the concept of maintaining multiple builds
          Yeah very much maintenance especially with automated builds compared to a physical hardware like a laser.

This is really pointless. No matter how sane analogies are presented, all you bring up is your superficial "maintenance cost". In fact, you can just use that phrase to counter anything at this point, it doesn't even matter how idiotic it is.

As I keep saying, if a codebase doesn't change there's no reason to run any QA tests on it. If your code is as complex as most system libraries and utilities are in a modern OS you absolutely do need to run proper QA on every single build you're going to be distributing.

We're not talking about some hobby projects here. We're talking about code that's used in production and upon which a lot of important software people's jobs rely on are built. As such every build of the software needs to go trough proper QA and you can't just trust it'll work perfectly on every ISA it's built for if it works on one of them.

This is not amateur hour, this is serious code used in production by paying customers. The standards you apply to your little hobby projects drawing ASCII penises in the terminal simply do not apply.
          Because totally rendering stuff unable to run is better than have it crash due to lack of QA. Right. 10 IQ Logic.

Comment

If the mp3 library is not changing then why are the other libraries changing? There's nothing to maintain if they don't change.
            We're not talking about abandonware libraries here, we're talking about libraries that are obviously in both active development and active use by software that's also in active development. Meaning that there's going to be bugs discovered, optimizations and general improvements to be made. MP3 decoding on the other hand is such old hat and performing a completely standardized task that there's really no reason to re-implement it or even touch existing implementations as those have reached a point where there's really no point in trying to improve them anymore.

A lot. Maybe half. Because it just works. Half of it isn't even open source to begin with (though it's likely free).
            Well then you're obviously an outlier and even at that you only need to containerize it or set up an i386 VM once as it's obviously not going to change.

You obviously have no idea what you're talking about and how many different mp3 implementations there are, so I won't bother. And I'm not even talking about superficial differences but for encoders especially. The spec has nothing to do with implementation.
            Missing the point again? When you have a spec set in stone there is zero reason to change a working and well made implementation. The fact that there are many different implementations neither escapes me nor counters my argument in any way as any decently put together implementation will have gotten to the point of no longer needing to be touched.

When you have a spec that's been unchanged for over a quarter of a century you're obviously going to have any eagerness to experiment out of your system and arrived at a good working implementation that just doesn't need to be touched anymore. Hence any halfway decent MP3 decoder will have long since arrived at the point where there's just not going to be any maintenance cost to it.

WTF is wrong with you? You think a physical piece doesn't need testing? Maintenance costs? But an automated build of a library has more costs? Are you trolling now?
            A physical piece with no moving parts needs to be tested once and if it's as bomb proof as a modern CO2 laser that one test is really all you're ever going to need. By the time that laser will need to be replaced it will be long past the end of the usable life of the player itself due to wear and tear on the moving parts, none of which will be solely used by functionality related to the red CO2 laser.

Yeah very much maintenance especially with automated builds compared to a physical hardware like a laser.
            If you think a build is never going to break or that the attitude of "If it builds, it's fine" is an acceptable outside of personal hobby projects and academic settings then you've obviously never worked on complicated software or software that's meant to be used in production environments. In an environment like that you simply cannot trust that nothing is going to go wrong like you're doing.

This is really pointless. No matter how sane analogies are presented, all you bring up is your superficial "maintenance cost". In fact, you can just use that phrase to counter anything at this point, it doesn't even matter how idiotic it is.
            The fact that you trust that a build is never going to break and that if it builds, it's fine, just proves you have no idea of what maintenance for production quality software actually entails.

Because totally rendering stuff unable to run is better than have it crash due to lack of QA. Right. 10 IQ Logic.
            Rendering it unusable? Maybe if you're computer illiterate and don't know how to containerize it or run it in a VM. Seeing how you've demonstrated that you've got no idea of how production quality software development actually works I probably shouldn't put it past you to not know how to do either of these things.

Comment

We're not talking about abandonware libraries here, we're talking about libraries that are obviously in both active development and active use by software that's also in active development. Meaning that there's going to be bugs discovered, optimizations and general improvements to be made. MP3 decoding on the other hand is such old hat and performing a completely standardized task that there's really no reason to re-implement it or even touch existing implementations as those have reached a point where there's really no point in trying to improve them anymore.
              You can always improve the performance by using new CPU features/instructions, or have better quality encodings (not talking just about decoding). Everything you listed "bugs discovered, optimizations and general improvements to be made" apply to the library as a whole, which applies to it anyway because you build it for 64-bit.

Missing the point again? When you have a spec set in stone there is zero reason to change a working and well made implementation. The fact that there are many different implementations neither escapes me nor counters my argument in any way as any decently put together implementation will have gotten to the point of no longer needing to be touched.

When you have a spec that's been unchanged for over a quarter of a century you're obviously going to have any eagerness to experiment out of your system and arrived at a good working implementation that just doesn't need to be touched anymore. Hence any halfway decent MP3 decoder will have long since arrived at the point where there's just not going to be any maintenance cost to it.
              ENCODER broski. And even for decoder you can do performance/energy improvements using new CPU features or simply better algorithms.

If you think a build is never going to break or that the attitude of "If it builds, it's fine" is an acceptable outside of personal hobby projects and academic settings then you've obviously never worked on complicated software or software that's meant to be used in production environments. In an environment like that you simply cannot trust that nothing is going to go wrong like you're doing.
              So what's worse: unable to run the software at all due to idiotic decision, or having it "break" because untested?

I go with the former. At least there's a (high) chance that it will work with the latter.

Rendering it unusable? Maybe if you're computer illiterate and don't know how to containerize it or run it in a VM. Seeing how you've demonstrated that you've got no idea of how production quality software development actually works I probably shouldn't put it past you to not know how to do either of these things.
              Generic buzzwords, here have a cookie, superb argument, could say the same thing to you.

I don't want a container, because these apps could also benefit from improvements to the libraries (like Wine does). I also want full desktop integration, not a single hurdle, meaning when I open a file, I don't want a single trace of the "container" or "portal" or whatever bullshit. Period.

I mean, it does run that way today... why would I want a degraded user experience?

Comment

You can always improve the performance by using new CPU features/instructions, or have better quality encodings (not talking just about decoding). Everything you listed "bugs discovered, optimizations and general improvements to be made" apply to the library as a whole, which applies to it anyway because you build it for 64-bit.
                As I said, this long in there's just not going to be anything of important left to do with a quarter century old specification. Even if you start putting in improvements for new CPU features, building for i386 will necessitate a whole bunch of extra work with alternative code paths and ensuring that those code paths are always followed correctly.

ENCODER broski. And even for decoder you can do performance/energy improvements using new CPU features or simply better algorithms.
                It doesn't really matter if we're talking about encoders or decoders. Both implement the same specification that's been unchanged for a quarter century and even if you just try to add support for new instructions additional builds for ISAs like i386 which lack those instructions will still cause additional headaches.

So what's worse: unable to run the software at all due to idiotic decision, or having it "break" because untested?
                As I said, you're still going to be able to run your obsolete software using methods like containerization or VMs. If you can't containerize it or get a VM going then you issue is one of PEBKAC and not something Canonical is guilty of.

I go with the former. At least there's a (high) chance that it will work with the latter.
                Software relying on i386 builds of libs and utilities still works because of a significant effort to do so. Once this effort ceases said software needs to be removed as bug will obviously be uncaught and end up lingering, which is obviously not acceptable in software that's sold commercially.

Generic buzzwords, here have a cookie, superb argument, could say the same thing to you.
                If basic QA and "production" software are just buzzwords for you it's fairly obvious you've never done software development professionally. As such you really shouldn't go around acting like you know anything about producing commercial software used for use by professionals.

I don't want a container, because these apps could also benefit from improvements to the libraries (like Wine does). I also want full desktop integration, not a single hurdle, meaning when I open a file, I don't want a single trace of the "container" or "portal" or whatever bullshit. Period.
                The fact that the i386 binaries won't be provided by the OS doesn't mean that builds of newer versions aren't going to become available elsewhere. With Wine the developers have said that they'll be providing their own i386 binaries and those will obviously be updated as never versions are released. It'll probably even help them with making a better experience as they can then count on everyone having the exact same version of the libraries rather than the absolute cacophony of versions provided by different distros.

I mean, it does run that way today... why would I want a degraded user experience?
                Maybe you're not the only person in the world? Maybe those resources are actually better spent on other things? Maybe you're just entitled?

Comment

• Y'all are still going at it?

At least me and starshipeleven shut up about it after a day.

Arguing is fine, but, damn, y'all's gettin' a bit ridiculous at this point.

Comment

• Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                    Y'all are still going at it?

At least me and starshipeleven shut up about it after a day.

Arguing is fine, but, damn, y'all's gettin' a bit ridiculous at this point.

Comment

• This is hilarious, and the smug responces are even better!

1. Seriously stop using Ubuntu like yesterday, they are a bunch of woke elitists who have contributed nearly nothing intentionally.

2. This is the real open source community, a bunch of toxic self-hating totalitarians, I regret spending so many working years in this cesspool.

I don't much care for the world open source built, where users are more dis-empowered than ever, and their software is written by people who hate them.

Last edited by techzilla; 02 April 2020, 01:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X