KDE Is Looking For Ideas On New Goals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rlkrlk View Post
    As for bugs, this has been around forever. I looked at it way back when and IIRC the mount options are hardcoded somewhere. One of the many bugs filed against kde4 was https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=168914; I opened https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=364955 3 years ago for KDE5.
    So it seems like they've not had much exposure to devs, or it's low priority based on what devs want to work on or what matters to most of the user community? You could try letting Nate know about it directly. He chimes in on KDE threads sometimes, Or on reddit r/kde he is u/PointiestStick - give him a PM? Some users chime in on the weekly blogpost comments too, briefly describing a bug that matters to them and linking to a bugreport(s). Nate often responds positively to such, especially if you've already filed a bug report

So worth a shot?

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

source please!!! :d

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post
        I'm confused... are these instructions intended for KDE? There's "Configure Desktop" for me rather than "Customize Desktop", but there is no "Location" and sub sections you're referring to. Is this advice for KDE before 5.x?(I've only used since 5.9). For me the configure desktop option from right-clicking the desktop brings up Wallpaper section immediately with the first option being "Layout" as described above, you just change from "Folder View" to "Desktop".
        They're for at least Plasma 5.15.5 since that's what I have.

Right Click on the Desktop and select Configure Desktop

And then go down to Location and set a Custom location.

Comment

Nice find, thanks for sharing.

Comment

KDE3 let you specify default and per-volume filesystem mount options. I'd simply like that option back.

I'm not referring to the 8 or 11 byte filesystem label. I don't care about that. But I want noatime -- very, very badly -- and I want the filenames from my camera memory cards to look like

dcim/100canon/img_0000.jpg

rather than

DCIM/100CANON/IMG_0000.JPG

which can be controlled by means of the appropriate mount options.
            default mounting options are governed by- afaik- udisk2, not the DEs. While windows does mount vfat usb sticks with the sane options, linux still has a decade or two to catch up (ffs even now nautilus fails to remove files from vfat usb sticks properly!).

Comment

My point is that Linux offers a number of options for name translation, but KDE 4 and 5 hard code a particular option where KDE3 allowed me to change it. The default is fine as a default; I'm not asking that that be changed, but I want to be able to control it without having to sudo mount -o remount (this script runs as me, not as root).

My script handles it by translating the name, but I'd rather just be able to rsync rather than having to write my own code. Yes, I know shortname=lower is a bit crude if I care about interchange with Windows, but I don't. All I want is what was available in KDE3: the ability to change it per volume.
              There is a strict reason why this option is not good to normal users. If you go though the KDE3 bug reports you will find problems with that option.

I missed this post
              dcim/100canon/img_0000.jpg

rather than

DCIM/100CANON/IMG_0000.JPG
              I did note it before.
              PS Read that carefully and you will notice why Cameras default to uppercase everything. Storing long name when short name is lower or mix of lower and upper cases cuts down on your number of directory number of files per directory because long filename entries consume directory entries. Sometimes file system design issues are pure pains in ass. Yes forcing lower than copying files can cause event where a directory fails to copy because the new directory will have too many files due to creating long file names. shortname=lower is not without it major case of nasty teeth. Maybe a file copy option todo transformation as you copy on and off media would safer.
              Let say you now copy dcim/100canon/img_0000.jpg to dcim/101canon/img_0000.jpg. Simple enough right. This now end up creating two directory entries because it lower case. Worse if you copy this to base directory and have a device that stupidly has the 512 root directory on fat limit you could end up crossing this and have camera brick..

lower Force the short name to lower case upon display; store a long name when the short name is not all upper case.
              I also quote the man page for very good reason it really to simple to forget your are double consuming directory entries on fat when you put a lower case file name on there.

We are using rsync to transfer some (millions) files from a Windows (NTFS/CYGWIN) server to a Linux (RHEL) server. We would like to force all file and directory names on the Linux box to be lower ...

Person provides example of using LD_PRELOAD to alter rsync behaviour. Doing it this way instead altering the mount reduced risk of shooting self in foot.

Yes I wish there was a rsync option to lower case all files that is straight forwards.

One of the fun parts is in theory rsync can do it. Please do note the in theory. The --iconv if you could pass i like a UTF-8-lcase that was a UTF-8 charset configured to sub out upper case for lower case like you do on mac with UTF-8-MAC to swap non Mac chars.

There is more than 1 way to skin a cat. The horrible part is that rsync can do it but you are missing Charset todo it.

Changing the mount option basically brings issue for the unaware. Fixing the case in rsync with a charset or LD_PRELOAD avoids that problem.

I am not sure that you should be playing with mount options at all to deal with this problem. Fix the charset problem and rsync and other tools using iconv can be used. Basically I personally believe you are looking at the wrong location to skin the cat.

Comment

Originally posted by danmcgrew View Post

I don't care WHAT else you do, but for God's sake, make ALL text pure black on pure white.

What is with this new age shit of making the contrast of text as bad as humanly possible, like gray letters on a light blue background? Or even gray letters on a white background? Designed by a millennial wuss, who thinks he (she) is doing something cute; simply because they can do it, and for no practical reasons whatever except to play with the computer; certainly not with the end user in mind.

Make it look just like a newspaper, or a properly printed book. Black on white. Period.

"To the software developer, 'User' is synonymous with 'Idiot' "--anon...

...and vice-versa, in an unfortunate amount of cases.
                This is actually not a good suggestion, mind you.
                Not that it misses by far... I wholeheartedly agree that having an insufficient contrast is extremely hard to bear... But pure black on pure white is in fact too much contrast for human eye...
                The recommendations nowadays are "close to black but not it" if you're on pure white, and reverse. As for how to choose what tint to use for that "impure black", basic and working strategy is adding just a feint touch of the primary color you use for your theme.

As for what I'd want for KDE5...
                Probably those 3 things...

1. "continue polishing interface WITHOUT TAKING OPTIONS AWAY" (something that hurt me much last time I tried KDE5) : I understand and approve the need to guide newcomers and people that just want to adjust sensible settings... But the ability to completely tailor behaviour and appearance was, together with the included apps (leagues above equivalent in other desktop feature-wise), the reason I got into KDE and sticked with it. Having to search by myself in a more or less cluttered "advanced" menu is a compromise that I would deem fine.
                Which brings me to the two other points.

2. "Clean up the KDE desktop 'market'": again it has been some months since I last tried to browse it, but over the years and including that last time, I have been incredibly frustrated with my experience, between packages that are in fact just links to tar.gz that you have to understand how to make work by yourself, packages that seem to install but do not work at all (probably targeted against older versions, broke with KDE newer) and the like.
                It is my biggest gripe with the desktop since I'm on KDE (so since like 2000), like I've been scammed with the promise of a configurable desktop that is all words and no acts. It's especially annoying when you see there are actually beautiful themes and useful Konqueror/Dolphin add-ons that probably worked... 6 years ago.

3. "Continue improving reliability".
                Those aforementioned points are something I daresay most people could bear as long as they are confident desktop won't suddenly break in daily use (Wayland going crazy, unresponsive or unmounting drives for no reason, baloo overusing resources and making pc unusable etc). I'm not saying there are many such bugs today. I'm saying I definitely won't migrate to KDE5 (at least on my main computer) until I have 100% confidence I can, very simply, work without fear my environment will fail myself.

Beyond that, optional points would be:
                - Make/improve documentation to create KDE add-ons: I know how to read some code, I fancy myself as being curious and openminded, yet I would totally feel overwhelmed trying to create an add-on. Knowing where to follow a detailed example would help motivate me. :=)
                - Improve Activities (if it hasn't been dropped yet): I loved the concept, but they obviously didn't have enough time and ressources to push the concept into something intuitive enough to be really usable. I don't think there is much missing though (in features. I guess in code it would represent a huge amount of code).

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                  They're for at least Plasma 5.15.5 since that's what I have.
                  Bizarre. You have much more options there than I do, on the sidebar I only have 3: Wallpaper, Mouse Actions, Tweaks.

I'm also on Manjaro, but I haven't updated since March / April I think(not a great idea I know). I'm on Plasma 5.15.3, Frameworks 5.56, Qt 5.12.2, Kernel 5.0.5.

Oh it's probably the apps update to 19.04 I bet. I do need to get my system ready for a reboot so I can install that. The Dolphin memory bug fix would be useful, just been very busy + need to do a bunch of things for a safe reboot that I've been putting off.

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post
                    Guys: No joke, no trolling: After 8 years, I switched to Windows 10: No tearing, watching amazon prime finally in HD quality, everything is faster (even Firefox with WebRender enabled by default) and flicker free. No desktop freezes (Ubuntu 19.04), no graphic errors (KDE). I had enough of quirks. Maybe my next PC will be even a mac.
                    And if I really need Linux: Windows supports even this within its subsystem. I gave Windows 10 a try after so many years and I'm looking forward.
                    I do miss the KDE's file search system (baloo?)- it searched text within the pdf files as well as other meta-data (id tags in mp3s, etc). Does anyone know anything comparable for windows (preferably free)? I also miss the apparmor.

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post

Bizarre. You have much more options there than I do, on the sidebar I only have 3: Wallpaper, Mouse Actions, Tweaks.
                      you have to switch to folder view then - the top option ("layout" in german) in the "configure desktop" dialogue

Comment

Working...
                      X