Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Is Looking For Ideas On New Goals

Phoronix: KDE Is Looking For Ideas On New Goals

Following KDE's 2017 goals, they are now looking to revise their goals or double-down on their current goals, so they could use your help in determining their road-map moving forward...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'd settle for an out-of-the-box install that doesn't look like complete ass. As much as I admire the KDE devs and their positions on many things like not putting up with Nvidia's crap, installing KDE on Arch has always left me with a horrible desktop. I know a lot of people favour functionality over appearance, and I respect that, but I like a nice looking DE, and Gnome gives me that, KDE doesn't. Settings menus with large blocks of grey space really don't appeal to me.

Comment

Very nice of them to actually ask what users might want.

Comment

KDE 3.5 feature parity would be a nice goal.

Comment

Polish, and a lot of it.

Whilst Nautilus is dwarfed compared to Dolphin in terms of functionality, Nautilus does look much more polished, it doesn't look like a bunch of widgets added to a canvas.

Comment

GIMP 2.10 XCF support by KImageFormats please.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
              I'd settle for an out-of-the-box install that doesn't look like complete ass. As much as I admire the KDE devs and their positions on many things like not putting up with Nvidia's crap, installing KDE on Arch has always left me with a horrible desktop. I know a lot of people favour functionality over appearance, and I respect that, but I like a nice looking DE, and Gnome gives me that, KDE doesn't. Settings menus with large blocks of grey space really don't appeal to me.
              Funny how opinions differ ^^
              I find KDE one of the most usable defaults, breeze is a beautiful theme (although i prefer breeze-dark) and the default task bar and start-menu are at least OK. I agree with the default system-settings-look though.
              And i must say i find it funny that you hate gray empty spaces on KDE, but mention Gnome (the master of wasted screenspace in regards to window decoration) as a good example

Comment

Arguing about defaults has to be the worst suggestion ever. Besides avoiding being completely counter-intuitive, there's no way a default setting will cater to every user (or even the majority of users). Case in point: I'm also using KDE on Arch and I have absolutely no complaint (having as smooth an experience as I did on Neon).
                For those that don't like to thinker, there's another DE that shall remain unnamed

Comment

They actually have put up with nivida lately. They merged a couple of rendering patches for AMD and Nvidia GPUs, and added Nvidia EGL Streams Wayland support.

Comment

Did they ever fix the problem in Dolphin where USB drives would report being ready to disconnect before they actually were? Data loss-causing Stuff like that always made me uncomfortable using Dolphin to organize my files. Which should be a top priority in my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                    X