Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are Arm chips implementing a form of ME

Hi everyone, am new here.
    I have been looking to replace my laptop with something that is free of intel 's ME chip.
    I read an article on here about three laptops that are aarm64 based running windows, and about an effort to
    get Linux running on them.
    This lead me to check out a git hub page, where a group were trying to get Linux onto these laptops.

After reading a little, I discovered that this is not a simple task, with lots of problems getting the install and boot process up and running.

Am not in any way clued in to how this works, but I do see that microsoft is currently running on these laptops,
    and am concerned their setting up a trend to make these devices their own, in that their firmware currently is
    making life difficult for Linux, just wondering if this is chip related as in another form of an ME type chip is
    being used, or a software version is implemented.

Both intel and microsoft in my view are respnsible for leading others down the safe computing road, and all that entails,
    am just wondering if microsoft are now setting similar trends that the manufacturers will tend to follow because of microsofts
    impact on the sales of such devices, a lot of people think microsoft is the god of the OS world, and will follow them.

I am so non technical that I hope I have put my fears across regarding the ME chip fiasco that I never want to see on another chip ever,
    and thus my concern regarding ms 's involvement with manufacturers building ARM based laptops / devices, intel cant very well influence
    them, but ms can.

Any info for this noob would be much appreciated.

Anyone know if there is an ME type chip on the Arm chips that microsoft can run on.

Comment

Well it seems arm is going to be a great opportunity for microsoft, and for qualcom to saddle us with a closed source modem
      built in to their 8cx chip.
      Qualcomm Taking the Notebook Market More Seriously

Earlier this year, Qualcomm announced an Intel Core i5 U-series rival, the Snapdragon 8cx platform, for “premium” Windows 10 notebooks. The chip is Qualcomm’s first designed from the ground up for laptops and PCs. Previous attempts were mostly mobile chips that were reused in notebooks, resulting in poor performance in Windows 10 machines as the chips couldn’t keep up with the demands of legacy PC programs.

Besides a significant improvement in single-thread and multi-thread performance due to the addition of Cortex-A76 CPU cores, the Snapdragon 8cx also brings 10MB of total CPU cache, which means the multitasking performance is much better, too. Arm-based Windows PCs have previously showed weak multitasking performance due to a lack of sufficient cache.

The main downside of the Snapdragon 8cx may not be its performance this time around, but its price. Qualcomm seems to target it at “premium” notebooks, claiming it shows similar CPU performance to Intel’s Core i5 U-series, while promising double the efficiency and 15-20 hour battery life. The Snapdragon 8cx will also come integrated with Qualcomm’s X24 2Gbps LTE modem, which likely further increases the price of the overall system-on-chip (SoC). It’s not clear yet just how competitive the Snapdragon 8cx will be against Intel’s Core i5 price-wise, but chances are it won’t be much cheaper, if at all.

The Snapdragon 7cx promises to be a cheaper alternative to the 8cx. However, considering Qualcomm wants to use it in laptops that cost up to $800 or more, it’s not clear whether or not it will be a worthy competitor to Intel’s Atom-based Celeron and Pentium chips, or to Intel’s Core i3 found in most Windows 10 laptops in that pricerange.

The Chromebook market even less uninspiring than the Windows 10 notebook market in terms of chip options. The vast majority of budget Chromebooks use Intel’s Atom-based Celerons, while only $1,000+ Chromebooks use the Intel Core chips with more reasonable performance. Chromebooks have mostly favored Intel chips, despite the Chrome OS being a CPU architecture agnostic operating system (it’s supposed to run only web applications and isn’t tied down by legacy x86 programs).

We’ll soon start to see both AMD and Arm-based Qualcomm chips in Chromebooks, albeit at a slow pace. AMD seems to be using only three-generation old non-Zen APUs to target Chromebooks, which aren’t a significant upgrade over Intel’s Atom-based Celerons.

Comment

Working...
      X