Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arch Linux Drops GCC 9 From Testing Due To BCache Corruption Bug

Phoronix: Arch Linux Drops GCC 9 From Testing Due To BCache Corruption Bug

The bleeding-edge Arch Linux distribution has resorted to dropping the GCC 9.1 compiler from testing due to a data corruption bug...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Well. I already built kernel with GCC 9.1. Well time to downgrade and build again.

Comment

Isn’t the point of testing to find bugs?

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
        Indeed.. I don't quite understand the point of dropping something from testing.. but there must be some large userbase of rolling release maniacs who use Arch's testing branch on a daily basis for production, and they have no substitute layers for testing purposes.

Comment

Originally posted by GdeR View Post

Indeed.. I don't quite understand the point of dropping something from testing.. but there must be some large userbase of rolling release maniacs who use Arch's testing branch on a daily basis for production, and they have no substitute layers for testing purposes.
          Why? Why would you do something that stupid?

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
            That's beyond my understanding.. I myself consider even using the last Fedora release too audacious for my use case. I generally stay 1 release back if I want something really up to date. Otherwise CentOS.
            Last edited by GdeR; 28 May 2019, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Ever heard of ricers? Gentoo kind of lost the lead and traction when people got tired of compiling new stage 1 packages 50% of the time they spent on their workstations. Now somebody else compiles the core packages so you can fully focus on pulling the latest dev branches from libreoffice, mesa, and rust in order to produce the fresh hourly builds with -march=native and -O6.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
                Well, bug found?

Critical stuff like this is likely reverted so you can still be "testing" all the remaining stuff.

Comment

Basically archlinux has only 2 channels, stable and testing, if they leave gcc 9 on testing that would mean stable would not receive updates until the gcc bug is fixed, so in order to continue the rolling release model securely, testing repos need to also be in good shape.

So this demonstrates that archlinux is not as volatile like many people says. They catch most bugs on testing and if things don't work correctly they rollback to something that does before shipping to stable.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

Ever heard of ricers? Gentoo kind of lost the lead and traction when people got tired of compiling new stage 1 packages 50% of the time they spent on their workstations. Now somebody else compiles the core packages so you can fully focus on pulling the latest dev branches from libreoffice, mesa, and rust in order to produce the fresh hourly builds with -march=native and -O6.
                    1) Someone has to do it. They are called testers. Useful people those.
                    2) If you ever used it, Gentoo is actually much more conservative by default than vanilla Arch.

Comment

Working...
                    X