AMD Announces Ryzen 3000 Series, Radeon RX 5700

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
    Note the active cooling of PCH and M.2 drives, you will be thermal throttled without it when trying to use fully the PCI-e 4 bandwidth

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
      Any info on how RDNA relates to Navi? Is the ISA the same, similar or completely different?

this looks like a great release upon AMDs part. It is really nice to have an alternative to Intel that doesn’t completely suck!
      I'm confused.
      Lots of (said reliable) resources claimed Navi will still be a GCN design, albeit improved.

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post

Note the active cooling of PCH and M.2 drives, you will be thermal throttled without it when trying to use fully the PCI-e 4 bandwidth
        Well, thats the quote from Toms Hardware: "That does come at the cost of higher power consumption; we're told the chipset sucks down 11-15W compared to the previous-gen's 3.5W with PCIe 3.0"

Quite frankly, that sucks for me. I'd prefer to stick to PCIe 3, that's still ample bandwidth for SSDs (and GPUs aswell). Hope some non-enthusiast chipsets will fit my needs (while still coming with modern connectivity), 10W more is alot and I really hate chipset fans.

Comment

No mention of the PSP being either open sourced or firmware-disable-able.

Would also love to see X579 coreboot support... and to see pigs fly...

Really takes the wind out of the sails on these new releases to think how hugely my privacy and security gets regressed in considering it.

Comment

Interesting. I'll wait for Zen2+, DDR5 and GPUs from Intel before I go out to get a new computer. Even though RAM costs peanuts nowadays, I'd rather go for something that will perform much better, and where I'll be able to upgrade the CPU if I need to.

Comment

Will PCIe 4 in Navi require using X570 chipset and new motherboards?

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
              Interesting. I'll wait for Zen2+, DDR5 and GPUs from Intel before I go out to get a new computer. Even though RAM costs peanuts nowadays, I'd rather go for something that will perform much better, and where I'll be able to upgrade the CPU if I need to.
              No need to wait for DDR5 I think, it can take a long time. And good RAM that runs at ≥ 3200 MHz is still very expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by discordian View Post
                Quite frankly, that sucks for me. I'd prefer to stick to PCIe 3, that's still ample bandwidth for SSDs (and GPUs aswell). Hope some non-enthusiast chipsets will fit my needs (while still coming with modern connectivity), 10W more is alot and I really hate chipset fans.
                This applies to NVME SSDs only and only if they are running in PCIE 4.0 mode. If you stick a PCIE 3.0 one or switch mode to PCIE 3.0 in bios you still get what you'd rather have.

Comment

Nothing really too exciting here:

Lower rated TDP though it will be interesting to see actual power consumption in practice.

The "new" Ryzen 9 3900X appears to be a Threadripper 2920X with more total cache, lower memory bandwidth (TR used quad channel memory 3900X seems to use dual channel) and fewer PCI-E lanes (40 for the 3900X, 64 for the 2920X).

Considering that the 3900X is said to be launching at $500 and the 2920X is still selling for $550 (down from about $800 at launch), I expect the 3900X to possible be a bit faster in cache sensitive workloads, due to the greater cache size and slightly higher clock speed; slower in memory intensive workloads due to the lower bandwidth and maybe faster in AVX intensive workloads, assuming AMD actually beefed up the SIMD units on Zen 2.

For me, the only interesting parts will be when the Zen 2 APU's are released, an 8C/16T APU is probably the only processor that could tempt me to upgrade at this point in time.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

If I understand correctly:
                    RDNA is the name of the architecture (in the same way as GCN)
                    Navi is the codename of the chips (in the same way as Polaris).
                    RDNA is probably just a way to give it distinct branding... underneath it probably still uses the GCN instruction set as indicated by the code drops so far. That said it will probably continue as a fork of GCN, with Vega remaining the compute architecture. The CUs are apparently significantly different from Vega enough so that it's definitly a different architecture than any previous GCN GPU it just happens to still execute GCN instructions. Similar to how the 486 and Pentium architectures are vastly different but execute the same ISA.

Comment

Wake me up again when Gen-Z, CCIX, SFF-TA-1002, DDR5 and HBM3 on-die-memory are a thing.

Comment

Working...
                      X