Intermittent blank lines in xfce4-terminal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intermittent blank lines in xfce4-terminal

Mostly I use rxvt-unicode (for my obscure interests, it lets me use Ctrl-Shift-NNN to insert a U+NNN glyph). But on my laptop with a trackpad I cannot reliably copy and past with that. I had already found that running xfce's wm let me increase the size of the mouse cursors on the desktop, so that I could easily see them, so I tried xfce4-terminal. Mostly great (a menu for copy and paste), but from time to time (reading mail, particularly the list of mails, in mutt; using 'make menuconfig' for the kernel, and sometimes just opening a term and running a command with brief ouptut) some lines are blank. In mutt and in menuconfig, the lines reappear if I move the cursor over them.

Google found a couple of similar reports, but without any real details and the people eventually moved to other terms.

I'm running a recent system (LFS/BLFS-8.4) and using amdgpu as my video driver. Has anyone else seen this, and if so: which video driver are you using , please ?

Found another report which suggests it only happens on Raven, and should be fixed by Mesa-19.0.4.

Comment

Originally posted by zerothruster View Post
      Mostly I use rxvt-unicode (for my obscure interests, it lets me use Ctrl-Shift-NNN to insert a U+NNN glyph). But on my laptop with a trackpad I cannot reliably copy and past with that. I had already found that running xfce's wm let me increase the size of the mouse cursors on the desktop, so that I could easily see them, so I tried xfce4-terminal. Mostly great (a menu for copy and paste), but from time to time (reading mail, particularly the list of mails, in mutt; using 'make menuconfig' for the kernel, and sometimes just opening a term and running a command with brief ouptut) some lines are blank. In mutt and in menuconfig, the lines reappear if I move the cursor over them.

Google found a couple of similar reports, but without any real details and the people eventually moved to other terms.

I'm running a recent system (LFS/BLFS-8.4) and using amdgpu as my video driver. Has anyone else seen this, and if so: which video driver are you using , please ?
      Why are you surprised that buggy, incomplete and abandoned software such as xfeces has bugs and issues?

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Learn to read and behave. This is a Mesa bug:
        Needed to track context rolls caused by streamout and ACQUIRE_MEM. ACQUIRE_MEM can occur outside of draw calls. Bugzilla: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=110355 v2: squashed patches and done more rework Cc: 19.0 (cherry...
        Only xfeces terminal has this problem. Other non crappy terminals such as suckless terminal do not have these issues. It is an xfeces problem due to being low quality, buggy software.

Comment

The Xfce desktop is stable and is good for testing graphics drivers. it is much harder to solve bugs when using buggy constantly changing, never ready and buggy gnome3 and kde.
          the xfces desktop is buggy unstable and bloated while lacking any features. Only xfeces users experience problems like faulty terminals and constant crashes.

Comment

Gnome3 is buggy (1 and bloated )2. It uses 800MB RAM after the boot for less functionality than Xfce has with 400MB.

1)https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-shell/issues
            2) https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comme...rison_updated/

You need to install 23 extensions to gnome3 to make it usable. Then it is more slower and uses more RAM.

A garbage desktop the gnome3 is.
            Xfces and gnome shell uses the same amount of ram, but Gnome 3 has much more features than xfeces.
            KDE plasma which has more features than gnome and xfeces combined uses 500mb of ram.

xfeces is unusable without plugins

xfeces does not even have a search function, hidpi support, night mode and many other features that most DEs have. Xfeces is pure bloat without features.

Comment

Originally posted by retardxfce View Post

Xfces and gnome shell uses the same amount of ram, but Gnome 3 has much more features than xfeces.
              KDE plasma which has more features than gnome and xfeces combined uses 500mb of ram.

xfeces is unusable without plugins
              https://goodies.xfce.org/myprepaidbalance

xfeces does not even have a search function, hidpi support, night mode and many other features that most DEs have. Xfeces is pure bloat without features.
              Happy to help! Thanks for leaving a comment.

Comment

Working...
              X