No announcement yet.

Arch-Based Antergos Linux Distribution Calls It Quits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RebornOS seems to be a fork of Antergos that is still maintained. Not exactly sure what differs - some more DE's to pick from by the looks of it. Might be something to check out: https://rebornos.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by stingray454 View Post
      RebornOS seems to be a fork of Antergos that is still maintained. Not exactly sure what differs - some more DE's to pick from by the looks of it. Might be something to check out: https://rebornos.wordpress.com/
      I would trust Devuan more with their severe lack of professionalism than a site hosted at Weebly.

Comment

Originally posted by ypnos View Post

I guess you didn't really get my post which was about making fun of your gatekeeping by paraphrasing. Your argument that you know any better because you are an "old time" user is moot, and I am just an example of another old time user who disagrees with your views.
        Oh no I got it... but ageism is irrelevant my point was that ArchLinux was different then... and they changed it had nothing to do with whatever ageism or gatekeeping crap you are imagining.

Comment

Originally posted by danmcgrew View Post

I won't run anything which uses 'systemd'.

If someone asks for help because their Linux box is acting 'flakey', the first thing I ask is "What distribution are you using?" If they're using a 'systemd distribution', I tell them they'll have to get help from someone else.
          Note that I do not tell someone with 'systemd-box' problems that they'll have to get a 'systemd' expert; there IS no such person.
          what if the issue is not related to systemd?

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post

I've never gotten a broken package in Arch (besides Linux 4.18 issues with Core 2 Duo CPUs, it was in the upstream release anyway), as they're tested before they're rolled out. You can expect breakage when you're using the testing repo, but that will apply to every distribution out there. If there's anything that needs manual attention, information about it is posted in the official RSS feed. Arch is pretty stable and it's low maintenance, which boils down to upgrading packages often, and maybe using pacdiff to take care of configuration changes in software you use once in a while.
            I've gotten at least one broken package this year, but it was fixed within the hour. And yes, it was posted in the package's bug report, but not the official rss feed (probably since it affected few users).

Comment

ArcoLinux as well (created by well-known Linux customizer Erik Dubois): https://arcolinux.info/

Comment

Originally posted by edoantonioco View Post

what if the issue is not related to systemd?
                I'll never know. I'm not going to waste my valuable time finding out that the problem is NOT due to 'systemd'.
                I'm a firm believer in statistics. One ignores the large body of facts surrounding an "issue" at one's peril.

Your logic is tantamount to reasoning that it's perfectly fine to pick up a slavering, snarling animal to comfort it because "...what if its issue is NOT rabies...?".

Comment

Originally posted by Bsdisbetter View Post

It's probably a little presumptious to relate joining this 'forum' with usage of an OS. I've been battling *bsds since the early 90s.
                  Didn't you know, this is what ppl do now?

Step 1: Install Arch Linux.
                  Step 2: Create a Phoronix account.
                  Step 3: Become leet and post about how great Linux is all day ignoring all it's problems.

They forget some of us actually used Unix before Linux was a thing.
                  We are not in the "cult" and echo chamber and we just want to use the best technology available.

Comment

Do you know if the ZFS on root install options only accessible from running the installer via the command line with flags can be found there? That was the main reason I liked Antergos -- the very easy ZFS on root installs.

Comment

• Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Do you know if the ZFS on root install options only accessible from running the installer via the command line with flags can be found there? That was the main reason I liked Antergos -- the very easy ZFS on root installs.
                      No idea, sorry. Did a quick google for alternatives and this popped up, that's all I know about it. Seems to be a fork (copy?) of Antergos with more DE's added. Not really sure what the difference is, I got the impression there might be a bit better base configurations for some DE's.. but other than that, no clue.

Comment

Working...
                      X