No announcement yet.

Arch-Based Antergos Linux Distribution Calls It Quits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Noooo! This was my favourite lazy method for installing Arch Linux on computers. Oh well.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfyrion View Post

In Arch you have to compile everything ??? The same way as you do in AUR???
      No. You get compiled packages.

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post

Keep in mind that Arch users are failed Gentoo users too dumb to install it.

BTW I use Arch.
        Arch user for at least 5 years with 15 archboxes. Installed Gentoo on my 32 core machine to see what the fuss was about, still trying to figure out why exactly what benefits, special powers or other cool perks I get other than the obvious coolness of compiling everything from source with some ability to tweak.

I'm not writing code to cross deploy to x86_64, i686 and ARM, if I was I would be on Gentoo fulltime already. Not sure what other perks I am missing.

Comment

I had problems with the Numix-theme on vanilla arch messing up my distro. I still use a few aur packages but I'm not really dependent om them. Also the light-dm and gnome gtk updates could be a burden introducing black-screens way to often. Polished distros tend to make bad decisions for you Antergos is worse than Manjaro when it comes to that despite past reputation.

Comment

When I started with Arch , Arch still had that ncurses installer , it had the BSD like init (I don't mind systemd , it's actually a very modern approach, I just dislike it's author ) , this nice little kdemod project (-which became the sucky Chakra distro some time later-) and the great rc.conf which realy kept things simple .

Besides the ports like ABS , the great AUR, the best wiki and best community (helpful, skillful while less arrogant then the Slackware, Debian and Gentoo ones from my experience), the overall orientation towards desktop users and the fact that this was my first distro where things really worked out of the box

Arch was a great experience , and iam not sure if I would still use Linux if I didn't stumble over Arch back then ... Unfortunately a lot of it is gone by now .

This post has nothing to do antegeros(which I never tried) of course , except that I want to say that it is totally fine to use it as an Arch installer simply because Arch had an installer and the old arch with an installer , was even more geared towards K.I.S.S principle or the the Arch way then it is now , the "btw I use Arch" people, who say otherwise are just to arrogant or to young to remember .

That isn't true for Manjaro btw , as another user already wrote "if I wanted something green with a strange name I would use suse , because it has that cute gecko" .
            ​​

Comment

On the other hand the current way to install arch is also kinda easy, fast and straightforward , with the help of the wiki and for people with basic Linux experience. Much easier and much much much faster then the Gentoo approach.

Comment

I had Antergos for quite a while. I've even spent time improving their wiki. I don't believe their audience can be big. If you want rolling release use Manjaro, else use Ubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
                  IBM software is like not having electricity: badly designed, never ready, full of bugs, difficult to use, hides things, slow, resource hog, All of this intentionally because of the IBM-Microsoft partnership to prevent the success of the Linux desktop.
                  This probably makes sense for people with mental health issues.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post

Arch user for at least 5 years with 15 archboxes. Installed Gentoo on my 32 core machine to see what the fuss was about, still trying to figure out why exactly what benefits, special powers or other cool perks I get other than the obvious coolness of compiling everything from source with some ability to tweak.

I'm not writing code to cross deploy to x86_64, i686 and ARM, if I was I would be on Gentoo fulltime already. Not sure what other perks I am missing.
                    It's one of the very few distributions that can provide optimized binaries for everything, it allows one to remove a bunch of stuff they don't need or use (like with FFMPEG, I use maybe 6 of their 400 supported codecs), it has a very good handbook (that matters to me, maybe others), it's supported in more places than Debian making it the real universal OS, and it gives (dumb) one(s) bragging rights to the rest of the Linux community.

I've wanted to switch so I could do an experiment -- go hardcore with a hardened profile with all mitigations in effect and compare that to a regular profile with no mitigations or things that will slow code down. Just curious how all these mitigations have effected us and that's the only real way to tell. Would also like to throw in two other tests -- GentooLTO+Hardened & GentooLTO+no_mitigations. I'll never do that, but damn am I curious about the results.

No disrespect to Michael, but his benchmarks with kernel mitigations enabled/disabled only show us so much and the only way to see the full extent of the damage done would be to use the same sources with and without the mitigations at the compiler level as well as the kernel level.

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post

Ok, so your 15 years vs my 12 years... frankly why should I care that you've been using it maybe 3 years longer?

Also here we have another hypocrite... that wants to "gatekeep" me as he puts it, that's rich.
                      I guess you didn't really get my post which was about making fun of your gatekeeping by paraphrasing. Your argument that you know any better because you are an "old time" user is moot, and I am just an example of another old time user who disagrees with your views.

Comment

Working...
                      X