Arch-Based Antergos Linux Distribution Calls It Quits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
    Oh noooooooo :-( This was my favourite and fastest way to install Arch. Guess I have to use and develop by own script now.
    With distros with the quality of Void Linux, I think a lot of distros around would fall.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiba View Post
      Judd's Arch, with the glorious rc.conf... a distro for a more civilized age :')
      I don't think it's a coincidence I'm now on Gentoo too. Arch changed into something we cannot love anymore. It's current obnoxious userbase however seems to like it.
      I remember the glorious rc.conf
      At first, when Arch moved to systemd, I wasn't very excited... The young Arch user that I was really liked this rc.conf thingy (among other things like the AUR). I still went with the flow. No way I would have switched to Gentoo, as good as a distro it may be.
      Fast forward to today. systemd is everywhere. "Every" distro uses it. Big DE are depending on it. GNU/Linux is becoming GNU/systemd/Linux more and more.
      I still warmly remember the rc.conf. However, I appreciate the fact that whatever distro I'll end up using, it will have systemd as unit system. No more headaches trying to figure the right syntax when doing init related tasks.
      Moreover, I acknowledge that I am now using GNU/systemd/Linux. Replacing usual tools with systemd tools isn't such a bad idea. I recently switched from GRUB to systemd-boot and I'm quite happy with the result.

TLDR :
      I had two choices. Fighting against systemd or learning to live with it. I chose to learn.
      I don't know if GNU/Linux would be a better thing than GNU/systemd/Linux but I'm satisfied with the result.

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
        There's no need for such distributions (especially when they have their own repositories) when ubuntu (or any other "user-friendly" systemd distro)
        Ubuntu isn't as up to date as Arch which Antergos/Manjaro and others are derivatives of(not sure if that's the correct wording, but you know what I mean). The Arch Wiki is great, but it's not always going to apply to other distros 1:1, it generally does afaik for the derivatives. The AUR, I've not come across any equivalent with other distros, I know they have their own similar offerings, but I've not found them to be satisfactory when considering switching, nor did I want to package and maintain what I use in the AUR just to adopt something else.

I use Manjaro, though I might as well use Arch due to the issues I have had with it, most which wouldn't be encountered if I was a casual user and stuck on an LTS kernel(but then I'd probably have less reason to want rolling or the AUR). It's still a nice distro despite that, and the GUI based installers and other management utilities(most of the time), make it more approachable than installing Arch manually or via some script, which are fine but there is nothing wrong with making Arch more accessible to a wider audience by introducing them via GUI installers. If they're using it and run into issues I have, they'll learn more about their system as they go and get to a point that if they want to they could just use Arch directly(I probably will in future).

Comment

I create a project called imglab, build raspbian like linux img with docker.
          It support archlinux/alpine/debian, maybe you can try this if you don't like current installer.
          github repos is sandwich-img/imglab
          Contribute to sandwich-img/imglab development by creating an account on GitHub.

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post

You joined this forum in 2013 so I assume you never used old Arch... if you like new Arch that is fine, but it completely went about face in 2011-2012 and was no longer a distro I wanted to use *at all* as it did not respect my desires as a user.

Also you are the hateful one with the foul language you hypocrite.
            It's probably a little presumptious to relate joining this 'forum' with usage of an OS. I've been battling *bsds since the early 90s.

Comment

Originally posted by TheOne View Post
              I don't understand why some group of people complain so much about systemd... It can't replace the ease of cron jobs with the timers functionality, but for starting services it does a great job and it is so much easier to debug services that fail. Also writing a systemd unit file is much more easier than writing an openrc shell script service file or any other shell script file used by other init systems. Also systemd becoming standard means that developers just need to write a single service file.
              The thing is it's not a standard. I'm sure it wishes it was but it isn't. I'm sure it's a good attempt but in a foss environment there's always going to be dissenters, and that's the big issue with attempting to become a 'standard'. It just reduces the count of init systems (of which apparently is only a small part of the monolithic systemd).

Comment

Originally posted by Bsdisbetter View Post

It's probably a little presumptious to relate joining this 'forum' with usage of an OS. I've been battling *bsds since the early 90s.
                Heh, perhaps so but it's all I had to throw :P

Comment

I won't kick a dead horse but i'm not overly sad Antergos is gone. I could only get it installed twice in my life. Always had different error messages during Install. Manjaro has given me far fewer issues. I do applaud Antergos for allowing the user to sellect their DE during install.

Comment

Originally posted by PublicNuisance View Post
                    I won't kick a dead horse but i'm not overly sad Antergos is gone. I could only get it installed twice in my life. Always had different error messages during Install. Manjaro has given me far fewer issues. I do applaud Antergos for allowing the user to sellect their DE during install.
                    Being able to pick your DE is like being able to choose what you'll be hit with in the face. I assume there are no options to pick just a window manager and roll with that, and I assume it also expects the user to want a graphical login manager. All of these are just bad choices.

Comment

I have used both Manjaro and Antergos but I have never installed arch as I was having some issues with a raid setup.
                      Anyway now I am using a single 1TB nvme drive so it shall not be a problem.

Just 1 question since I am using a lot of packages from official Manjaro repo and some of AUR.

In Arch you have to compile everything ??? The same way as you do in AUR???

Comment

Working...
                      X