Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post

why not use manjaro, im pretty happy with it
    Because I want Arch! Antergos did just enhance Arch user experience, Manjaro just tries to do to many things differently and sticks to outdated packages!
    Last edited by R41N3R; 21 May 2019, 05:24 PM.

Comment

I think Arch's relatively manual installation method is part of the charm and is the perfect way to show new users how some important things are done under the hood. For experienced users it can be easily automated. If you're not interested in learning these things, what's the point of running Arch to begin with?

Comment

I don't understand why some group of people complain so much about systemd... It can't replace the ease of cron jobs with the timers functionality, but for starting services it does a great job and it is so much easier to debug services that fail. Also writing a systemd unit file is much more easier than writing an openrc shell script service file or any other shell script file used by other init systems. Also systemd becoming standard means that developers just need to write a single service file.

Comment

I agree, Manjaro is the better polish anyway. Sorry to see anyone pack up shop though.

I recently tried to do a kubuntu 19.04 install on a customer's brand new system (new Ryzen CPU and GTX 1660 Ti) and the distro kernel's initramfs had bad juju and was just hanging with a blinking cursor when trying to boot the system after the install. Kernel command line options and text mode showed it was happening while trying to initialize the initrd. So I did a Manjaro install and it worked perfectly and turned out to be a pretty nice system. So I did a Manjaro install for myself and it's going to be my new gaming environment (Steam and Lutris). Almost finished tweaking.

Comment

Originally posted by TheOne View Post
            I don't understand why some group of people complain so much about systemd... It can't replace the ease of cron jobs with the timers functionality, but for starting services it does a great job and it is so much easier to debug services that fail. Also writing a systemd unit file is much more easier than writing an openrc shell script service file or any other shell script file used by other init systems. Also systemd becoming standard means that developers just need to write a single service file.
            It isn't the nicer things that people hate (if they were implemented as separate utilities perhaps people would adopt them) , its the general design philosophy, feature creep, and general non unixy way of doing things. People hate having changes for no reason shoved down their throat especially when they disagree with most of the changes.

Comment

If arguments about systemd are going to have any credibility they need to one.

1) Stop making up crap, it's really hard to filter legitimate criticism from junk that keeps getting repeated.
              2) Argue how you would do it differently
              3) Go about making it.

Debian init scripts didn't work on CentOS and vice-versa, meaning downstream packaged init scripts for various bits of software, which is dumb. systemd unit files means upstream can ship one unit file that works on any distro that uses systemd.

You'll also inherit the hosts preference for logging, run targets, sandboxing, pid files, resource limits etc with zero effort on your behalf.

That's actually one of the major reasons that Debian moved, and I presume Arch too.

Comment

Sad to see Antergos go, it was my favorite distribution before switching to Manjaro. However, as of today, I've converted my Manjaro installation into a pure Arch distribution by switching out the pacman mirrors lists and fixing a few config files and replacing some Manjaro-specific packages and kernel--fairly messy. I got tired of waiting for Manjaro to package up the Nvidia 430 driver, while vanilla Archlinux has them up. :P

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
                  Debian init scripts didn't work on CentOS and vice-versa, meaning downstream packaged init scripts for various bits of software, which is dumb. systemd unit files means upstream can ship one unit file that works on any distro that uses systemd.
                  Yet another init system and format for initscripts is not a solution it is just adding to the problem... it's a classic fallacy. Had either Debian or CentOS etc... extended thier format to work in all cases the other needed and thy both adopted the same format that would be a solution, instead something no one wanted was adopted, from a developer that has historically draw lots of ire, practically universally without consulting the users and against many of the developers as well. systemd is about as inelegant solution to the problems as could be imagined... plain launchd even would hae been better.
                  Last edited by cb88; 21 May 2019, 05:48 PM.

Comment

100% of the times, people against systemd really don't have the slightest clue about Linux yet feel strongly opinionated about it. They can safely be ignored, as they usually will flock together and disappear into the Devuan community and/or the XFCE community. Systemd is brilliant, and complaining about it at this point is like complaining that we have electricity. Ya dig?

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post
                      Because we started using arch The Arch Way
                      Judd's Arch, with the glorious rc.conf... a distro for a more civilized age :')
                      I don't think it's a coincidence I'm now on Gentoo too. Arch changed into something we cannot love anymore. Its current obnoxious userbase however seems to like it.
                      Last edited by Shiba; 22 May 2019, 06:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X